Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2014, 11:17   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Winchrite battery operated winch handle

You could get a deflecting beam tq wrench and find out exactly how much tq is needed, or surely somebody around you could lend you one to try first.
The Milwaukee supposedly will produce 1081 in lbs, which is 90 ft lbs + or -, sounds high, but maybe it does.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 12:29   #17

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Another good idea, I have on sitting in the shop.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 12:31   #18

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru

Another advantage for the Milwaukee drill is you can use the 28volt battery to power the Milwaukee shop vac. Its a very compact unit with good power use to clean the boat or inflate the dingy. Named ours Broomhilda.
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 12:41   #19

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
There are several sources, here is one. There are issues with just chucking a bit into the chuck, I believe there is a pin that may shear.
I have the "ultimate cranker" which replaces the chuck which keeps weight down and won't break
http://www.thecranker.com/
+1 on the "ultimate cranker". If you just use the bit, it will only work reliably in one direction which reduces the benefit of the two speed drill. Replacing he chuck gives you a really solid connection.

We keep ours in a gym bag which can either sit on the cockpit sole or is stowed in a small hanging locker. We routinely use it to hoist the main or me up the mast. The one caution is that I would want to minimize exposure to water, especially salt. Someone on CF was going to make a nice-looking sleeve for the drill, but I'd still be slow to take it on the foredeck with spray or heavy rain.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 12:51   #20

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
+1 on the "ultimate cranker". If you just use the bit, it will only work reliably in one direction which reduces the benefit of the two speed drill. Replacing he chuck gives you a really solid connection.

We keep ours in a gym bag which can either sit on the cockpit sole or is stowed in a small hanging locker. We routinely use it to hoist the main or me up the mast. The one caution is that I would want to minimize exposure to water, especially salt. Someone on CF was going to make a nice-looking sleeve for the drill, but I'd still be slow to take it on the foredeck with spray or heavy rain.
I am going to give the cranker a tryout. I have had the problem of winding the chuck of the drill in reverse, that is the fast speed on my primary winch. Thanks for the tip.
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 14:07   #21

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

The cranker will unthread in reverse as it only relies on a set screw to keep in from unscrewing. So I disabled reverse on the drill so the crew can not do it by mistake. So only one direction but works great.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 14:11   #22

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave852 View Post
The cranker will unthread in reverse as it only relies on a set screw to keep in from unscrewing. So I disabled reverse on the drill so the crew can not do it by mistake. So only one direction but works great.
That's the value of the "ultimate cranker". You replace the whole chuck (very easy and quick) and then get to use both speeds. (BTW -- no relation to company. Just happy with the solution.)
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 14:30   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've got the neoprene cover for mine, but it does block the cooling air, we got it smoking lifting my fat arse up the mast, but it still works fine. If your going to work it hard I'd suggest not covering the cooling holes
Old 29-09-2014, 14:54   #24

Another solution I have seen used very effectively is an electric anchor winch of the type designed for use on smaller motor boats anchor rode not chain.

The skipper mounted it next to the helm so it could be operated from there. Cost him $1000 in Australia... cheap, simple, effective, permanent and waterproof. No self tailing though.

The skipper Steve is a forum member so maybe he will chime in.

Otherwise the Milwaukee seems like a good solution as others have said.
giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 15:50   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Being a poor man, it didn't take too long for me to realize I could electrify several winches with one Milwaukee drill, plus I didn't have to modify anything, speaks to the lazy part
Old 29-09-2014, 16:10   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

Echoing others, the Milwaukee v28 drill is way to go. Frequently, you can find used tools in the v28 family on craigs list, so the boat tool shop can be equipped relatively inexpensively. Also, Li-on v28 batteries hold charge for long time when not in use,
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 22:06   #27

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day all,

Most of the queried addressed to me have already been answered, so I'll try and comment on the ones missed so far.

It is a heavy beast, and Ann does find it awkward to deploy. However, once you have it plugged into a winch, it becomes pretty self supporting, and all one must do is resist the torque it generates. Since it is much longer than a ten inch winch handle, the forces are less than with a manual winch exerting the same line tension. For use on a mast winch it is necessary to carefully keep it engaged with the winch, but still the weight will be supported by the bit as long as it engages the winch.

We bought a spare battery. It takes around an hour to recharge a flat battery, and having a fully charged spare seemed a good idea to me. The charge level LEDs make it easy to keep ahead of the use curve.

We too worried about rain and salt spray, so Ann ran up a Sunbrella cover. It isn't perfect in that we left the vents unobstructed, but it has helped keeping the thing reasonably dry. Pic attached.

I wanted to be able to use it as a drill motor, so we opted to retain the chuck. As warned, we soon sheared the locking screw in reverse. I was astonished to find that one can not source a simple 1/4-20 x 1 inch socket head cap screw, left hand thread, anywhere in Australia. Who woulda thought? Since we seldom have a useful shipping address, we have not replaced it so far, but I stuck the chuck on with lots of red Lock-tite and it has held up so far (many months, but touching wood surreptitiously).

We normally keep it next to the companionway, under the dodger. In moderate conditions it ends up on the cockpit sole or on a seat much of the time. Do be aware that it has a powerful magnetic field associated with it, and keep it away from compasses. There is one spot in our cockpit where it drives an autopilot compass crazy... that was interesting the first time it happened!

Our primary use is in furling the genoa, which we must do each time we tack or gybe due to our Solent rig. It works wonderfully for that, saving time and lots of cranking. And before you start berating me for needing a winch to furl, just come and try it yourself... a big sail and an old Furlex mean that handing the line is a no go except in very light conditions. It is quite happy sheeting in any of the sails or hoisting the main, but we don't often use it thus. It has hoisted me up the mast repeatedly, and we both like that system better than using the windlass as we did before Millie came to join our crew. The battery lasts for several typical days sailing, or several trips up the mast, and I am happy with that.

All in all, it has been a worthwhile addition to our set of tools for the boat.

Cheers,

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0430.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	89001  
Old 15-10-2014, 16:22   #28

Boat: Hunter 44DS

The only problem with the Milwaukee 0721-21 V28 28-Volt Lithium-Ion 1/2-Inch Cordless Right Angle Drill/Driver is they don't sell them in Australia, and the freight and now our low dollar make it too expensive to buy over seas, plus no warrantee over here.
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 19:37   #29

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akapeterc View Post
The only problem with the Milwaukee 0721-21 V28 28-Volt Lithium-Ion 1/2-Inch Cordless Right Angle Drill/Driver is they don't sell them in Australia, and the freight and now our low dollar make it too expensive to buy over seas, plus no warrantee over here.
A valid point, but the low dollar aspect will affect any such tool, unless built here in Oz. And, have you actually worked out what it would cost to import, shipping via MyUS or some other reshipper? We had a complete Furuno radar shipped by them for apout 220 USD. Finally, the warranty issue is not so important IMO. We have never had a successful warranty outcome with anything since we went cruising full time and now don't factor that into our purchase decisions... Further, the Milwaukee is not likely to have much of a warranty issue, for they are designed for abusive owners! (IE, tradesmen trying to make a buck quickly), and really, this yachting gig is an easy one except for salt exposure and that is not covered by warranty.

Anyhow, that's how I see the choice.

Jim
Old 15-10-2014, 23:45   #30

Boat: Hunter 44DS

I spoke to the agent on this side of the country today (Catalina Yachts) in Queensland and they said that they are taking e-mail addresses so they can notify people when the new shipment of winchrites come in in about a months time. He said they have completely changed the wiring and improved them as in the past 15% of them were failing. He said they will be greatly improved. I will be up in Queensland Dec- Jan so I will have a look then.
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, winch