Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2015, 09:25   #1

Boat: Morgan OI 37
VC-Tar

Hi all,
I am contemplating a purchase of a 1976 Morgan 37 OI. After an in water inspection the hull & topsides appear to be in good shape the bottom was "recently" stripped and redone with VC-Tar and VC-17.
The vessel is a fresh water boat and will be sailed in Georgian Bay/Lake Huron.
I have heard the VC-Tar is not water proof and can be a prospect for another bottom job in a few years.

So what is the experience of the fleet? I am prepared to walk from this vessel unless I get a warm & fuzzy feeling regarding this product.

Appreciate any feedback that you folks may have.

Thanks Bob
BobLoucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 09:38   #2

Re: VC-Tar

I'm not sure what you mean by "not waterproof"...? I had one salt water boat with VC Tar and VC17 on it. No issues, but I didnt have it forever either.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 09:46   #3

Thanks for the comeback,

Apparently according to my source, if there was an osmosis problem prior to the work, this product will not provide sufficient barrier protection to prevent it from re-occurring.
I am pretty much a novice with respect to bottom jobs on old boats. I can't afford to buy it spend bucks on the cabin and then get whacked by another major unplanned expense so I am being ultra cautious here.

Bob
Old 14-09-2015, 09:58   #4

Most bottom paints will not protect from osmosis.. which is why many boats have it! I thought the Tar was supposed to help prevent osmosis? But most use epoxy to barrier coat to really provide osmosis prevention help. I've not seen any actual results for VC Tar to compare with epoxy though. It may be just as good, although not that commonly used.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 10:14   #5
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Most bottom paints will not protect from osmosis.
No anti fouling paints are waterproof. They allow water to penetrate the paint's matrix, thereby allowing the biocide to leach out. That's how they work.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 10:19   #6

That is close to what my guy was saying. Guess I better find out what is under the tar before I dive in.

Thanks Bob
Old 14-09-2015, 10:47   #7

Boat: Outremer 50S

VC Tar is a two-part epoxy primer specifically formulated as an osmotic barrier coat for application below the waterline. Really don't understand how someone could say it is not waterproof when that is its intended application. VC Tar's whole reason for existence is to act as a sealer/barrier coat below the waterline.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 16:48   #8

Thanks to all for the feedback.
I learned that the job was done in 2003. It was stripped down to the gel and 5-6 coatswere applied as an epoxy barrier coat.
I am thinking that I will pull the trigger on this one, maybe get some moisture readings first?
Old 17-09-2015, 11:18   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

In my case I used Interlux 2000 barrier coat for 5 coats before bottom paint. Assuming the products are similar, you should be fine. I also recall that osmotic blistering is more of a problem in warm sub-tropical waters such as in Florida. I've been in Georgian Bay when younger, no way anymore without a 5 mil wetsuit.

While I no longer own the boat that I barrier coated, I'm friends with the current owner. Fifteen years and no more blisters.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:55   #10

Thanks all!
Based upon the feedback and other sources, I went ahead with an offer and survey. THe survey came back clean for the hull & rigging. So it looks like I will be moving forward with the purchase.
Appreciate your insights.
Bob
Old 04-10-2015, 09:13   #11
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Coal tar epoxy is OK for a barrier coat. It's big drawback is not apparent until you have to repair damage to the bottom or strip off the bottom paint. It's extremely difficult to remove, grind on, or work with in any way. It's also very toxic when ground. I have seen large sums spent dealing with this product once there is a problem.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 18:32   #12

Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 34

Did the PO provide a reason for applying the product? Had blisters appeared? Delamination? High moisture readings? Was it professionally applied? How much time was allowed to dry out the boat? Was the boat usually on the hard in the off season, or did it live in the water year round? A lot of years went by, apparently without a barrier coat, so I'm curious as to what prompted this relatively recent action.

Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
svtrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 18:58   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Bottom job 12 years ago/ no blisters now= problem solved
Old 05-10-2015, 03:30   #14

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Coal tar epoxy is OK for a barrier coat. It's big drawback is not apparent until you have to repair damage to the bottom or strip off the bottom paint. It's extremely difficult to remove, grind on, or work with in any way. It's also very toxic when ground. I have seen large sums spent dealing with this product once there is a problem.
I have tried to strip an iron keel coated with coal tar epoxy and it was a nightmare. You can't sand it with sandpaper (it gums up immediately). Even a wire brush just moves it around and I spent days under that keel. (Never quite finished the job and declared it "good enough ", and over coated.) You'd do a lot of damage trying to remove it from fiberglass with a wire brush or sandblasting, but I don't even know if sandblasting would work.

I would STRONGLY advise anyone not to buy a boat that had that over the entire bottom! Run, don't walk.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:37   #15
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I have tried to strip an iron keel coated with coal tar epoxy and it was a nightmare. You can't sand it with sandpaper (it gums up immediately). Even a wire brush just moves it around and I spent days under that keel. (Never quite finished the job and declared it "good enough ", and over coated.) You'd do a lot of damage trying to remove it from fiberglass with a wire brush or sandblasting, but I don't even know if sandblasting would work.

I would STRONGLY advise anyone not to buy a boat that had that over the entire bottom! Run, don't walk.

There's someone who's been down that path! One of the worst jobs I've ever had to do in a lifetime of hard labor...

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote