Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-02-2008, 08:03   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
New Fastcat 58'

At African Cats a new FastCat is being designed with a total lenght of 58 ft or 17,67 meters , the waterline lenght will be 55 ft 5 inches or 16.89 meter.
The FastCat 555 as she will be called for the waterline lenght will have an empty weight of 9800 kilo or 21600 lbs with a payload of 7500 kilo or 16500 lbs
This FastCat will be produced with epoxy resin infusion, our lightweigth method using Carbon , basalt , closed cell foam and Kevlar.
Glass will no longer be used because of the better and stronger quality,s of above mentioned materials.
The main fiber used will be Basalt because of its strength and noise dampening quality,s .
Basalt fiber is also fire proof and bonds better to epoxy than glass.
The first 2 FastCats 555 have been sold and if anybody is interested let me know, we can mail you our monthly updates.

Old 16-02-2008, 09:14   #2

Are you moving back to kevlar and away from Twaron?

Old 16-02-2008, 12:47   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Actually Kevlar is the same material as Twaron , one is made by Dupont and the other is made by Tejin , we still use the Tejin version called Twaron and are very happy with this material ,giving our cats extra impact resistancy with a lower weight.

\Greetings
Old 16-02-2008, 13:34   #4

Congrats on the new launch Gideon.

Good luck with the new boat.

Joli
Old 17-02-2008, 00:23   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Gideon,
I'm interested. I just did a Google search for a Fastcat 58 and checked your website for one and found nothing. Do you have a URL to the new design or any details? Now your talking the right length for what I am looking for.

David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 09:36   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Gideon,
I'm interested. I just did a Google search for a Fastcat 58 and checked your website for one and found nothing. Do you have a URL to the new design or any details? Now your talking the right length for what I am looking for.

David

No you are right David

We just commisioned the all new design,
What it will have is 4 cabins that can be used for a number of things besides sleeping.
Most of the interior will be a choice of the customer.
It will feature a U shaped kitchen and large forward facing chart and steering station, An excellent dining area inside and outside fit for up to 10 people in comfort.
It will be possible to be sailed single handedly also for long distances so most winches will be electric.
All sail control will be from the cockpit and the cockpit will be behind the saloon so out of the weather.
The lenght to width ratio will be 1:13.5 and the weight will be extremely low, and probably the lowest available for this size catamaran.
She will function as a spacious, comfortable and well performing house on the water , Green Motion will be the standard.
We are almost finished testing the GreenMotion system and it works even better than expected.
We are getting better than 3 Kw per hour while generating and are able to propel up to 9 knots on the 455 FastCat without noise or smoke.
Pricing is set at Euro 1.200.000,00 complete ex Durban and I mean complete , including airco , heating , generators etc.
The option list will be minimal.

I will keep you posted on the new design.

Greetings

Gideon
Old 17-02-2008, 10:05   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gideon,
A few more questions: Will it have carbon spars? Will the galley be on the bridge deck?..(her requirement). Will it have daggerboards? Will it have a helm located both port and starboard where I can see the sail trim? How much weight allowance is there for amenities?...like a washer/dryer? Yes, I am looking for a fast condo. Fast to keep me happy and a condo to keep the Admiral happy. Could I still order twin diesels for propulsion?..I'm still a little traditional in that area in that if one diesel quits. In my opinion a boat that size needs 100+ horsepower per engine to safely maneuver in a tight harbor on a windy day. How fancy or spartan will the interior be? What is the structural warranty on the hull? Will there be a large area available for solar panels along with extra battery capacity?

One of my own little quirks is fire fighting capability. It seems too many yachts are completely inadequate in this area. What are you plans? At bare minimum I would like to be able to remotely flood either engine compartment with CO2 and have remote cable pull fuel shutdowns.

The price at 1.2M Euros (1.75M USD) is very fair compared to what Gunboat and Catana are asking, which at this point in time are my favorites.

Please let me see some drawings when you have them available.

David

Old 17-02-2008, 10:50   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm curious because I have never seen it asked in this forum. What would a delivery crew charge to deliver such a boat to the West coast of the US or to the Mediterranean? How is it charged? By the day, the mile or a flat rate? I would like to sail along with the delivery crew so I can learn some things about distance sailing a catamaran. Do owners go along with delivery crews ever? Any rough estimates on cost? Is it less expensive to put it on a ship? I have seen some pretty large yachts placed on ships. It seems the boat would arrive in better condition (less wear and tear) than if it is sailed to its destination.

Old 17-02-2008, 11:34   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hallo David

Carbon spar and boom will be optional .( around Euro 40.000,00)
The Galley will be on the bridgedeck and no other way.
You have got a smart lady there, nobody wants to be downstairs while all the others are having fun and conversations going.
The kitchen will be positioned between the inside dining area and the outside dining table in order to stay in contact.You have the choice between daggerboards or high aspect ratio keels ( no price difference). The Helm station will be on one side only. do not forget that 98 % of the time the autopilot is doing its thing and having dual outside stations costs a lot of space. You will be able to see the sail trim both from the outside station and from the seating outside thru lexan marguard openings in the carbon fiber hardtop bimini.
You can take pretty much your whole household with you , the payload is 16500 lbs and that excludes your water and diesel. A washer and dryer is included and so is a dishwasher, This cat will be very complete,Dual radar etc is all included. Yes it will be possible to order twin diesels but I doubt that you will, after trying out Green Motion , do not forget that the extra resistance with twin sail drives or shaft drives is over 7 % and in strong wind conditions that hardly makes a difference but in 10 to 20 knots of wind it will give you between 1 and 2 knots of extra speed. With Green Motion dual generators are included , each one 17 Kw to propel 2 x 15 Kw electric motors , 2 X 15 Kw motors will give you the same power as 2 x 60 HP diesels or 9 knots max speed and 7.5 cruising speed and that is what this cat askes for, do not forget , this cat weights less than a Lagoon 44 and almost half of the New Catana 50.
The Interior will be luxury, you can choose the veneer wood used inside and color of the standard leather in the seating area.
Our structural warrantee is 5 years and the Osmose warrantee 50 years.
4 x 210 watt Solar panels and 1 wind generator will be standard.
(There is space for 4 more on the Bimini and saloon roof)
Battery capacity will be plenty but there is always space to ad more units.
Each engine room will have automatic fire extinguishers standard. 5 more fire extinguishers will be placed thru out the boat.
Liquid gas will not be an option , all cooking will be electric and for the stove this will be Induction cooking.
Basalt Fiber cannot burn and I have the same fright that you have.
We do not even allow candles on board but standard supply the boat with LED candles for your romantic dinners.
Once you see how complete this boat will be the price will seem unbelievable low compared with the 2 mentioned cats.
The cost of labor in South Africa is a lot lower than in France.
The living space on board will be comparable to a 52 ft cat. There will be plenty of outside space and huge trampolines in order to keep the weight low.
The bedrooms will all have California sized King beds or 6 x 7 ft each
The 2 forwardbathrooms will have separtate showers complete with seats and with thermostatic controlled shower heads.
The Toilets will have a bidet function and the boat will have a real outside shower.
A lightweight Rigid inflatable and 6 hp outboard is included and so are the carbon davits.

I have attached the interior and exterior of our older 525 , the inside space will be simular in the new 58 , the hulls will be longer and the design is totally new.
Presently we have commisoned a sketch drawing with 2 diffrent design teams and the one with the best proposal will get the job.
We have given them the parameters to work with and that includes all the above and prior given information.
Please keep in mind thatg we do make alterations in thbe interior if you wish, it is for instance possible to get a complete workshop or diving station instead of a bedroom .
I will keep you posted but keep in mind that the first 3x 58s are sold and number 4 can be delivered in 30 months.

Greetings

Gideon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	163b-p02.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	2719  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 525 interior.pdf (232.9 KB, 211 views)
Old 17-02-2008, 11:55   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I'm curious because I have never seen it asked in this forum. What would a delivery crew charge to deliver such a boat to the West coast of the US or to the Mediterranean? How is it charged? By the day, the mile or a flat rate? I would like to sail along with the delivery crew so I can learn some things about distance sailing a catamaran. Do owners go along with delivery crews ever? Any rough estimates on cost? Is it less expensive to put it on a ship? I have seen some pretty large yachts placed on ships. It seems the boat would arrive in better condition (less wear and tear) than if it is sailed to its destination.

Hallo David

The Cost of A delivery crew of 4 ( we never use less unless the owners come along ) charge $ 2.50 per mile and this includes air fares , food , diesel and insurance for the trip.
In other words a trip to the Carribean or the Mediterranen from Durban costs around USD 20.000,00 , if you have the boat put on a steamer this amount almost doubles and the boat arrives in Houston.
The West coast (San Diego or Los Angeloes )will be 50 % more because of the longer trip
I prefer the skippered method since every item on the boat is used and all wrinkles are ironed out before arrival.
We have a set of deleivery sails so your sails stay new and this set is returned to South Africa for the next delivery.
It would even be better if you could come along for the trip because you will get to know your boat and it is a very nice trip to make.
( 30 days with the wind from your 160 degrees , cape town to barbados and sometimes even longer)

Greetings
Gideon
Old 17-02-2008, 12:10   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I really like your description. I look forward to seeing the plans for the 58' when you decide on which design team wins.

Just to let you know, I don't care much for how Catana's look. Its just my own personal tastes that I think they borderline ugly. I mean no disrespect to Catana owners...I know they are excellent cruising boats otherwise. I also don't care for the midship helm position on the forward bridge deck of Gunboats. I would like to be able to see the sail trim and to not be locked inside the cabin while others are outside socializing.

It's nice to see a boat that more fits what I think I want. I don't see any fatal flaws with your boats so far Gideon.

Does anyone else have an idea of the costs/options for delivery?

Thanks

Old 17-02-2008, 12:22   #12

It looks quite interesting , I get people asking about generally mostly about Cat's so i will keep you in mind .
Do you have any thought and design with long keel instead of centre board , as i tend to recommend that type of design more for charter or cruising . Mostly to do with hitting things like reefs , i know its not going to give as much lift .Just less to worry about as well and less intrusion into living space
Old 17-02-2008, 12:28   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The FastCat 555 will be offered both with daggerboards and mini high aspect keels with winglets so it can be put on the hard or be beeched.
In case of the daggerboard version the bottom will be reinforced with Twaron on the outside to prevent chafing on sand.
My personal choice would be Mini Keels since the weight is substantially less and there is no space used inside.
Old 17-02-2008, 21:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
Actually Kevlar is the same material as Twaron , one is made by Dupont and the other is made by Tejin , we still use the Tejin version called Twaron and are very happy with this material ,giving our cats extra impact resistancy with a lower weight.
\Greetings
I agree that they're very similar (both aramid fibers), but they're not the exact same.

I'm glad to hear that the Green Motion propulsion system testing is going well. I'm on your mailing list. I'm looking forward to reading more about the testing as it progresses. My dream boat includes the Green Motion propulsion system. Hopefully, I can make my dream boat a reality some day.

When do you leave on your Atlantic passage?

Cheers,

Steve
Old 18-02-2008, 06:39   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Martin View Post
I agree that they're very similar (both aramid fibers), but they're not the exact same.

I'm glad to hear that the Green Motion propulsion system testing is going well. I'm on your mailing list. I'm looking forward to reading more about the testing as it progresses. My dream boat includes the Green Motion propulsion system. Hopefully, I can make my dream boat a reality some day.

When do you leave on your Atlantic passage?

Cheers,

Steve
Hallo Steve , we have just passed the 1800 hour testing mark without any real problems and once we are at 3000 hours , the units will be taken apart to check for wear and tear.
If all is as we expect we will mount the motors on the new FastCat 455 that we are building at this moment and we will start doing the local testing cycle both for regeneration and propulsion
The aim we have for these 9,6 Kw units are a top speed of
9,0 knots
7.5 cruising speed at 60 % power and a generation of
3 Kw per motor at 10 knots of sailing speed.
I am sure that once we hit the water we will change props a couple of times before all these criteria are met but once that is done and I am very confident, we will start the dual ocean crossing.
I expect this to be somewhere around June or July

Greetings
Gideon

Tags
fastcat