What Jacket to Buy ?

sailing from Aus up to Bali .3 month trip
i have no idea never sailedb4
advice would be appreciated
thanks

Old 11-05-2010, 19:12   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Three months in open water...close your eyes and buy the best quality you can, in case you wind up living in it. The fit of the collar and hood especially are important in wind and rain, so you should actually try some on--not just mail order blindly.

Gore-Tex gear breaths more and keeps you comfortable in high humidity, but "waterproof" (not breathable) gear will be more durable and drier in the long term over the years. Although Gore guarantees their material, and they've been very fast and generous about replacements in my experience, that's no help if it gives up while you're at sea. (Three months, no worry at all. Five years, worry.)

Some makes (Henry Lloyd) also have a beavertail, which pulls forward and up to prevent water from splashing up your jacket, and three small toggles near the zipper which are used to secure a harness type pfd into the correct location. Very handy.

Old 11-05-2010, 21:06   #3

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"
Musto and Gill are both very good brands. I think breathable fabrics are far more superior to non-breathable.
Old 11-05-2010, 22:42   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Assume you'll be sailing in warm conditions. If that is the case, you don't need real heavy duty weather gear">foul weather gear. Gill makes a long jacket which is great for wearing with shorts. The jacket is long enough so you don't need foul weather pants. Ideal set up for warm water sailing.
Old 13-05-2010, 17:35   #5

pirate re jacket

many thanks for your reco' on this much appreciated.
'GILL' seems to be appropriate ... re my name , thanks
Old 13-05-2010, 17:48   #6

Boat: Temporary boatless
Gill has a points rating system; more points is better. For cruising in hot and humid conditions five points gear is the best. Costly, but well worth it.
Old 13-05-2010, 18:07   #7

re:jacket

Hi, much appreciated, i will investigate them
regards G
Old 13-05-2010, 18:41   #8

Boat: Bristol 34
Buy the Gills and you will not regret it. Cheap kit is a false economy, especially sailing kit. Although pricey you can occasionally find deals on ebay, especially in smaller sizes. You may want to buy the inland (lightweight) and coastal (midweight) jackets for day and night - even in the tropics it can get cold at night. If you buy the bibs, the coastal weight should see you through and you can always add thermal underwear if it gets too cold.
Old 13-05-2010, 23:12   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklady54 View Post
sailing from Aus up to Bali .3 month trip
i have no idea never sailedb4
advice would be appreciated
thanks
Buy a CHEAP spray jacket with a light fluffy lining.

Nicolles favorite one is from a ski shop.

We also have the expensive gear which we don't use in the tropics at all. Just a waste of money.

You will be sailing from Australia in the dry season so there wont be much rain.

Have a look at any gear thats under $100 in a Chandlers, Ski shop, or outdoor store.

Wet weather pants are good too. But again, buy cheap as you won't use them much.

You don't mention where you are leaving from in Australia, nor what sort of boat.

If you are leaving from Darwin I wouldnt even worry about the pants. If you get wet you dry again anyway

The savings on the purchases could be well over AU$1,000: Musto HPX Jacket & Trousers $1,900!!! MPX $1,500; Gill $750.
Put that against $200 and you will have a lot of spending money at the excellent resturants in Kuta!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 05:43   #10

re: jacket

leaving from Noumea July
Old 14-05-2010, 07:37   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklady54 View Post
leaving from Noumea July
If you are going direct Noumea to Bali via the north of Australia you don't need any wet weather geer whatsoever.

If it rains at all it will be warm rain (a gunna faLL) and you will be dry in moments. Also if you wear any wet weather kit at all you will be saturated on the inside from your own sweat.

So, if anything at all take the lightest spray jacket you can find

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 19:16   #12

Boat: Atlantic 42 Catamaran
Gill: fashionable, comfortable, wet

I'm a little surprised to see such general acclaim for Gill. Allow me to dissent. As an owner of some Gill gear -- an Atlantic jacket, a Key West jacket and two sets of Key West pants -- I can say that my experience with it has been less than ideal. I like the fit, the general design (the Atlantic hood is particularly nice) and the breathability and feel. On the other hand, every single item leaks. Indeed, leak is too mild a word. The key west pants that I bought just before leaving NZ to sail to Hawaii were wonderfully waterproof for about three weeks. By the time we got to Hawaii I was getting a little damp on the bottom if I sat on something wet. By the time I got to San Francisco light spray would blow through the legs or bottom. The Atlantic jacket (which is in may ways is a marvel of clothing technology) kept me pretty dry from Hawaii to San Francisco but started leaking on the sail down the coast. Now, a light rain goes right through the arms. Maryann no longer uses her Key West set and has a set of cheap Beans gear that she likes. These suits have never seen the inside of a washer and have been carefully rinsed, hung dry and put away at the end of each passage. A very non-scientific survey around the docks suggests that my experience is not unique. Some people say that they have had good customer support but I have not met with any success getting help from Gill. So, my take is that Gill gear is beautiful to behold and nice to wear but as foul weather gear it's disposable. I admit the Key West line is priced for occasional light use, but the Atlantic is supposed to be top of the line and didn't stay waterproof any longer for me. IMO, Gill kit will probably get you to Bali in comfort but don't expect much more of it after that.

Tom

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: