Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2013, 16:38   #1

Boat: Sabre 1984 Mark II 38'
Woolsey Ablative Bottom Paint

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with Woolsey ablative bottom paint. Local supply house has it for $89/gallon. Getting a bit tired of paying $270 for Interlux CRC

Thanks,
Kimball
kimballsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 16:47   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Woolsey Ablative Bottom Paint

I've never used Woolsey, but anytime I've gotten that good a deal on bottom paint, it has cost me dearly.
Old 17-06-2013, 19:50   #3

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I've never used Woolsey, but anytime I've gotten that good a deal on bottom paint, it has cost me dearly.
That's the truth! Was a little short on cash last year, so I got the cheapest bottom paint I could find, west marine cpp. Three months later, there was grass and barnacles growing all over my bottom. You get what you pay for! Planning for another haulout, has not even been a year on that cheap paint.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 20:15   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I used it years ago, but there was stuff in it then ya can't use now LOL but it always was good paint products! At least a lot of work boats used there stuff ! Don't know without a contents list! Look and see what's in it ! Thats the only way to tell ! compare to other paints and see ! Thats what I would do !
Old 18-06-2013, 14:11   #5

Boat: Sabre 1984 Mark II 38'

Yeah, pretty much figured that. I remember helping my Dad paint the bottom of our old boat with Woolseys in the 60-70's, kind of remember it having a good reputation. Was hoping someone else had seen this deal and tried it.

Cheers, Kimball
kimballsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 18:20   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

Woolsey is made by Pettit. Most of the different Woolsey type bottom paints match striaght over to a Petit brand name. Like Yacht Shield SF to Pettit Ultima 40 - same can, same contents, same production line. Check the can for the actual manufactuer, it is the parent company, RPM. The MSDS sheets for each give a good hint too. The same can also gets branded as one of the West paints, I thinks its CPP Plus or similar.
Old 18-06-2013, 18:27   #7

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I used Micron C on my old Hunter 30 for years. The bottom did not look any better than those whose boats used the cheapest stuff. And the Micron C built up to over 1/16" before I sold it.

Over the last 5 or so years I have gone from one step above the cheapest poop I could put on the bottom to stuff in the $175/ gal. Again, I just cannot see a big difference when the boat gets hauled in the fall. I now use the cheap stuff from the yard, I am happy with it.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 18:34   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I used Micron C on my old Hunter 30 for years. The bottom did not look any better than those whose boats used the cheapest stuff. And the Micron C built up to over 1/16" before I sold it.

Over the last 5 or so years I have gone from one step above the cheapest poop I could put on the bottom to stuff in the $175/ gal. Again, I just cannot see a big difference when the boat gets hauled in the fall. I now use the cheap stuff from the yard, I am happy with it.
If the boat is only in the water for a relatively short season, then just about anything will work. Getting multiple years in warm water is where the better paints start to shine.

Tags
paint