Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2010, 03:50   #1

Thumbs up Two-Zone Audio: Fusion MA-RA200

Just installed a Fusion MA-RA200 kit (watertight head unit, watertight docking bay, and pair of 6.5" marine speakers for the cockpit) and an extra pair of speakers in the cabin in our sailboat. Had been just about to give up finding an all-digital solution like this and go with a car deck when I learned about this new product. AM/FM/VHF/iPod/Sirius/USB. No CD. Video output. Two USB connectors. AUX connector. 50Wx4. Small footprint. Easy install, but I have lots of tools and some experience with marine wiring. Seems to draw about 0.8 amps, but not sure on that yet. Great sound from the kit speakers. Easy two-zone control. Intuitive iPod integration, charges the iPod in the dock or via USB. Haven't tried the Sirius connection. Upgradable to subwoofer and amplifier, but that would be overkill in our boat. Very happy with the gear and price point, but the wired remote control is extra. Maybe others out there have been searching around for a solution, and perhaps this will help out.
clearsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 04:10   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
A sound systems is definitely on my list of nice-to-haves. No Serius (or serious) radio in singapore. So far the best kit is the ipod and the ipod dock. Cockpit speakers and 2 zone control would be nice.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 02:14   #3

End of season followup

As our season winds down, I can report that we continue to be very happy with this Fusion system.

This photo shows how we were using the ipod prior to getting Fusion's wired remote. We plugged the base into the USB port in the docking bay. Now we just put the ipod into the docking bay when we get to the boat, where it charges and plays music or video. The ipod pops in and out of the docking bay very easily and securely, making for very mobile multimedia between boat, home and work.

We added the wired remote to the cockpit: not cheap, but extremely convenient for entertaining in the cockpit under way or at the dock, and for us worth the price of a couple of average restaurant meals for a couple. After installing the remote in a hole in the bulkhead, the remote's cable simply plugs into the dedicated socket in the back of the compact head. The remote turns the unit on and off, allows switching between input modes, and intuitively controls the ipod through the text on the screen. Shows playlists and song but not performer. Switching zone control at the remote is not as intuitive as on the head in the cabin-- we just leave it set for the cockpit zone and if someone in the cabin wants to adjust the volume for the cabin speakers they can do it using the head.

We also added a simple generic ribbon AM/FM antenna that we bought from a local store: it just plugged into the dedicated antenna socket too. I have not tried the Sirius or VHF functions yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fusion RA200 July 2010b2.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	19505  
clearsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 05:14   #4

This is the second thread about the Fusion product. It may be applicable for wet area applications, but an a full featured automobile stereo work fine.

My Sony xPlod costs $130 and provides

wireless remote which controls all functions
a iPod cable which charges the iPod and controls all iPod functions from the head or the remote
18 preset FM and 6 am only a few of which I actually use
Auxillary input on from panel
Plays CDs
flip down face
variable display colors
audio programs
front and rear speaker outputs
fadar and balance
fits into standard bracket and can be changed out for a later model.

I simply don't see the point for ME to use a "marine" product when this one has oodles of features and is priced right.

In the photo it is obvious that this is a dry location and a car stereo works fine. The Ipod is attached to the "dash" with velocro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030059.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	19510  
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote