Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2016, 17:51   #1

Thumbs down Vetus SISCO

After snapping the throttle lever off my 76 Oday 27 I installed the Vetus Sisco unit based on price. About $300.00. After 2 years and maybe 200 shifts the throttle lever on the rear is flopping around and the pot metal that retains the dual shaft is shot. I will see if parts are available but at this point it looks like a throw away unit. Anyone with a parts source for these things? I contacted Vetus USA and am awaiting a reply but from what I have read elsewhere I am not optimistic. Shoulda bought the Teleflex Morse MJB unit for $600.00 as this looks like a more substantial unit.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 19:19   #2

Re: Vetus SISCO

Is the one that broke the single lever/dual action SISCO contol (one lever for throttle and gear)?

Let us know what Vetus does, I'm looking for a single lever to control both throttle and gear and had the SISCO single lever on the list, but maybe i should keep looking.

Thanks
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 19:56   #3

Boat: Liberty 458

Have just fitted a vetus sisco to a custom helm on our liberty 458. I designed and built all components.

The morse interface is plastic and looks to have a finite life. The rest of the lever is ok. I've already drawn up replacement pieces to be fabricated. I'll tig that up next year.

Thanks for posting your feedback. I could find no other non plastic single lever options.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 02:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzoja View Post
Is the one that broke the single lever/dual action SISCO contol (one lever for throttle and gear)?

Let us know what Vetus does, I'm looking for a single lever to control both throttle and gear and had the SISCO single lever on the list, but maybe i should keep looking.

Thanks
That is the exact one scherzoja. I think this will involve replacing the entire shift mechanism minus the handle and cover plate. If that is unavailable I will go replace the shift by purchasing the SICO unit and using the shift mechanism off of it while keeping the Stainless cover plate. $211.00 for that unit. I don't believe it will be repairable as the levers are 'staked' to the shaft. The unit is die cast and plastic including die cast gears which compose the 'guts' and are really not designed for longevity. I will keep everyone informed.
Old 20-09-2016, 02:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Have just fitted a vetus sisco to a custom helm on our liberty 458. I designed and built all components.

The morse interface is plastic and looks to have a finite life. The rest of the lever is ok. I've already drawn up replacement pieces to be fabricated. I'll tig that up next year.

Thanks for posting your feedback. I could find no other non plastic single lever options.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I know what you mean, the unit is attractive with all stainless front. That is about the extend of it's robust design. In fairness to Vetus I am using it on an Atomic 4 engine which is a hard shifting transmission. I did construct a jackshaft to lessen the force required to shift. I will take some pictures of the inside this evening to give everyone a better look inside the unit.
Old 20-09-2016, 07:49   #6

I called Vetus direct. The answer is no repair parts available other than handle, front plate and shift disengage button. In short, throw it away and buy new. The SICO remote mechanism is incompatible with the SISCO unit so no lower cost alternative that way. Oh well the cheapest is usually the most expensive long term.