Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-09-2013, 12:41   #1
Marine Service Provider

Deckhand/Research Assistant Position Available-Toronto to Halifax, NS

Are you looking for a unique adventure this fall?

Pangaea Explorations, a sailing research organization based in Miami, requires two interns with sail experience for a non commercial delivery from Toronto, Ontario to Halifax, NS.

Dates: September 23, 2013 to October 3, 2013
Depart from: Queen's Quay Marina, Toronto- September 23rd.
Arrive: Halifax Waterfront Development Area, October 3rd

Crew members will be working aboard a 72' Challenge series sailing vessel known as Sea Dragon. This ocean going vessel is built for racing but has been converted into a research platform to study the lakes and oceans. Crew members will be assisting in the daily running of the vessel, as well as assisting in the collection of research on plastic and chemical pollutions while en route.

This position is ideally suited to people looking to gain crewing experience and deckhand hours. It is also ideal if you are looking to add field research to your resume. The position is unpaid, but referrals and deckhand hours will be certified by the captain on board.

Please apply by email with CV, including sailing experience, to asta@panexplore.com.

Astamail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 22:30   #2

Boat: C&C Landfall 38, 1979
Re: Deckhand/Research Assistant Position Available-Toronto to Halifax, NS

I'm interested. Would you pay air tickets from Ft. Lauderdale, FL?

CapnAldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 08:59   #3

Hello!

I just sent in my application! Such a great opportunity for sailing advancement! Hope to hear from you soon.

Yours,

Gbelle
Gbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 10:17   #4

What a pile of ****!

Intern = we want suitable/sufficient skills and experience, but we don't want to pay anything ... because we are greedy and cheap, and we want to exploit the current labour market to our own advantage.

If work needs to be done it needs to be fairly compensated. If you can't pay the fare, just walk away.

"Need Interns" is category 1 bullshit.
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 10:23   #5

P.S. Astamail has made exactly 3 postings to this forum, each asking for "free labour" ... which must make he/she/it a clearly lecherous form of community recruitment exercise, rather than a cruisersforum community member.

shame on you for abusing this community! S H A M E ! ! !
Old 14-09-2013, 20:16   #6

I don't think the request is misleading. I did see this group doing fundamental research in the Toronto Harbour this week. I also met astamail in person and some of the crew today. They seem very dedicated to what they are doing, and it is good to see real people engaging in their interests.

I have been reading and using this forum quit regularly for crewing opportunities, to me it meets the intent of the forum.

Sammy
sammy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 20:35   #7

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannw View Post
What a pile of ****!

Intern = we want suitable/sufficient skills and experience, but we don't want to pay anything ... because we are greedy and cheap, and we want to exploit the current labour market to our own advantage.

If work needs to be done it needs to be fairly compensated. If you can't pay the fare, just walk away.

"Need Interns" is category 1 bullshit.

I think you are out of line with your comments... They are asking for unlicensed crew and state up front this is for experience.

People offer unpaid crew positions all the time and if someone is attempting to build Seatime for licensing this is a good way to do it, especially on a larger vessel with a licensed Captain willing to teach.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 02:07   #8

I Disagree Strongly.

This is a for-profit activity. Please see their expedition schedule. Everything has a price attached, some of them quite high. Aking for "free interns" when they generate real revenue is insulting, as is the misleading claim that it is non-profit. They may not make any profit (neither does Starbucks, Apple, Google, etc were I live in GB) but they sure as hell generate real revenue!!!: 2013 Expedition Schedule

Copy-pasta:

Jul 13 Jul 20 Montreal to Toronto $800
Jul 21 Jul 27 Young Adventurers Program Toronto to Cleveland $600
Aug 2 Aug 10 Cleveland to Chicago Private
Aug 18 Aug 26 Chicago to Windsor $1470
Sep 5 Sep 9 Cleveland to Toronto $600
Oct 5 Oct 18 Halifax to Bermuda $2590
Nov 14 Nov 19 Celestial Navigation Bermuda to St. Thomas $2135
Nov 25 Dec 25 St. Thomas to Aruba Private
Old 15-09-2013, 06:39   #9

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Jannw

You obviously don't get it and there is no changing you mind....

I worked for a Non-Profit ship, the USS Potomac, and we charged an admission fee for static tours and passengers when we toured the Bay. We also chartered the vessel to support it. We also provided free student tours and rides to educate them on the FDR administration, World War 2 and their impact on the SF Bay Area.

We had over a hundred docents and other volunteers who donated their time in the museum, the office, the education department and on the ship. The only paid personnel were the Director of the Non-Profit (Which earned less than I did), a part time office manager and the licensed crew, when we were underway.

We also had both the Sailors Union of the Pacific and the Cal Maritime Academy sending people over for free to tpo work the decks and gain seatime and experience on a ship.

So what ever you think about asking for volunteers and charging fees and , it costs to operate a boat. Everything from dock space, fuel, parts and insurance. Of course dry dock every two years, which was about $100k each trip.

So even with the volunteers, it still took well over $200k a year to berth, operate and keep her afloat.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 07:21   #10

Seriously ???

Read their site:

12 passengers: paragraph 2: Sea Dragon

Their "schedule" is abouts 90% paid days passage, on average more than $100/day/person

Assuming 300 days per year, 50% capacity, that's close to 250K pa ... antifoul and slipping each year ain't that expensive (and I lowballed those numbers)

This isn't your USS Potomac, teaching people about history and boats. Different kettle of fish.

Did you read through the "work" they do? Our Work Lots of hand waving about "issues" but it is a little thin on what they actually do on their boat about those issues or how much of ther time they spend. Here's a cynical hint ... not too much. Just enough to justify the "label" of environmentally aware not-for-profit.

It looks a little like a "non-profit" life-support system for someone's expensive boating hobby, and their friends.

So, yes, they should pay their way if they need deckhands. Same as in town.
Old 15-09-2013, 08:03   #11

While docked in the Toronto Harbour, they were also raising awareness on the effects of plastics in the water to the torontonians. This is an area with little research. It certainly gave me some more insight. In Toronto,we draw our city water directly from the lake,while it undergoes some filtration,it certainly will not removed the microsphere plastics suspended in the water. I welcome more research in this area for greater understanding. As I previously did not give much thought about all the plastic water bottles,caps,shopping bags etc,on the streets potentially ending up in the storm sewers and eventually in the lake.

So asking for volunteer deck hands with an understanding upfront on mutual sailing benefits seems reasonable to me.
Old 15-09-2013, 08:21   #12

Seriously ???

Read their site:

12 passengers: paragraph 2: Sea Dragon

Their "schedule" is abouts 90% paid days passage, on average more than $100/day/person

Assuming 300 days per year, 50% capacity, that's close to 250K pa ... antifoul and slipping each year ain't that expensive (and I lowballed those numbers)

This isn't your USS Potomac, teaching people about history and boats. Different kettle of fish.

Did you read through the "work" they do? Our Work Lots of hand waving about "issues" but it is a little thin on what they actually do on their boat about those issues or how much of ther time they spend. Here's a cynical hint ... not too much. Just enough to justify the "label" of environmentally aware not-for-profit.

It looks a little like a "non-profit" life-support system for someone's expensive boating hobby, and their friends.

So, yes, they should pay their way if they need deckhands. Same as in town.
Old 15-09-2013, 12:38   #13

I also explored further on the cost of the specific toronto to Halifax sail. It was a little more than shared provisions, which is typical on a boat owner crewing opportunity. Thus to me it was reasonable for a crewing opportunity on the fundamental research ship.
Old 15-09-2013, 23:33   #14

Shared provisions is also untrue ... when I live on my yacht it's on less than 10 dollars a day, and I live like a king. And I don't have the benefit of "sharing expenses" amongst a group of 10+

$100/day I would have to eat caviar, drink french bubbly, and follow it all down with sacher torte from the hotel sacher in vienna. 3 times a day.

So, No, Still sets off the bullpoo radar

Tags
arc, deck, deckhand, halifax, research