Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 08:31   #31

"Told me the Furlex units are expensive and for him to do the repairs, just under $1000..." Are you sure this is a fair assessment? Seems awful high, especially on a 30 ft boat....... Do you know what's wrong with it? Is it just one section of extrusion? A whole new 200s unit is about $1800. The Furler is already off the boat after shipping and you need to put it back on anyway right?
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:15   #32

Boat: Cascade
What is happening on this front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
In my career, I have seen a number of very poorly done de-riggings.

Most commonly I have seen mast wires cut instead of disconnected.

Bent masts and damaged furlers are also very common.

Most of the time the guys that take this stuff out just think they are taking something apart and haven't a clue as to the stresses and structure of what they are taking down.

Sounds to me like another marina horror story.

You should perhaps contact your insurance company and "let their fingers do the walking"

It would seem logical to me to go after the rigger?? Could have been bent while taking the mast down. Is'nt this the most likely?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:23   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
You're probably right...The amount is insignificant enough to probably let it go and get on with life. I just like posting this stuff in order to give others a heads up when moving their boats or dealing with insurance companies.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 10:24   #34

Well...I can finally conclude this thread...As I expected, I did not receive anything for the damage. The contract I signed stated that I was responsible for how everything was loaded when it was picked up in New York even though I was in Hawaii at the time. The statement by the trucker that he would load the mast and furling on special beds on the side of his trailer(see attached photo from their web site) was only here say and not in the contract. The yard that de-commissioned the rig told the EMI (Evans Motorsport Inc) not to put the rig on the coach roof. But again...this is here say.
I will add the only reason I received a denial letter was persistence on my part...a phone call every 2 weeks and when the Insurance broker (Judd Leonard) stopped returning calls, I finally had to go to the Insurance commission board of his state to light a fire under his ass.
Situations like this are of no benefit unless I can find a positive note from all this and pass that on to the boating community. So here is my suggestions...
1) Before anything is signed, get a copy of the trucking companies cargo and liability insurance.
2) READ THE CONTRACT! If you cannot be there for the loading (often times we can't), be sure you are not responsible for the loading of the boat and it's rig. If that means making your own contract to them...DO IT! It's your nickle, they need to be accountable for their actions.
3) Do not give the driver the balance of the funds until the boat is off loaded and you have inspected the boat inside and out and the rig.
To show you the difference in this company and another one I used in 2004. I had my Ingrid 38 moved from Washington State to California. A metal handle had rubbed against the sitka spuce main mast and produced a 1"x 3" gouge. The driver pointed it out to me and immediately called his boss and apologized. They offered to fix it. I had a rigger on the premises look at it and told me it was no big deal. So I excused it and fixed it myself. So there is a big difference how these guys operate.
To conclude, I have dismantled the furler and will go to a distributor for the parts. See you on the water...Celestialsailor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EMI storing rigging properly.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	11232  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 21-11-2009, 20:26   #35

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Another lesson learned on my part. Martin, I hope the next move is much better.
regards,
Old 21-11-2009, 21:25   #36

Well John, as you know through our e-mailing, I am going to be there for the next one...I sure won't be using EMI Marine Transport

Tags
furling