Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 15:12   #91
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: West Marine Getting Worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Rondo Normal View Post
Extended warranties are a rip off! I will never buy another! In my one experience with HP(Futureshop), it was actually worse than the manufacturer's warranty. I had to threaten to throw the f'n printer through their front window to get them to ship me a new machine!

Actually the extended warranty on my Chart Plotter paid for itself and then some.

99% of the time I don't buy them. I'm glad I did on the CP.

And, I haven't had bad experiences at West Marine.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 15:13   #92

The best bargain I found in zincs was at Redden. They've got super hydraulic services and their employees tend to be quite loyal because they're treated right. Your lucky to be near Redden.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 15:20   #93

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Well, I was at West Marine today and it couldn't have been a better experience. The guys on the sales floor were knowledgeable and helpful.

A lot probably depends on the area you are in as not all stores are equal and a lot depends on the management of that store.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 15:44   #94

Boat: Shopping...

In the fall of 2011 I anchored my boat near the shore in Narragansett Bay and row in to get stuff from the Newport WM. It was an 45 minute walk. Maybe 3-4 miles.
I bought an anchor and a Raymarine module for a total of close to 800.00.

We were close to lunch time and I thought that maybe somebody could give me a ride back to my dinghy so I asked the clerk, who called the manager.

I told him that I was in no rush and could wait.
The guy looked a bit annoyed by this and after looking a bit around he told me he could not help me.

I really think a mom & pop shop would have give me this 5 minute ride.
Old 03-08-2013, 16:00   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

You would get the same treatment in our shop. To expect them to drive you somewhere after purchasing something is way too much in my eyes. The cost does not matter, all customers are the same, no matter how much you spend, to think that you should get better service because you spent more is not on.Not just picking on you here, we get the folks with the "big" boats in and they think that the "little customer" should wait until they have big noted themselves enough. These guys tend to get less advice and service because of their attitude, it just annoys the sales staff.

Coops.
Old 03-08-2013, 16:07   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
You would get the same treatment in our shop. To expect them to drive you somewhere after purchasing something is way too much in my eyes. The cost does not matter, all customers are the same, no matter how much you spend, to think that you should get better service because you spent more is not on.Not just picking on you here, we get the folks with the "big" boats in and they think that the "little customer" should wait until they have big noted themselves enough. These guys tend to get less advice and service because of their attitude, it just annoys the sales staff.

Coops.
And praytell, what's the name of you're shop so folks know the aren't entitled to any extra consideration - regardless f how much they spend?
Old 03-08-2013, 16:12   #97

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARC D View Post
In the fall of 2011 I anchored my boat near the shore in Narragansett Bay and row in to get stuff from the Newport WM. It was an 45 minute walk. Maybe 3-4 miles.

We were close to lunch time and I thought that maybe somebody could give me a ride back to my dinghy so I asked the clerk, who called the manager.

The guy looked a bit annoyed by this and after looking a bit around he told me he could not help me.

I know the store well and (some of) the people who work there. Would it surprise you to know they get that same request at least 2-3 times EVERY DAY? As though nobody figured out they might have to walk back the way they came...
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 16:16   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
I know the store well and (some of) the people who work there. Would it surprise you to know they get that same request at least 2-3 times EVERY DAY? As though nobody figured out they might have to walk back the way they came...
Looks like there's justification to provide a shuttle service. Good for business and would give people who would otherwise pass taking the trek an opportunity to spend money the store will otherwise never see.
Old 03-08-2013, 16:33   #99

Boat: Shopping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
2-3 times a day? I AM surprised. And I knew from the start I could not walk back to my dinghy with a 44 lbs anchor!! A taxi ride was in my near future.

I just asked for a little service as I was seeing WM staff jumping in their cars for lunch.
Old 03-08-2013, 16:37   #100
cruiser

Quote:

If I were manager of that store I would happily call you a taxi, but to expect a store to pay its employees by the hour to give people rides -- and to expect these underpaid employees to use their cars for this purpose -- sorry, but I just don't think this is a reasonable complaint.
Old 03-08-2013, 16:39   #101
cruiser

Quote:
2-3 times a day? I AM surprised. And I knew from the start I could not walk back to my dinghy with a 44 lbs anchor!! A taxi ride was in my near future.

I just asked for a little service as I was seeing WM staff jumping in their cars for lunch.

Oh. So now employees are supposed to shorten their unpaid lunch time to transport you, using their personal cars to do it? They should just shelve any plans they had for their personal lunch time and meet your need.
Old 03-08-2013, 16:40   #102
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Looks like there's justification to provide a shuttle service. Good for business and would give people who would otherwise pass taking the trek an opportunity to spend money the store will otherwise never see.

Would you be willing to pay more for the merchandise to cover the cost?
Old 03-08-2013, 16:44   #103

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

I have a suggestion for those that hate West Marine.

Don't shop there!!!
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 16:48   #104

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

I am amazed that as many grocery stores in Southern cruising towns offer rides to/from their store....with usually a smile.

The markup on food is usually pretty tiny and they really don't depend on cruisers to make a profit.

Somehow I think West Marine would do well to cater to cruisers...while we may not buy that much from them..we often are the go to guys for new boaters and having us recommend WM would be in their best interest. Better than having yet another dissatisfied customer and spinoffs from it.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 16:49   #105

Re: West Marine getting worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
You must have a time machine, that sounds like the OLD West Marine.

two young cuties ...and wanted to be sure of getting one.
Sure, isn't editing a positive?

Good old days, for sure.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine