Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 07:25   #1

winter cover

Would like to know what type of winter cover works best and if you are happy with it. I live on the west coast of Canada, vancouver island and have talked with a few people to get some ideas. One popular brand is "Lohmann boat covers", but I was told they're not suppose to leak but this person's did, the whole winter season was like a rain forest under their boat. Apparently the seams leak where the stitching was done leaks. Also when the cover was put on by the maker he stepped on their bow windows and other hatch covers. The cover is bulky and difficult to put on. Anyone out there have better experience or know of a better winter cover?
Freedom2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:42   #2

Boat: grampian 26
Re: winter cover

Many here use hay tarps as they come in large sizes and are readily available at most farm outlets. They will last about five years or so but they chafe through if the wind gets under it causing it to flap.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:51   #3

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

90% of the Eagle is cover with either canvas and/or tarps. The largest area is the front deck, 14 ft W X 16 ft L X 5 ft H. The frame work is PBC plastic pipe that is duct tapped together, and the tarp is held down by Tarp Grabbers about every foot with bungee cords. so in the wind the frame work moves/shakes and if the wind is strong enough flatten. I allow the wind to blew under through and over the top and the tarp tight so the tarp does not billow. The salon roof has another tarp using the boom that is also held by Tarp Grabbers and bungee cords last 2 to 3 years.

The stern deck and the Portuguese bridge are canvas enclosed, and 80% of the area is clear space to allow light in and so we can see out. The stern deck we use year around and heat it with w propane Mr. heater when used. Our canvas does not leak, as each year I spray it with water repellant so the rain beads. The canvas is 10+ years old but its repair each year, mainly the zippers.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:02   #4

probably a lot cheaper then having one made, and waterproof too. Thank-you for the replys, I just can't see spending thousands only to have it leak.
Freedom2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:19   #5

The Canvas Store

Been happy with ours. Going on our 5th New England Winter. It's made in 3 pieces that zip together, so is very manageable to install (1 person) and store. It is NOT waterproof, nor designed to be so.
Jake Tanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:10   #6

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Our canvas and tarps are small sections for easy of handing and storing that are zipped together. The stern is 5 sections and the Portuges bridge is 9 sections. The bow and salon are two tarps that over lap. then there are canvas covers for the three storage boxes, the running lights and air conditioner. In the spring and fall when I take the big tarps off the bow, I still have a tarp laying/protecting the teak deck. We have no deck/roof leaks but there is nothing that I have found that hold up to 10 months of PNW rain, wind and cold.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 16:44   #7

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

I built 3 triangular supports out of 2x4's w/ indoor-outdoor carpet stapled over all ends to protect the boat (Catalina 27) and decrease chafe. These supports are secured w/ lines to cleats and winches. I have one triangle at the stern-most section of the cockpit. 2nd triangle is forward most section of the cockpit. 3rd triangle is on the foredeck. Then strung 2x4" the length of the boat w/ 1.5' overhang on bow + stern. Bolted 2x4" (2x10' & 1x12') together for length w/ 2 bolts about 1' apart where 2x4" are joined. I have done this for a few yrs and now use 2 tarps, 1 most worn down first with the newer on top. I tie both tarps down using available grommets, weaving back & forth, port to starbrd under the hull. Tarps are whatever i can find that are 20' x 40' and inexpensive about $40-60/apiece. My current 2 tarps are now on season 3. The 2 tarp system lets in some moisture, but sheds snow readily. Important design is to make the 2x4' triangles tall enof to allow for a peak on the tarp that is hi enof, so when tarp is pulled taut the slope of the tarp from peak to top of stanchion is steep enof. This is unique from boat to boat. Good luck, Dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:06   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I live in New England. We get plenty of snow here (16 inches in the last four days) sleet, freezing rain, you name it!
I've had a Fairclough (Fairclough.com) cover for several years. They are robust and form fitting. I am very pleased with mine!
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:12   #9

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Jim:
No question that Fairclough makes very nice canvas covers, but I have 2 kids in college, am covering a Catalina 27 (a significantly cheaper boat than your Cape Dory), live in Guilford, CT - so feel your pain, re: snow..Plan to move up to a more substantial boat soon and will investigate canvas covers. Has anyone every sewn one themselves? Sailrite has DVD set that describes doing so. I am looking for winter cover patterns for Tartan 33 or Sabre 34. thanks Dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:52   #10

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

Freedom 2015...
We keep our boat in the Apostle Islands on the south shore of Lake Superior and it doesn't get much snowier/colder than that. My cover was made by Shipshape canvas out of Duluth, MN and they probably have templates for hundreds of boats. Service has been absolutely outstanding as has initial fit and quality (and it doesn't leak!). Don't want to sound too much like I'm shilling for them but I cannot recommend them too highly. ShipShape Products Inc - Boat and Marine Canvas and Upholstery
Old 05-02-2014, 11:22   #11

Crude 2 piece winter cover made from one 20'X30' and one 8'X10' poly tarp. Total cost of tarps $75. This cover was done in hast in late November. Snowfall forced me to abandon further adjustments, which I will make next year.
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:53   #12

Boat: 38' Pearson Invicta

I know shrink wrap is expensive (this is my first year ever using it) but is very nice if you want to work on the boat during the winter. As long as the sun is shinning and temperature is 30 F or over it is very comfortable inside. If vented is very dry. The other great advantage is snow slides right off as you can see in photo taken today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1622390_10202807560017312_2045065970_o.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	75367  
Noreastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 17:01   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 31

This was paid for after year four and will last twelve to fifteen years if my friends covers are any indication.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	75378  
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 19:31   #14

Boat: 38' Pearson Invicta

My cover cost a bundle. But I hope it lasts one year and then will never need another "winter" cover again; )
Noreastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 19:52   #15

Boat: Tartan 40
Sea Canvas in NJ did an amazing job with my cover this fall. Top Gun fabric should last for a while. Nicely vented and I have been able to leave some hatches and ports open to vent cabin. Much less moisture than I had in past with plastic, unvented covers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3110732912.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	75400  
malbert73 is online now   Reply With Quote