Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-07-2008, 04:01   #16

Thanks for your warm welcome , as we go through the testing phase with Butterfly I will keep the information flowing.

Dick

Old 08-07-2008, 07:53   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
The 455 is SWEET looking.....that cannot be denied!

imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:57   #18
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Congrats Dick, I am truly envious - and like others, I am certainly looking forward to some updates.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:59   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
Congrats on your lovely new boat. Good to see that you finally got her out sailing after your "initiation" to Africa.

Keep the posts coming as you move along with the testing.

She looks lovely, and the outside finish looks great.

I like the retracted boarding ladder, what make is it Gideon?

Who does your canvas work, and can you reccomend them?

regards

Alan
Hallo Alan

I looked up the make of the retractable swimming ladder and it is Garelick 3 step ladder
Greetings
Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:51   #20

Hi Gideon

I like the design of your anchor holder and chain guide, is this one you have designed and made yourself for the fastcat or is it avaible on the market.

Thanks
Ian
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 13:14   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
Hi Gideon

I like the design of your anchor holder and chain guide, is this one you have designed and made yourself for the fastcat or is it avaible on the market.

Thanks
Ian
It is designed and produced in our factory and it works fantastic.
In 3 years time we have not been able to source anything that works well so that is why we took the expensive route.

Greetings

Gideon
Old 08-07-2008, 13:17   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
Hi Gideon

Thanks
Ian

By the time your are building your boat I can share the design with you at no cost and make enough pictures so you can build it yourself, this particulare one is designed to take a Rocna Anchor in the sizes from 20 to 50 kilo.
Greetings
Old 08-07-2008, 13:43   #23

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
Hallo Alan

I looked up the make of the retractable swimming ladder and it is Garelick 3 step ladder
Greetings
Gideon

Many thanks Gideon,

The roller is also neat as mentioned above..

regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 14:03   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
By the time your are building your boat I can share the design with you at no cost and make enough pictures so you can build it yourself, this particulare one is designed to take a Rocna Anchor in the sizes from 20 to 50 kilo.
Greetings
Hi Gideon
Thank you, at some stage I will come and see you in Amsterdam to pick your experienced brains and hopefully if you have a 455 there I would love a sail and if Alan can get there at the same time we could both be able to appreciate your designs and ideas.
Thanks again
Ian
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:18   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
we had a cat with jib cars on the cabin top as you do and found that having a point further out really helped with sheeting angles when anything but close hauled. With wind abeam or aft of beam we would have a block out on the toe rail we would put the jib sheet through it and then to the winch, it seemed to help our sail trim. Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickj View Post
Hi

Although I have been following this forum for sometime I have not posted here before (does that make me a lurker?). Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Dick. My wife Karen and I are about to become the owners of Fastcat 455 hull 4, called Butterfly.

As Gideon has mentioned we took Butterfly out for her first test sail on Sunday and thought the results may be of some interest to the forum but first some background:-

Before ordering a FastCat we test sailed a range of cats of a similar size including FP /Lagoon / Robertson Caine / Voyage / Privilege /Maxim - as well as attending multiple boat shows to walk around many of the other types on sale. I am approx 6ft 4 inches and this ruled out many cats just by walking aboard them.

We are planning some long term long distance cruising and were looking for something with many of the comforts of home which could be sailed by two people but which was fun to sail.

Butterfly has a good spec for cruising inc air con /heating / dish washer etc. I opted for twin 40 hp diesels - so this is a fairly loaded boat. For the test sail we had 6 people on board but limited diesel and water. It was a beautiful sunny day with small waves and a steady wind that built from approx 10 to 15 knots.

I had high expectations from a sailing perspective as I have sailed all three of her predecessors. She easily met my expectations and compared to any other types of cat I have sailed she was by far the best and above all - fun - to sail.

Butterfly sailed easily up to 35 degrees to the apparent wind (should do better once the genoa is fixed - see below). At 40 degrees into 15 knots of apparent wind we did 6.7 knots. At 60 degrees into 15 knots of apparent wind we did 7 knots. At 90 degrees into 14 knots of apparent wind we did 8.7 knots. Our best speed of the day was 9.0 knots. She tacked easily through the wind with no need to back wind the genoa to push her round.
She really is a fast cat as these speeds were achieved despite a genoa that would not set well (it’s due to be modified some time this week, by the sail maker).

The folks at Fast Cat still have a number of things ( mainly cosmetic) to finish on the boat. I hope to have a second test sail soon when we can try the out the asymmetric spinnakers. I will try to remember to keep some more comprehensive notes on her performance and share them with you .

If you are interested there are some photos etc. see our blog at

of Butterfly and Barnacle

Dick
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:20   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
we had a cat with jib cars on the cabin top as you do and found that having a point further out really helped with sheeting angles when anything but close hauled. With wind abeam or aft of beam we would have a block out on the toe rail we would put the jib sheet through it and then to the winch, it seemed to help our sail trim. Just a thought.
Hi Schoonerdog

Thanks for the tip, I will have to try it out.

Regards

Dick
Old 09-07-2008, 13:13   #27

Butterfly testing continued

Hi Folks

Today was not the perfect day for testing Butterfly - very light and variable winds. We had Craig ( Quantum sails) on board as well as Gideon and some of his people ( Andreas / Kyle) from AfricanCats . Due to Craig's other work commitments we had a limited amount of his time available.

The modified Genoa set well - excellent news ! During the test a number of improvements were noted which varied from the straight forward - changing the mast prebend to the more complex such as moving the position of the main bank of clutches so that the sheets and halyards fed onto the power winch more consistently. I do not intend to list all the changes here - the important point for me is that the improvements were discussed and a course of action agreed. This speaks volumes for Gideon's commitment to producing an outstanding sailing cat.

We did manage to fly our largest asymmetric spinnaker of 125 sq m ( see blog for photo ) despite the unhelpful wind conditions. We achieved 5.7 knots with 8 knots of apparent wind at 90 degrees. The best for the day was 6.3 knots.

Dick
Old 10-07-2008, 10:51   #28
Eternal Member

Is that Craig M?????ton from South Africa? If it is what a SMALL world!
Old 11-07-2008, 09:19   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Is that Craig M?????ton from South Africa? If it is what a SMALL world!
Hi

Craig M?????ton is at Quantum but we were dealing with Craig M???ar - see this link for details.

Quantum Sails South Africa | People of Quantum Sails South Africa

Dick
Old 11-07-2008, 09:32   #30
Eternal Member

If Craig is any kind of sailor like his brother Ian. You can only bow down to the man. The man is like a talking Chapman's book with the experience to go along with it. Ian also hand built his own boat.

Looking forward to more of your post about your sails on Butterfly.......

Tags
fastcat