Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2010, 17:18   #1

Boat: Dufour 455GL
WinchRite

Anyone out there bought the new WinchRite www.winchrite.com cordless electric winch handle? It sounds fantastic particularly for those who sail with female partners of a certain age. Any comments on the 110 MN max torque. How does that compare with the average guy?
The instant appeal to me, is staying at the helm keeping the boat pointed into the wind while Lorraine just grips the switch, no more arguements or swearing!
nickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 10:50   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
That looks like a pretty good tool and an improvement on the "Winch-Buddy" which consists of a right angle battery powered Milwaukee Drill and a winch bit (do a search on "Eletric Winch Handle" and/or "Winch Buddy" for several threads discussing these devices). My only concern would be the endurance of the battery and its ability to be replaced. If the torque spec is for 100NM, thats about 882 inch pounds compared with the Winch Buddy's 600 in-lbs which has been adaquate for us. Note that when heavily loaded, a slightly built person might have some difficulty hanging on well enough to use all of the torque available. This has been something of an issue for my wife attempting to trim our headsails but she has not difficulty hoisting our main or furling our genoa, even under load.

Good Luck!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 06:08   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The “newer” Milwaukee #0721-21 V28 Cordless (battery) Right Angle Drill Kit uses a 28V Lithium Ion battery, and produces 1081 in./lbs.Torque (122 nm). It’s overall Length is 18.5".

“V28" Drill < $400 + Winch driver adapter (“The Cranker”*) @ $19.95 = ± $420

The Cranker - a S.S. Sailboat Winch Drill Adapter Bit

Vs Winchrite 18V producing 110 nm Torque (973 in/lb)
@ $549

* The Cranker - a S.S. Sailboat Winch Drill Adapter Bit

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 06:36   #4

Boat: Hunter 340
I sail a 34 Hunter and the mainsail is a bear to get up. Despite the cost, I will probably buy the Winchrite!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 09:58   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
I sail a 34 Hunter and the mainsail is a bear to get up. Despite the cost, I will probably buy the Winchrite!
Why would you pay about 1/3 more, for a less powerful, single use tool (Winchrite); when you could save over $100 on a more powerful R/A Drill (/w multiple uses aboard)?
Buy the Milwaukee 0721-21 V28 & Cranker drive.

I’m surprised that you need a powered halyard winch on an H34!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 21:07   #6

I'm surprised it's so tough to raise the mainsail too. The last 10 feet are strenuous to say the least. I heard later that this is an issue with the Hunter 340. I have played with the outhaul, but perhaps something else needs adjusting!
Old 26-02-2010, 04:11   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42
There may be an issue with the masthead sheaves if there is that much difficulty getting the sail up the last 10 feet. And, if they are no longer spinning freely, it would really be difficult to apply correct tension to the sail's luff. FWIW I think the earlier suggestions regarding the Milwaukee Drill et al are certainly a more versitile choice. Note, however, that regardless of which device you select, you will very likely have to get your final luff tension with a winch handle as we found on our boat.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 05:08   #8

I agree the milwaukee drill is better value for the money. I have found them for as little as $339 so nearly $200 savings over the Winchrite!
Old 26-02-2010, 05:09   #9

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
ok we are getting there, you blow boaters have the winchrite, now I need the right wench. Bet that is gonna coast more than 5.5 boat bucks.

Somehow it just does not seem fair.
Old 26-02-2010, 05:13   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
There may be an issue with the masthead sheaves if there is that much difficulty getting the sail up the last 10 feet.
This needs to be resolved since any powered winch device can apply tension greater than you may apply by hand and a sail binding in the track or sheave could be damaged.

Powered winches don't know when there is a problem and it is always something you need to watch for. It should not be hard to raise the main on an H33. Consider switching to a batten car and track to make the main halyard hoist with very little effort. It is safer, since it comes down easier too. I'll be doing that with the next main sail I buy next year. Strong makes a nice track insert to convert from slugs to cars.

This same situation applies to roller fullers too. They should not require a tremendous effort to furl a sail.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 17:13   #11

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)
I used to have the same issue om my 32 footer. A little dry lubricant on the slugs worked wonders.
Old 26-02-2010, 17:28   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
What dry lubricant do you use. The track on my mainsail outhaul gets tight right at the end.
hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 18:48   #13
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Maybe some exercise?

Gord's drill+bit idea makes more sense to me than something purpose made.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 22:37   #14

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
I'm surprised it's so tough to raise the mainsail too. The last 10 feet are strenuous to say the least. I heard later that this is an issue with the Hunter 340. I have played with the outhaul, but perhaps something else needs adjusting!
Lube the lugs.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 05:48   #15

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)
What dry lubricant do you use.

I think I just bought it from an auto parts shop. It is used to lubricate door hinges and various other parts. Being dry it does not attract dust and particles like grease, and not such a bother to get on clothes.

It looks like a candle and is just a little softer than candle wax. Maybe there is a specific lubricant that would be better, but this worked fine for me.