Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-07-2008, 15:41   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
New ECO Power Cat Is Developed by African Cats

We have under developement a new 42.5 ft powercat that will be hybrid driven with 2 electric 12.0 KW underwater motors will take care of the propulsion and also have the rudder function in them . there will be one 20 KW generator , solar panels and and an optional wind generator. Cooking will be electric so no LPG will be on board.
The battery power will give up to 2 hours of propulsion at 7 knots , top speed is estimated at 10 knots and the fuel consumption will be 5 liters per hour at 7 knots or 1.25 us gallons per hour.
If left on anchor for a day in sunny conditions the solar panels will recharge the propulsion battteries to full and 2 hours of sailing can be done again.
The hull shape will be wave piercing so it is a displacement type cat.
She will contain 2 bedrooms each with a California king sized bed , and 2 bathrooms with separate showers en suite.
There will be no fly bridge and the height above water level will be 11 ft total.
She will be build in epoxy thru resin infusion with the vector K system in order to keep the weight below 6 tons metric or 13200 lbs.
This cat will be CE certified catagory A Ocean going and will have a maximum range of 1200 NM non stop with the standard tanks.
We expect to launch hull number one the end of 2009
Greetings

Gideon Goudsmit
African Cats BV

Old 07-01-2012, 17:13   #2

Boat: too many
Re: New ECO Power Cat Is Developed by African Cats

Gideon,

I also share your vision. I am a graduate of California Maritime Academy and did my thesis on minimum wetted surface vessels (fast ferries). After working on break bulk, container, and oil drilling vessels I developed a strong disdain for the oil industry and 12 years ago turned over a new leaf for sustainable energy. I own (3) fully electric vehicles, one of which was my own design and has won races against gas powered counterparts. I see the problem with naval architects not going with what they know is a vast improvement in design but instead building what is traditional and easy to market. I know your post is 3 years old, but I have only recently turned my attention to my true interest, cruising without the use of fossil fuels, propane, diesel, and gas. I wish your colleagues would have the vision and courage to design and build the 21st century cruiser and not the minor tweaks of old designs. The A-frame mast and all furling sails, deployable kites for downwind, electric drives and regeneration, light, high energy storage batteries, fully electric galleys with induction cook tops, well the list goes on.

What is a bit sad is how I've come to find out about you. I think Green e-motion is right along the lines of what I would strive for, but unfortunately your detractors understand all too well how bots work here on the Internet, and have done such a good job that any search of your name brings up their negatives and how they perceive your treatment of your customers.

Good luck on your intelligent observations on cruising boat designs and systems, as I have had to "roll my own" for land based vehicles and dealt with all the naysayers, and hope your R & D will either make my decisions easier or I'll just become a future customer.

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 20:14   #3

Boat: 55 Frers Mahog

Why not power with LP gas instead? I got rid of my 15kw diesel gen in favour of 10kw LP gas. The 100# tank holds 91 ltrs of LP and every marina has it, for far less than the price of diesel.

My GR 42 Custom was built with no wood or balsa. NidaCore infused with 8mm Kevlar to a thickness of 25mm on the hulls and 38mm on the keel.
Old 25-01-2012, 20:52   #4

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post

We expect to launch hull number one the end of 2009

Gideon Goudsmit
African Cats BV
Not sure if this vessel was built. Old Post with no follow up.

Tags
Africa, African Cats