Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-08-2015, 12:11   #16

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36
Re: waeco portable freezer

I have a CF40 and i had the same problem a couple of years ago. I cut out the sides of the fridge and removed the insulation, then replaced it with closed-cell extruded polystyrene sheets, bedded in with a 2-part adhesive foam. Then i stuck the sides back on. It's been fine ever since. For good measure i am planning on building a plywood box shortly with 2" insulation inside it for the fridge to sit in (with holes cut out for ventilation at the compressor end) as well as a lid of the same construction. I think it will make a big difference to the power consumption. There's no reason to fork out for a new fridge - just replace the insulation. You should be able to make it better than when it was brand new; the stuff they come with as stock is really poor quality.

Old 13-08-2015, 15:33   #17

Does your unit have that little EMERGENCY switch near the plug-in port?

I had a cf-35 that ran all the time and I had moved that switch to the on position by mistake...should be off.

Happy Sailing!

Old 14-08-2015, 00:24   #18

Boat: Bavaria 33 Cruiser - 2007 - 10.65m

Mr. Big; my unit doesn't have an emergency switch.

DefinitlyMe; what you have done is amazing. I'm sure it's made a big difference. Especially in hot climates insulation is everything. However I'm not sure I will be able to do such a work, I don't have the confidence in myself.
By the way, I've bought the extra insulation cover with the unit but after a year I took it off because it was always wet inside it and mould have started to grow on the sides of the fridge and I thought that much water around the electronics might cause bigger problems. So I removed the thing so that I could control and wipe out the condensation. Once, for a while, I put some layers of paper towels on the sides (exactly on the line where the dark grey part meets the pale grey part), this way there was no water draining form the sides to the floor because -oddly enough- those papers that got wet froze and there was no more water spillage. Plus, running times of the compressor reduced. I'm really not what does that mean scientifically???
Old 14-08-2015, 01:01   #19

Charlie; I'm thinking about that too. My unit doesn't have a usb charger on it but I have other 12V and 220V plugs nearby, maybe I can use them for an additional fan. But what about the timing, do you turn it on when needed or is it somehow connected with the existing fan so it starts whenever the original one starts? You mentioned that after 38'C you turned it on; you keep it on manually for how long? Until things get settled or...?

Cheechako; maybe it's the best solution!

MarkJ; my unit's tiny fans failed 3 times since I've bought the unit. And yes it is very small. Especially in Aegean summer where the boat's interior is never below 30'C during the day and 25'C during the night (when Meltemi stops blowing), that little thing really struggles to cool the compressor. I'm not sure if I can cut the side but I will try to squeeze a bigger fan to the existing space hoping that a bigger fan won't have a thicker frame. Is it okay that a bigger fan draws more amps form the unit? Does the system accept that modification?
As you suggested, I will put it to -9 to see if it will work more comfortably and check the thermostat. Thank you for that. You put the foam inside the freezer, yes? Or did I misunderstand...?
Old 14-08-2015, 01:13   #20

a64pilot; I hope it's the door seal. It looks like that seal is the weakest link of the insulation chain of the unit. I'll check it. I've actually done the so called "one dollar test" and the seal failed it. But I didn't have a Dollar at that time so I did it with 5 Euros! So I'm not sure if the test was accurate or not

Few years ago I've added some "weather strip" around the lid of the built in fridge and it's made huge difference. Now I will definitely do the same to this unit. I hope that the stirps will fit.
Old 14-08-2015, 05:41   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41

Gelin
I am not able to run my refer for very long without the engine so I manualy turn on the fan whenever the refer is running.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 07:12   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Waeco portable freezer

Gelin,

Have you checked the temperature with a seperate freezer thermometer?

Mine runs significantly colder than the thermostat readout says.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: