Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2018, 18:09   #1

Boat: Solana 38
Waterproof mobile phone

For your info
I fell overboard recently with my phone in my shorts.
Probably spent 15 minutes in the sea.
Once rescued I washed out my phone under the ship's tap with fresh water and left it to dry. I did not remove the stylus but when it happens again I will do this.
It never stopped working.
Two months later it still works perfectly.
The phone is a Samsung Note8.
cristee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 18:59   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Waterproof mobile phone

Phones and hard cases have gotten so much better lately! One thing to look for is the IP rating. IP68 should withstand 30 min of immersion in about 10 feet of water and IP67 is 30 min in 3 feet of water. I wouldn't try testing that, but for those 2 times I've lost phones from dropping them in the toilet, the one time at the dock, the one time throwing it in a trash can full of nasty liquid and that other time dropping it outside the car just before a big rainstorm, would have meant totally different outcomes
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:07   #3

Boat: PSC Orion 27

If only they could float. sigh.......
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:32   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Even an IP rating is only good when the phone is new. O-rings and gaskets are expected to age, deform, and fail. So a waterproof case, or at least a fresh ziploc bag, is still a good idea.

Cell phones also *used*to* almost all ship with wrist lanyards included. A cynic might think the makers would prefer to see phones drop and break so they can sell more replacements...but you can still get inexpensive wrist lanyards, sold online for flash drives, a dozen for $5 or so in all sorts of colors. One or two little holes in the cell phone's case, and you can make it drop-proof again, too.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 13:34   #5

Boat: Vector Marine 39' Cutter

Another data point:. I had my boat in the tidal grid for bottom cleaning, zincs, stuffing box &c., and since the harbor hadn't turned the water on at the grid yet I was using my packraft to ferry myself and a hose across the harbor to the working water at the floats. Got everything set up and stepped back down into my raft using a not very satisfactory technique and fell straight in. I wasn't in more than two minutes before pulling myself out but my phone stayed in my pocket for quite some time while i attended to the much more important to my fact that I was damn cold. After half an hour or so I dried it of with a paper towel and it was working. Using it to type now in fact. It's an iPhone 7 and coming up on two years old. I've had phones die from being used in the rain so survival after compete immersion in salt water impressed me.
JohnHutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 14:41   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I phone 7, the ones without an earphone jack, are water proof to six feet or so. Samsung, Sony and many other of the current phones are also water proof to that depth. From experience earlier iPhones will not work after being submerged. Heard that Apple put a detector strip or something in their phones that would tell a tech. if the phone had gotten wet and voided the warranty.

My daughter in law's non water proof iPhone survived a dunking in the toilet by our youngest grandson. Freshwater without additives is probably way more survivable than salt water.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 21:42   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
If only they could float. sigh.......
Ha, ha!

If Neptune likes offerings of fresh mobile phones, then I must be his favorite sailor!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:34   #8

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Ha, ha!

If Neptune likes offerings of fresh mobile phones, then I must be his favorite sailor!
Only if Neptune has already tired of the one week old iPhone 8 I donated to him last October as I was climbing out of my dinghy to come aboard my sailboat. I'm pretty careful with my phone when in the dinghy and around the water so had it securely zipped into the bicep pocket of my North Face jacket, but unnoticed by me, that zipper was not sewed to the jacket and instead was just glued or taped to it and the adhesive on one side had completely detached itself so when I reached out towards the boat as I was climbing aboard, the phone "leaped" out of the pocket and into the water. I at first assumed that I must have forgotten to zip up the pocket but sure enough, it was zipped but one side of the zipper was completely detached from the jacket. North Face gave me a voucher for more than I had paid for the jacket which was nice, but Neptune has yet to return my iPhone.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 18:45   #9

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Yes, the 7 and later are waterproof. The 6 isn’t... ask me how I know
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mob, phone, water