Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2019, 00:02   #1
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42
Well, that sucks... which is good.

I visited a big vacuum cleaner store recently, desperately trying to solve my vacuum cleaner needs on the boat.

I've test driven every rechargeable vacuum cleaner I can find, including the big names like Dyson, and quite frankly... they don't suck. Which is bad. Yeah, I know, some people say they are great, but I've never been impressed and I sure as hell was not impressed by the price, the top of the line Dyson stick vac will set you back the better part of a whole Australian boat buck, and at that price I expect a lot, LOT more suck.

So I was hoping against hope that I would find something that my inverter (1500 watts) and battery bank (6 x 105 AH 12 Volt Amptechs) could handle.

I was surprised to discover that Nilfisk do a little 700 Watt vac, called, oddly, One Prime, which gave me Transformer movie flashbacks, and a bit of a giggle.

The store was one of those places where you can actually plug the vac in and test drive it on various surfaces (all of which, I am convinced, are coated with Teflon, including the carpet). But the little bugger sucked pretty darn well, and, for AU$149 it was remarkably well built. Now I confess, I've got a bit of fondness for Nilfisk, having worked as a commercial cleaner to pay my way through uni, I learned to love their commercial stuff, particularly their backpack models. Sure, this little machine is not in that caliber, but at the same time, it feels very well made, particularly for the price. It's a bag vac, which is a bit of a negative for some, but on balance I decided to buy it and see how it went.

It went like a little rocket! No dust is safe. Yeah, my 2400 watt GE has more suck, but I need to be plugged in at the marina to use that thing, whereas the little Nilfisk can be used at anchor. It out sucks my 2400 watt Kmart cheap-and-nasty bagless and it is a LOT better made. (The Kmart one cannot be lifted by the handle as it falls into multiple components if you do.)

So, if you are looking for a nice little boat vac that won't kill a middling sized battery bank and inverter, I suggest you check this one out. Or, you might wait just a little longer, because as the man at the store pointed out, the European vacs will all have to come down to under 900 watts (i think that was the number) soon, as part of a regulatory framework, and there will be many more choices. He reckons the 900 watt Miele, already in production, will pull the tiles off the floor. (I didn't ask the price, because, if you have to ask, you can't afford it.)

Happy house cleaning.

Matt

Old 03-02-2019, 06:18   #2

Re: Well, that sucks... which is good.

looks like their consumer lines not sold in the US

past thread Favorite boat vacuum cleaner

john61ct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:57   #3

We use the Milwaukee wet/dry vac. It uses the same batteries as my power tools, is small, and works incredibly well.
apirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:16   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I also use the Milwaukee. The only don't like about it is the stretch hose. Great suction for a portable
Old 03-02-2019, 09:24   #5

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

john61ct, Looks like they are available in Canada. Nilfisk-Advance Canada Consumer Products check it out, come for a visit in spring/summer. Think 35 - 35 cents/dollar in your favor.
Cheers
Old 03-02-2019, 09:46   #6

Boat: Norseman 400

We've had the Dewalt 12v 1/2 gallon cordless on board for 4 years now.

The battery fits our other Dewalt tools (drills, etc) and are rechargeable with either the 12 volt or 110v charger. (We have three batteries on board, so when it runs out of juice, we simply swap it out and keep vacumming.

The hepa wet/dry filter is washable. Haven't needed to replace it yet. Absolutely no dust escapes this thing once it has sucked it up.

We use it daily for cleaning and maintenance projects. One of the best things we bought for cruising.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dewalt Vac.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	185118  
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:05   #7

Wacuum cleaner makers in EU marketed apparats at allthe time increasing W outputs. Then EU limited max oitputs and makers developed 800 W vacuum cleaners with same sucking power than 2000 W cleaners before. That is why you can find now much more boat people friendly vacuum cleaners in Europe (than in Americas?)
Lippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:49   #8

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Best boat vac we have ever had. . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190203_134531.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	185128

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
looks like their consumer lines not sold in the US

past thread Favorite boat vacuum cleaner

Where does it say that in the thread?
Old 03-02-2019, 11:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lippe View Post
Wacuum cleaner makers in EU marketed apparats at allthe time increasing W outputs. Then EU limited max oitputs and makers developed 800 W vacuum cleaners with same sucking power than 2000 W cleaners before. That is why you can find now much more boat people friendly vacuum cleaners in Europe (than in Americas?)

It is both interesting and surprising that those EU vacs are being sold in Australia and not the US, given that we are a much smaller market than the US. It is normally the other way around.

Iím very happy, whatever the reason. Looking at the thread John linked you can see a few references to the strain on inverters and battery banks from corded vacs.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
It is both interesting and surprising that those EU vacs are being sold in Australia and not the US, given that we are a much smaller market than the US. It is normally the other way around.

Iím very happy, whatever the reason. Looking at the thread John linked you can see a few references to the strain on inverters and battery banks from corded vacs.
Not surprising given the voltage and frequency differential in the USA versus Europe and Australia/New Zealand. Incompatibility of electrical power defines which markets the products can be marketed to.

But agreed as to the USA / Canada market being much larger than Australia hence often AC powered products are redesigned to allow for the different power sourcing. Then there is the matter of having the appropriate plugs or adapters for the country.

As for battery powered appliances just the chargers need to have cross compatibility of the AC power sources so that is a simple matter when designing the charger circuitry to convert higher voltage AC to lower voltage DC.
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:35   #12

The thread was just "further reading", nothing to do with that brand.
john61ct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:42   #13

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

It is a bit weird how we grew up with the idea thinking that more wattage meant a better product. The power of advertising.

I guess in Europe, Canada and Australia we are finally starting to see through this illusion.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:26   #14

Boat: Flicka 20

I have 2 small vacuums. For the motorhome we have a Dirtdevil 110v that gets used when plugged in to shore or with the generator. We have had it over 10 years and it really sucks. It has a beater brush and a small nozzle. For the sailboat I have a Dewalt 20v battery vac. It really sucks too, probably better than the Dirtdevil. I have 2 batteries so they work for the vacuum, drill, sander and 4Ē angle grinder. I have both a 12v charger that plugs into a cigarette lighter and a 120v charger.

If I had to choose one it would be the Dewalt. Their stuff is tough and reliable.

CaptainJohn49
CaptainJohn49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:35   #15

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

I've used a small shop vac for 4 years now. Powerful, versatile and does more than your regular vac cleaner. Sucks up water?

landsend is offline   Reply With Quote