Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-02-2018, 17:02   #31

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Which anchor light LED bulb can match a 25 watt incandescent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seas The Moment View Post
. So when you search for a replacement bulb for BAY15, make sure it is not a "dual function" bulb.
This^^^^ and mentioned in post 14.
Many of the bulbs being mentioned and sold are multifunction bulbs.
The one I linked to is a sealed single function bulb and cheap compared to many.

Which anchor light LED bulb can match a 25 watt incandescent?

Old 07-02-2018, 20:27   #32

Boat: Morgan 46 ketch

I suggest a better way to compare brightness would be to set up the two bulbs side by side and run them in parallel off the same supply. Forget the high tech meter and use your own eyes to compare. The meter may be more or less sensitive to certain wavelengths than the human eye.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:24   #33

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
This^^^^ and mentioned in post 14.
Many of the bulbs being mentioned and sold are multifunction bulbs.
The one I linked to is a sealed single function bulb and cheap compared to many.

Which anchor light LED bulb can match a 25 watt incandescent?
I discovered this to be an issue with the bulbs suggested at the top of this thread from superbrightleds.com -- they do not work in my enclosure and seem to require contact to the housing where the pins are on the side in order to activate. They are labeled as "dual function".
Old 09-02-2018, 03:24   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by patja View Post
I discovered this to be an issue with the bulbs suggested at the top of this thread from superbrightleds.com -- they do not work in my enclosure and seem to require contact to the housing where the pins are on the side in order to activate. They are labeled as "dual function".
Thats why I suggested the DR Led bulbs as they work with the series 40 Aqua Signal housing and have 2nm mile range.

Fiddling around with cheaper product sometimes works but mostly ends up in the experience you are having.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:48   #35

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Thats why I suggested the DR Led bulbs as they work with the series 40 Aqua Signal housing and have 2nm mile range.

Fiddling around with cheaper product sometimes works but mostly ends up in the experience you are having.
I'm not so concerned about the 2nm range requirement -- I am pretty confident that every bulb I've looked at is qualifying under that criteria. I am more interested in getting the brightest LED I can.

I have the Marinebeam bulb and will probably end up sticking with it. I also purchased, tested, and returned a bulb from Lunasea which was recommended by Fisheries Supply here in Seattle. It was dimmer than the Marinebeam bulb. They said they didn't like the Dr. LED bulbs as well as Lunasea, and the Dr. LED bulb says "1 watt" which suggests it is unlikely to be brighter than the Marinebeam or Lunasea bulbs.

I have one of these on the way now, which I suspect will be my last attempt to beat the Marinebeam bulb while I have the mast down. I am hopeful as it specifically lists compatibility with the Aqua Signal enclosure and says it is 3.5 watt.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:44   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by patja View Post
I'm not so concerned about the 2nm range requirement -- I am pretty confident that every bulb I've looked at is qualifying under that criteria. I am more interested in getting the brightest LED I can.

I have the Marinebeam bulb and will probably end up sticking with it. I also purchased, tested, and returned a bulb from Lunasea which was recommended by Fisheries Supply here in Seattle. It was dimmer than the Marinebeam bulb. They said they didn't like the Dr. LED bulbs as well as Lunasea, and the Dr. LED bulb says "1 watt" which suggests it is unlikely to be brighter than the Marinebeam or Lunasea bulbs.

I have one of these on the way now, which I suspect will be my last attempt to beat the Marinebeam bulb while I have the mast down. I am hopeful as it specifically lists compatibility with the Aqua Signal enclosure and says it is 3.5 watt.

This bulb looks very good. I might try these on my deck navigation fittings.

After all the advice given, the original poster comes up with the best solution....
Old 10-02-2018, 12:29   #37

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
This bulb looks very good. I might try these on my deck navigation fittings.

After all the advice given, the original poster comes up with the best solution....
That's your opinion.

Personally I prefer the totally sealed bulbs I linked to at a fraction of the price.
Old 10-02-2018, 13:54   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
That's your opinion.

Personally I prefer the totally sealed bulbs I linked to at a fraction of the price.

Yes, you are right, your advice was also good.
Old 10-02-2018, 14:59   #39
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A lightmeter will have some variation from the different spectral emission of a tungsten bulb versus a "nowhere near full spectum" LED, even a "white" LED. But still, they should be close.

Any good bulb supplier or maker will be able to give you brightness specs, in candela or lumens or whatever unit they are using, so the two bulbs can be compared from specs, no need to get a light meter involved.

And apparently the pros at superbrightleds are slipping. They show that bulb as an 1157 type, but it is an 1156 type. The difference can be critical, an 1157 is a DUAL FILAMENT DUAL BASE CONTACT used when one contact is for turn signals and the second powers a bright brake light, things like that. Placing an 1156 in an 1157 socket, or vice versa, can screw things up or burn them out. Unusually sloppy of them. While an 1157 will work in an 1156 socket, it should burn out faster as the brighter filament is not built as heavily.

Tags
anchor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: