Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2014, 19:30   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
VitriFrigo C130L

After 14 years it was finally time to replace the aging small fridge in the galley. The good old Danfoss BD35 compressor was still going, but the box itself was shot...the door falling off last crusing season was the deciding event.

The old fridge was about 4 cu ft and I wanted a drop in, or nearly so, solution. After some research I decided a VitriFrigo C130L was the best option.

Vitrifrigo America

This fridge has an externally mounted compressor. This eliminates the compressor hump inside the fridge space bringing the total cu ft up to 4.7 in about the same external dimensions as the old fridge (a bit smaller actually). And its thermally a better option since heat from the compressor is not flowing up from underneath the fridge box as with my old fridge (true or many others too). Conveniently there was space just above the fridge to mount the compressor so heat would flow up and away from the fridge.

The compressor is a Danfoss BD35 which was good for my installation because it would keep energy use about the same as the old fridge. In fact energy usage appears to be lower. Probably due in large part to the new fridge box and improvements in the BD35 over 14 years.

Easy installation. Flanges provided for flush mount (although I had to modify the lower flange to clear the door hinges). Easy to reverse door.

The freezer compartment is small, but stays cold enough to make ice cubes even here in the tropics!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote