Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2013, 20:10   #1

Will an ecozoom stove or rocket stove work and/or hold up in a marine environment?

The youtubes look interesting. From a long-term cruiser's perspective fuel scraps it uses are available everywhere, free and non-explosive. Do these stoves hold up in the harsh marine environment? Who makes the best device? Is there any way to mount one in the galley with venting instead of only cockpit or beach use?
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 20:31   #2

Boat: hunter 376
Re: Will an ecozoom stove or rocket stove work and/or hold up in a marine environment

I looked at a couple youtube vids about the eco stove. It appears to be nothing more than a small wood-burning stove made from little more than a 5 gallon empty metal tin.
Am I missing something?
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 20:39   #3

Something about the ceramic efficiency is the touted advantage. IMO, and only speaking for my situation), there looks to be utility in the concept but that won't help if these stoves can't withstand the corrosive marine reality.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 21:58   #4

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Will an ecozoom stove or rocket stove work and/or hold up in a marine environment

I have a gas bottle welded to a 3 inch pipe stove. Could get away with 2.5 inch.. but any smaller and it will need to be cleaned regularly unless your wood is perfect. 3 inch is optimal because it never needs cleaning. By the looks of the corrosion over 9 months, it probably has 2-3 years. At that time a new one could be made. It took a day to build (by a very person who helped me) but cost nothing.

If you want longer lasting, try stainless, or thicker pipe and tank.. although since I am using standard gas bottle it might be difficult to find thicker.

I use this most days, especially during cold or rain as it seems to turn the rain "off". Can insulate the walls using ash with an inner metal liner to improve efficiency.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stove.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	59979  
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote