Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2017, 11:18   #1

Boat: Knysna 440
Where Do You Shop

I have to admit I have a minor addiction to Defender. We are undergoing a somewhat extensive refit and purchasing quite a few items.

Other than Defender, what is your preferred vendor? Here is a short list of items I am currently shopping for.

Thru hulls
New Chain
Replacement gypsy
2 Refrigerators--Vitrifrigo or Dometic
2 Raritan heads
Dive compressor
Garmin electronics

We are in coastal North Carolina.

Looking for a company with excellent prices and great customer service. We have ordered almost exclusively from Defender so far and are pleased with both, but is there anybody else out there?
BillsWife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 11:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Where Do You Shop

Ebay if you can install yourself. Usually several sellers for the same item. Several marine stores sell there, too.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 13:01   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

https://www.fisheriessupply.com
Fisheries Supply is great to do business with. I live a half hour from Defender so most of my purchases are there. Wait for their big spring sale and save a bundle.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 14:06   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Amazon
Old 30-12-2017, 15:51   #5

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

For the compressor, check scuba.com
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 18:25   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Defender is good, but I found myself buying almost everything from Hopkins Carter, better service from someone who knew his business, and his advice was priceless, and he often sold at or better than Defender prices.
Then he went and sold his business.
I have yet to find a replacement for him.
Thing is, I could call him and ask his advice. I would know what I wanted to do, but didn’t know the best product, he did though.
For example, I wanted to add fresh water hose bibs for the deck, but didn’t know what to buy. He found some investment cast 316 SS 1/4 turn hose bibs that were almost jewelry. Exactly what I wanted, but had no idea what to buy, the same for a cockpit shower and other things.
Defender is great if you know what you want, but not so good to ask advice, and that is priceless.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 19:29   #7

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41

Start with a credit card that will do price matching. Most citi and chase cards will.

Now use that credit card to buy from whomever gives you the best service / delivery (local or shipped) - for me this usually west marine because they have a location 500 yards from my marina, and the next closest chandlery is about 15 miles away. If they don't have it, I go with Amazon (if they have what I need) and free 2 day shipping.

Then find cheapest price online from any internet retailer, and put in a claim for the price match with your credit card.
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 19:47   #8
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

WestMarine.

I have access to a top-tier pro account so the prices are as good as Defender, and sometimes much better on WM-branded stuff and hardware. The people at the Chicago store are Amazing and will bend over backwards trying to help you if you only ask. Their knowledge level is outstanding. These guys are all sailors and know boats and their products. They are not just some kid who when you ask him/her a question they start reading from the box.

They stand behind their stuff 100% and if I buy the wrong thing or too much they take it back at any time, no questions asked, even cut-to-order hose. I can drop by on the way home from the yard and pick it up or have it delivered right to the boatyard from their excellent delivery trucks. When I walk into the store they recognize me know me by name. They treat me like family all the way from the newest new guy all the way up to the general manager.

I know a lot of folks rag on them because they can be somewhat expensive without a discount but even at full retail the service you get for your money is phenomenal compared to a faceless wholesale internet shop. I don't even think about buying anywhere else other than the occasional purchase on Amazon Prime. Sometimes, but very rarely, if it is not in stock and I'm in a real hurry that is my second option to get it fast.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 23:18   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Depends a bit on where you are. In Bahamas we needed a part and found it in used auto part place, in Colombia we had to import what we needed, In most of the Eastern Carib there are good chandlers, in the Med it really depends on where you are as we have gotten parts from everywhere from boat stores to hardware stores to street vendors, in the Black Sea we fortunately did not need parts in Georgia but a failed bilge pump switch was an issue and Russia and our agent found one someplace and in Ukraine we got spare engine fuses in a back street shop - shoes in a chandlery - some fuel filters from a filter shop but the best when the most beautiful dock manager in the world found fuel filters from I have no idea where but she got them - in Istanbul well if you spend enough time looking you can find it and if you can't it can't be had
so it really depends on where you are - we are in Turkey for the last 3 winters and in Kusadasi there is almost nothing but in Marmaris we have more shops than we can count -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 23:27   #10

Boat: Catalina 470

I go through defender. They solve my problems. I even order parts they don't stock through them.

I have no zip code here the Seychelles thus online ordering is difficult as the systems need zip codes to proceed. Defender deals with me via email gets stuff to me quickly. They do a great job.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 09:01   #11

Boat: Catalina 25, 1978, FK, SR.
Where Do You Shop

For the GROCO seacocks I went with Walmart online, competitive pricing and very good delivery time, regards.
VSalcedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 09:07   #12

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler

Try suremarineservice.com for the vertifrigo.
Best prices I have seen.
NakedCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 09:24   #13
rbk

Boat: T37

Aside from the above mentioned if you need hardware, fasteners gaskets etc try https://www.mcmaster.com

For Canadian shopping (might also be a great deal for Americans with the exchange rate:
https://www.marineoutfitters.ca
https://ca.binnacle.com

Both of which have American and Canadian versions of their sites. When purchasing thru hulls no one came close to marine outfitters even before the exchange. Binnacle has limited inventory I find but amazing sales and deals when they come up.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 10:03   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Aside from the above mentioned if you need hardware, fasteners gaskets etc try https://www.mcmaster.com

For Canadian shopping (might also be a great deal for Americans with the exchange rate:

Both of which have American and Canadian versions of their sites. When purchasing thru hulls no one came close to marine outfitters even before the exchange. Binnacle has limited inventory I find but amazing sales and deals when they come up.
Thanks for the McMaster site. Haven’t seen this one. Looks great.

A couple of other good Canadian sites that I use are:

BL Yacht in Quebec (awesome prices at times)

Stright-MacKay

And not sure if Garhauer has been mentioned, but I love their stuff, and their prices are usually quite good.
Old 31-12-2017, 10:06   #15

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post

McMaster for specialty fasteners is amazing .
NakedCity is offline   Reply With Quote