Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2008, 19:32   #1

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
Thumbs up West Marine Suprise

Having seen the disparaging remarks and knowing how proud West Marine is of their products. I was suprised today.

I was looking for a bit of hardware for the stern rail. A 60 degree to be exact. Located one at Bosun for half the price at West Marine. Having seen their "will match price" on the internet thought I would give it a try.

I printed the Web page and took it to West Marine. No questions just ok here you go at the other fellows price. Sure will save some wait time for a lot of items to be shipped.
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 20:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
I thought they did not match internet prices. This is better news than the 20$ off coupon I got at the show. Is this a change of policy for them?
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 21:08   #3

here ya go (scroll down):

West Marine: Policies
Carley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 21:34   #4

This is a change in policy recently and is also printed in the back of their 2008 catalog so it applies to stores and not just on line. It doesn't exclude anyone...so this is an improvement from the new guy!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:17   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
The internet guys are in trouble if this catches on...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:18   #6
cruiser

Also, West Marine has a pretty incredibly "new boater" program.

You don't even have to be new to boats. I joined up as a "new boater" a couple months ago with a West Advantage Card that is yellowed and well over 10 years old
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 16:09   #7
Kai Nui

I just had a conversation Saturday with the local WM manager, They have a new CEO, and are moving back to stocking boat parts rather than boat clothes. There are a number of other changes in the works. Let's hope it is as positive as they are making it out to be.
Old 06-05-2008, 17:44   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
IF this is true, it will make a huge difference for me. I am starting to buy my electrical rewire parts -- a Blue Sea 16/6 breaker panel from WM was 800+ and I found a source for about 600. I would love to patronize the Long Beach store on the larger purchases only cause their people are really helpful. Dunno. This sounds too good to be true.
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 18:36   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Believe it, guys! I'm a (new) WM Associate, and both yesterday and today I honored an on-line price for two different items. WM wants your business. We try to be well stocked, but if we don't have an item in stock we can usually get it for you within a week ... with no special charges. We also try to be fair in our pricing, but if you find the same item on sale currently elsewhere, show us the ad and we'll match it for you!
(Hope I'm not overstepping the "No Commercials" rules here ... just trying to provide accurate information on a topic.)
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 18:41   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV View Post
IF this is true, it will make a huge difference for me. I am starting to buy my electrical rewire parts -- a Blue Sea 16/6 breaker panel from WM was 800+ and I found a source for about 600. I would love to patronize the Long Beach store on the larger purchases only cause their people are really helpful. Dunno. This sounds too good to be true.

Hold tight MV I installed a nice 12V 22 breaker panel from Blue Seas this year and ordered it over the phone from an outfit I thought was in California. I remember their prices were pretty good. The internet prices for Blue Sea were all over the place. WM wanted like 1,200 for it then special order, I know I got it for just under $400 from these guys. I got the reciepts and the name of the outfit I ordered from at the boat. If you want I'll look for it tommorow when I'm there.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 18:49   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrezz View Post
Believe it, guys! I'm a (new) WM Associate, and both yesterday and today I honored an on-line price for two different items. WM wants your business. We try to be well stocked, but if we don't have an item in stock we can usually get it for you within a week ... with no special charges. We also try to be fair in our pricing, but if you find the same item on sale currently elsewhere, show us the ad and we'll match it for you!
(Hope I'm not overstepping the "No Commercials" rules here ... just trying to provide accurate information on a topic.)

Hate to be that fly in the soup. But I just bought a brand new Mercury outboard for the dingy at Outdoor World in Ft. Lauderdale. I asked WM in Ft.Lauderdale, Hallendale and North Miami to match the price. To be fair the WM store associates were nice but they all had to check with the powers that be before they matched that much. All three sent me packin. I was hoping for those WM credits that do add up.
Old 06-05-2008, 18:58   #12

Boat: Endeavour E40
Been price matching for a couple of years at the "Flag-ship" store in Ft. Lauderdale...

NEVER a problem, no questions axe'd... just EXCELLANT SERVICE and the BEST PRICE !!! AND delivered within 3 days!
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 19:02   #13
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Tellie .... what can I tell ya? there must have been more to the issue than meets the eye. As far as I know .... and has been my experience so far (only 2 1/2 weeks) ... WM will match any legitimate price on an item-for-item basis.
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 19:07   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Cotton View Post
Been price matching for a couple of years at the "Flag-ship" store in Ft. Lauderdale...

1)NEVER a problem, no questions axe'd... just 2)EXCELLANT SERVICE and the 3)BEST PRICE !!! AND delivered within 3 days!

Hey, two outta three ain't bad!
Old 06-05-2008, 19:30   #15
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrezz View Post
Tellie .... what can I tell ya? there must have been more to the issue than meets the eye. As far as I know .... and has been my experience so far (only 2 1/2 weeks) ... WM will match any legitimate price on an item-for-item basis.

Ok in the sense of fairness, challenge and fun. Tommorow I just happen to be in the area. I'll stop into Outdoor World and get a price just to be current on a small Mercury outboard. I'll take that price to the mighty Flagship store off of Federal and 84. If they match the price you'll get my apologies for disparaging WM. But if they refuse, you get me the point value at WM that I spent at Outdoor World.