Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2013, 17:12   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
West Marine Getting Worse

Late last fall when I decommissioned my boat, which I leave in the water in the winter. I installed a new Rule 500 gph auto bilge pump to run over the side to eliminate a low spot in my regular bilge pump hose that freezes. I couldn't check it with water, as the water was shut off, and didn't want to bucket sea water. I was in Florida for the winter. My buddy checked the boat and found one battery bank dead. Upon returning, I found the pump wouldn't shut off once it turned on. Ran the battery bank down. When purchased, WM asked if I wanted an extended warranty for $13, would add 2 years on top of the Rule 2 or 3 year warranty, so I did it. Returned to the store today, with the pump that is 5 months old, and they looked and found my extended warranty that I paid for, and swapped the pump. They then asked if I wanted to buy the extended warranty. I said I already bought it. They said yes, but it goes with the item, and if it gets exchanged, you have to buy another warranty. I said it is also covered by Rule, and they said yes, but you have to mail it back to them, and they will send you another one. So I asked if they are serious, 5 months old, and went bad, and I have to pay another chrge for the warranty? Yes. I told them that is a scam and is bogus, what happened to customer service? They waved it this time and would give me another warranty. I call customer service and they concurred, the warranty is on the specific item, and doesn't carry over. On my way back to the boat, I stopped at a smaller private marine store, Rex Marine, to pick up a neat work light I saw earlier, and asked them how they would handle the situation, and they said it is just an over the counter exchange, they would take the defective one and give the customer a replacement, no problem. WM has lost a customer, and Rex has gained one. After their change in price matching, their lack of inventory and a general lousy attitude in the stores, enough is enough. Shop local, with privately owned companies, where you can actually talk to someone with authority.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 17:49   #2

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA
I don't understand why anyone buys at West Marine..! Over priced products and as stated above, poor customer service. I've been out for years and won't be back.
Old 27-04-2013, 17:52   #3

Re: West Marine getting worse

I feel your pain and understand your frustration, but I do like having West Marine around. Yes, you can find much better prices from places like Defender, Wholesale Marine, Hamilton Marine just to mention a few, and those companies' mail order/ online service is fantastic, but when you forget something, or just want to put your hands on a part, West Marine is great. They also are very good at price matching.(No I don't work for WM!!!). Having said that, I do see them as sort of big brother.....and I am wondering if we need to start a new company called East Marine!!!!! MTCs.

Rich
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 18:10   #4

Boat: Hunter 41, Aventura

Yes, WM has lost it but I do enjoy the convenience. I live in Mexico and was up in the States to pick up some bottom paint and they were out of stock. I could't believe it. I needed 4 gallons and they were able to scrounge up 3 gallons. As my visit was only for a week or so I could't wait too long for stuff to show up. I also had a laundry list of stuff to bring down for others and had to wait for that stuff to be ordered. WM is run by bean counters and not boaters.
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 18:38   #5

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Just a hint ! I know I have to drive by 4 local marine stores, to get to the local WM. almost all of these local stores have a good stock of the most needed stuff and will order just like WM and if WM has a lower price, they will meet or beat there prices!! except for wierd stuff WM has no place in my life ! When I can buy 15 ss proper hose clamps, from a local store, for the price of 10 at WM why would I ever go to WM?? And you are helping out a local owner and his employees, and keeping a little more money in local hands! and the guy's at the local stores send me folks that need a little help with there engines and trannys in there boats ! try getting help with anything from WM ! I just bought 100ft of new american anchor chain for a 1/3 less cost, then what WM wanted for the same chain !! Try your local stores first, you might be very surprised!! just my 2 cents
Old 27-04-2013, 18:52   #6

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

I have stopped purchasing anything from WM. The customer service is the pits and I am tired to do the research the find the lowest price to have them match it. It is a waste of time. I would rather pay a bit more and deal with real boaters than have anything to do with WM.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 19:24   #7
cruiser

I've had only excellent experiences with West Marine, and will highly recommend them to anyone. They usually have what I want, or they can get it within a couple of days. West Marine recalled and then gave a full refund on a Rocna anchor that I used for 18 months. Many, many other great experience with West Marine. Most of my purchases have been through their stores in Long Beach, California and their new Woburn store here in Massachusetts.

Also great experiences in Seal Beach, CA, San Pedro, CA and Newport Beach, CA. No attitudes, and always friendly and helpful; I was just in there two days ago.

The Op wrote: "They (WM) waved it this time and would give me another warranty."

It sounds to me like the OP got what he wanted... then he turns around and bashes WM on this forum over a relatively inexpensive item. Not cool.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 19:36   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

"Try your local stores first, you might be very surprised!! just my 2 cents

I think I love you guys!
Old 27-04-2013, 20:17   #9

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Not to keep kicking a sleeping dog, but there was a time, before they took over Boat US, and before they went public, that they were the boater's best friend. Prices were good, employees were knowledgable and helpful, inventory was good. They stocked way more than most local stores. But now for the serious boater, they just add to the aggravation you experience when you need something to get up and running, and they just act stupid. But then again, they could just go the way of Circuit City, or follow the track ofBest Buy, Sears and JC Penny. No one should be too big to fail. They just pissed me off today.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 20:36   #10

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

HopCar, Your company is a great example of what I tried to say ! You have offerd to sell to folks or at least get a chance to bid on stuff on this site for lots of folks!! Why folks even go to WM with places like yours around , is imposible for me to understand ! You can sure believe, that if Connie and I are in your area, we will be looking ya up for a cup a coffee and a couple of things we will need that week LOL ! See ya and keep up the good work !
Old 27-04-2013, 20:46   #11

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
HopCar, Your company is a great example of what I tried to say ! You have offerd to sell to folks or at least get a chance to bid on stuff on this site for lots of folks!! Why folks even go to WM with places like yours around , is imposible for me to understand ! You can sure believe, that if Connie and I are in your area, we will be looking ya up for a cup a coffee and a couple of things we will need that week LOL ! See ya and keep up the good work !
Bob, Ditto your words are spot on... Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 21:14   #12
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
Returned to the store today, with the pump that is 5 months old, and they looked and found my extended warranty that I paid for, and swapped the pump. They then asked if I wanted to buy the extended warranty. I said I already bought it. They said yes, but it goes with the item, and if it gets exchanged, you have to buy another warranty. I said it is also covered by Rule, and they said yes, but you have to mail it back to them, and they will send you another one. So I asked if they are serious, 5 months old, and went bad, and I have to pay another chrge for the warranty?
I have never heard something that ridiculous !!! The whole concept of buying local (besides the fact that you can touch the merchandise) is the fact that you can go back to the local guy with any issues you have. That is the major advantage of buying local IMHO.
If they don't wave this ridiculous request then I would assume it is your right to insist on getting the pump fixed which would likely be more expensive for WM as they would have to have a local guy fix it at their cost since sending it to the manufacturer would likely result in a new pump.
Man, I can feel my blood boiling and I am not even involved with this situation!
Unbelievable !!!!!
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 21:54   #13

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Last fall I used go2marine.com to buy an 8 foot piece of stainless rail. I wanted the good, thick walled stuff. They accidentally sent me thin wall. When I emailed about it, they immediately shipped me another piece at significant expense to them, and told me to keep the first order.

Couple weeks ago I ordered some stainless rail fittings and setscrews from freeport marine in New York. They sent me the wrong fittings. I emailed on a Saturday night. I got an answer in an hour. They FedEx'd the proper parts the next day, and sent me a prepaid return shipping label.

Great service like that builds loyalty and I'll pay a little more when I can be confident of service like that. You would never get service like that from West Marine lately. And local convenience is never a factor for me since there are no marine stores in South Dakota.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 23:38   #14
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Last fall I used go2marine.com to buy an 8 foot piece of stainless rail. I wanted the good, thick walled stuff. They accidentally sent me thin wall. When I emailed about it, they immediately shipped me another piece at significant expense to them, and told me to keep the first order.

Couple weeks ago I ordered some stainless rail fittings and setscrews from freeport marine in New York. They sent me the wrong fittings. I emailed on a Saturday night. I got an answer in an hour. They FedEx'd the proper parts the next day, and sent me a prepaid return shipping label.

Great service like that builds loyalty and I'll pay a little more when I can be confident of service like that. You would never get service like that from West Marine lately. And local convenience is never a factor for me since there are no marine stores in South Dakota.
It is a great idea to post a kudos comment when you receive service like that! When I pick a supplier to use via the internet, it's a gamble - I would much rather use suppliers that have proven that they know what customer service is (even when it's somewhat more expensive ....)
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 03:24   #15

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I shop at west marine's dumpster
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine