Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 20:03   #1
tsl

Boat: O'Day 39
Unique product designed to hold the new tablets and E-readers

Tablets and E-readers will be joining the smart phones and ipods aboard your boat this summer. Last year, you may have been one of the Captain Blighs that attempted to corral smart phones before they skipped and bounced across your deck with one of your guests in no better control right behind it.

I found a product that that saved me from my mutinying crew. It's called a Tree Frog Pad. It's a blue rubber like pad that is supper sticky. Unbelievably so. Yet is leaves absolutely no residue. Nothing quite like it to compare it to. It's similar to the pads used in cars but this really sticks.

I see from there web site that they come in many sizes. The size I have and will review for you is 7" X 9" exactly the size of an Ipad. The translucent blue pad is a bit less than a 1/4" thick.

The Instructions state that the pad is designed to hold personal electronics on and smooth surface at any angle less that vertical. My Pedestal's nav pod is at about a 70 degree angle. The Tree Frog Pad holds either my phone or Ipad all day at that angle.

As grippy as this thing is your first concern is how much dirt will it collect. Yes, It collects dirt , not on my boat but left in the back seat of my car for a week. It collected plenty but it's WASHABLE!!!! Rinse it quickly under water and the surface releases everything. A few minutes to dry and it's back as sticky as ever. Hard to believe but absolutely true.

I was a bit concerned about how well this thing would get along with my boat's interior and exterior finishes. The pad instructions say that it leaves no residue and it lives up to it. Gloss varnished Teak, fiberglass, stainless, aluminum all fine. It appeared to actually picked up dust and film on my exterior gelcoat.

Uses:
  • Maintenance (Prevents small parts and fasteners from finding there way to your bilge)
  • Ipad E-readers Tablets. They don't go on my deck without a Tree Frog Pad.
  • Drink holders, Etc
  • They have a 4"X4" pad that will hold items in place in a micro wave. (I have not tested)
  • Best application is the helm.
They won't work for:
  • Boarding Mats. Very tempting as it would do a great job cleaning shoes but the pad becomes very slippery when wet.
  • Holding item on a vertical wall. The pad will slowly let loose. It may take quite a while but eventually it will release. Reclined just a few degrees and the pad will hold tight forever.
  • Don't put it on your car's dash this summer. It will loose shape from the extreme heat. Won't hurt the dash. I have used it on my center console with no trouble.
Technical aspects:
The company says the pad is acually a synthetic rubber. A thermoplastic polymer that will melt at 180 Deg. and reform when cooled, back to it's old sticky self.

As you can guess , I think this pad is a hoot. Kids love it and if that keeps them or there phone for going overboard I'm all for it.

The Pad comes in three sizes:
7"X 9" for e-Readers and tablets
4"X 4" for coasters and Microwave
2" X 4" for cell phones

Prices range from $12.95 to $5.95
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 16:47   #2

Boat: Catalina C-42
Re: Unique product designed to hold the new tablets and E-readers

I've been using a 7x9 Tree Frog pad on my nav table to prevent my laptop from jumping to its death. I second TSL's recommendation.
rodney_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 14:22   #3

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Here's a link: http://www.treefrogpad.com/

Looks great!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 11:51   #4
tsl

Boat: O'Day 39
Re: Unique product designed to hold the new tablets and E-readers

It's very difficult to describe. Super sticky yet leaves absolutely no residue. Even in a knock down a laptop won't budge.
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote