Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-04-2018, 21:13   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: "Arapaho"
New eutectic refrigeration model

We have been trialling a new eutectic refrigeration system engineered, designed and manufactured here at Ozefridge. It is modelled on the very successful Ozefridge A480 12VDC unit. (And John and Rich will be pleased to know they are only air cooled at this stage!!)

This new model has lots of refrigeration power. During extensive trials in ambient between 18C and 44C, it was able to refreeze it's eutectic plate and maintain a 85 litre cabinet to below 4C temperature with only two run periods per 24 hr day. The day time run was 2.5 Hours and the night run was 1.45 Hours.
Initially this new 'Vertical' stack system will only be available to one client who requires an initial 50 units then batches of 100. Once this project advances we intend to produce a Marine version which will cope with much larger cabinets than systems now available.. More later but here are some pics taken yesterday of the first batch of 50 being fabricated...

The first two pictures are of the new condensing unit. One with and one without cover. The other pictures are of the first batch of 50 systems being fabricated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Project 6 Build 8.jpg Views: 183 Size: 431.6 KB ID: 168414" style="margin: 2px" /> Click image for larger version

Name:	Project 6 Build 9.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	447.0 KB
ID:	168415

Name:	Project 6  Duty cycle data.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	168417 Click image for larger version

Name:	Project 6  Build4 19-04-18.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	168416

Name:	Project 6  Build6 19-04-18.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	168418

Cheers OzePete Ozefridge | 12 Volt Refrigeration Systems

OzePete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 23:59   #2
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: New eutectic refrigeration model

Hi Pete,
Is there any performance advantage of vertical stack?

Are these designed so that components are attached to front of box, making for easy accessibility?

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 05:06   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Pete,
Is there any performance advantage of vertical stack?

Are these designed so that components are attached to front of box, making for easy accessibility?
G'Day Pelagic..
All the same components as our model A480 except the 2 speed condenser fan is larger and water proof, although it is capable of greater wattage than the A480. We designed this system to suit a new product to be released soon so I can't say much about that at the moment. We will most likely be building a lot of these for this other application but we also see a use for this vertical stile of condensing unit to suit some marine situations, specially where unit location may get wet. This unit could be mounted on any wall remote of the eutectic plate and fridge cabinet. More later.

Old 30-04-2018, 21:34   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzePete View Post
We have been trialling a new eutectic refrigeration system engineered, designed and manufactured here at Ozefridge. It is modelled on the very successful Ozefridge A480 12VDC unit. (And John and Rich will be pleased to know they are only air cooled at this stage!!)

This new model has lots of refrigeration power. During extensive trials in ambient between 18C and 44C, it was able to refreeze it's eutectic plate and maintain a 85 litre cabinet to below 4C temperature with only two run periods per 24 hr day. The day time run was 2.5 Hours and the night run was 1.45 Hours.
Initially this new 'Vertical' stack system will only be available to one client who requires an initial 50 units then batches of 100. Once this project advances we intend to produce a Marine version which will cope with much larger cabinets than systems now available.. More later but here are some pics taken yesterday of the first batch of 50 being fabricated...

The first two pictures are of the new condensing unit. One with and one without cover. The other pictures are of the first batch of 50 systems being fabricated.

Attachment 168414 Attachment 168415

Attachment 168417 Attachment 168416

Attachment 168418

This batch is now lined up for fan fitting, then wiring and test run...
This is the biggest single batch we have ever manufactured as one run.. exciting!Click image for larger version

Name:	Project 6 Fan fitting.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	450.2 KB
ID:	169011

Cheers OzePete
Old 01-05-2018, 05:51   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Big Condenser and fan, what size compressor?
Is the two speed fan controlled by condenser temp? I like the all in one, covered as I think the cover will help protect things
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:26   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Big Condenser and fan, what size compressor?
Is the two speed fan controlled by condenser temp? I like the all in one, covered as I think the cover will help protect things
The compressor is 3.5cc and the condenser maintains a high side temperature of 38C to 43C. (Approx 135 to 155PSIG... not under 120PSIG lol! ) The layout is so water / rain can be poured over the unit as sensitive items are at the top under cover and the fan and compressor are water proofed. The condenser (made for us to our design in Thailand) is of cupro-nickel. The controller panel has water proof digital controller and sealed switches.

Name:	Project 6 Build 8.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	169020
Old 13-06-2018, 23:06   #7
Marine Service Provider

We have finally finished the first batch of 50 of these new concept eutectic fridge / freezers and now our client wants another 300!!

This batch of 50 slowed our production of Ozefridge marine systems so our expansion plan is now in full swing to produce both as required.

We had hoped to release this model to other uses but that is still some time off.
Interesting that this system with it's soft start can run direct from solar and needs NO battery power.

This model would be ideal where a user wants to have refrigeration for use on board, on his/ her truck and /or when on shore.

Click on pics to expand..

Name:	Port 0618 2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	171665

Name:	Port 0618 5.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	171666

Name:	Port 0618 6.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	171667

Old 13-06-2018, 23:50   #8

Boat: Catalina 470

Well done Pete, I love hearing success stories.

Sent from my 9001D using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 04:03   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Well done Pete, I love hearing success stories.

Sent from my 9001D using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Thanks Dale.
This product is the result of years of engineering / development and aimed primarily at the commercial and government department sectors.

We and our client are very excited with the end result which saw it exceed their requirements maintaining below 4C cabinet temperature in a 26C night to 40+C day environment with two cycles per 24 hours, one at 2.55 hours and one just below 2 hours.

Cheers OzePete
Old 14-06-2018, 05:34   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Iím still fascinated by that huge fan.
Sounds silly, but I want to make an exhaust fan for our galley to remove mostly the heat and I have a hatch right above the galley that ought to work.
Hatch is 10Ē.
However the only fans like that I can find are 80W radiator fans, and that is just too much power consumption, besides they would likely sound like a leaf blower.
How many watts does your fan draw?
Old 22-06-2018, 07:16   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’m still fascinated by that huge fan.
Sounds silly, but I want to make an exhaust fan for our galley to remove mostly the heat and I have a hatch right above the galley that ought to work.
Hatch is 10”.
However the only fans like that I can find are 80W radiator fans, and that is just too much power consumption, besides they would likely sound like a leaf blower.
How many watts does your fan draw?
Try these 80 watt fans they are quite well made and water proof. Besides what else is there? Either 'chop' the supply down to the speed / air you need or drive via a solid state transformer. We drive ours at much lower speeds.
Old 22-06-2018, 07:49   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK, Iíll try one with a PWM dimmer, didnít think about speed control
Old 22-06-2018, 09:36   #13

Wow, somehow I missed this, **very** exciting stuff!

Any chance the key parts could be sold to DIYers independently of finished units?

I have a very specific size / shape custom box, looking to do freezer + spillover.

Ideally would be in kit form with good instructions, maybe some design / assembly assistance available?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 17:18   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Wow, somehow I missed this, **very** exciting stuff!

Any chance the key parts could be sold to DIYers independently of finished units?

I have a very specific size / shape custom box, looking to do freezer + spillover.

Ideally would be in kit form with good instructions, maybe some design / assembly assistance available?
Hi John,

At this stage we are committed to one client but hope to be able to generally release this product soon.
We have trialled this system direct from a 200 watt solar panel without any battery involved and it maintained required performance criteria. This is made possible with our ECO2 power management, and because the large capacity compressor can refreeze the proper phase change eutectic plate quickly.
Also of coarse it has soft start keeping start current below the run rate at all times.

Tags
model, refrigeration