Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-04-2014, 23:09   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Transom Lettering

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
The lettering is all very well... But I am MUCH more interested in the anchorage. Where is that lovely tranquil spot please?

Matt

Edit: figured it out from the caption. Port Davey. Sigh
Yes, Matt, that was in Clayton's Corner, Bathurst Harbour, Port Davey, Tasmania (which is part of Oz for those who are geographically challenged!).

It was sure tranquil that morning, but can get a bit boisterous at times, and the holding there isn't very good... soupy silt for the most part. Lovely, though...

Jim

Old 29-04-2014, 23:11   #17

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
OK TN, you win.

It looks cheap and DIYish. I suppose that what clued you in was that the letters were of uniform size and had clean edges, unlike many hand lettered names.

But I think gold leaf on a varnished teak name board on my boat would look contrived and out of place, even if it was in itself aesthetically wonderful and met your old world standards. Oh, and my lettering is readable from quite a distance (which is an attribute IMO). I have yet to see a goldleaf and teak nameboard that meets that requirement. But they look expensive and professional...

Enough of this bickering. The OP was interested in different forms of lettering, and asked about prices among other things. He likely got his answer and left the premises, not wanting to get involved in such discussions.

And Minaret, I certainly have seen some beautifully done hand lettered boat names. I have seen quite a few that were pretty ordinary, and some that, well, looked cheap and DIYish (probably because they were!). Good art is always expensive and rare to find, whether on canvas or GRP.

Cheers,

Jim
Guess I'm one who thinks the name boards look strange, like they were inside somewhere, someone washed them, hung them outside to dry and forgot to retrieve. But that's my taste and I know many love them. I've seen well done and poorly done painting and same with Vinyl. I've seen beautiful, original lettering and then some that I still didn't know the name of the boat after looking at.

But I've seen some very nice Vinyl that I thought was hand lettered. This wasn't one day service at your local sign shop but quality vinyl designed for outdoor use and exposure.

Old 29-04-2014, 23:20   #18

Varnished boat = hand painted lettering
Plastic boat = plastic lettering
Keep like materials together

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-04-2014, 23:24   #19
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
OK TN, you win.

It looks cheap and DIYish. I suppose that what clued you in was that the letters were of uniform size and had clean edges, unlike many hand lettered names.

But I think gold leaf on a varnished teak name board on my boat would look contrived and out of place, even if it was in itself aesthetically wonderful and met your old world standards. Oh, and my lettering is readable from quite a distance (which is an attribute IMO). I have yet to see a goldleaf and teak nameboard that meets that requirement. But they look expensive and professional...

Enough of this bickering. The OP was interested in different forms of lettering, and asked about prices among other things. He likely got his answer and left the premises, not wanting to get involved in such discussions.

And Minaret, I certainly have seen some beautifully done hand lettered boat names. I have seen quite a few that were pretty ordinary, and some that, well, looked cheap and DIYish (probably because they were!). Good art is always expensive and rare to find, whether on canvas or GRP.

Cheers,

Jim

Oh, I agree with both of you. Vinyl is much more practical, especially for a boat in high use. But hand lettering sure is classy. Personally, I know a master of the art well (what's the female version of master?), but I went with vinyl anyhow. Much as I'd like to go the other route.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 23:27   #20
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellin View Post
Varnished boat = hand painted lettering
Plastic boat = plastic lettering
Keep like materials together

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

I dunno. Sure a teak name board or bright finished transom is the usual place for hand lettering and gold leaf, but I've seen beautiful hand lettering done on fiberglass hulls plenty. My professional acquaintance who does this also does big rigs, hot rods, motorcycles, etc etc. Ever seen a really really nice hand lettered big rig with fancy pin striping and the whole nine yards? You can turn the same person loose on your boat...

Old 30-04-2014, 00:06   #21

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

Jim--Just playin'. That's a lovely photo of your boat.

I think we have been ground down to expect and accept a rather lower and lower level of quality. And we rationalize our inner cheapness with vague budgetary mumblings, and look upon our purchases with an eye nearly blinded by all the cheap imported crap we've ever had to settle for.
Terra Nova is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 05:30   #22

Thanks for feedback but I should have seen the "painted-v-vinyl" debate coming.

I have considered both and after looking at numerous examples around our marina and talking to my sign painter (who actually prefers vinyl), I'm leaning that way. Also, as mentioned in first post after a few hours stripping the old lettering with caustic chemicals I think it would be nice to save the next guy from that chore. Don't we already have enough work as boat owners?

Anyway back to my original question...should I be paying the same rate for installed vinyl as I would for painted?
Old 30-04-2014, 06:54   #23

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Here was our first attempt at DIY hand painting the stern. A quart of catalized auto paint from a local paint store a few brushes and a thinner was about $80. I wanted gold color and most the vinyls I looked at didn't quiet have the look I was going for.

We went to an online font shop and picked a font that looked good for us the printed it out with a grid over top. Then we laid that out on the hull with some paint pens/ pecil/ grease markers. Then we mixed and painted inside the lines, let it cure. Then wiped away the lines with some mineral spirits/ alcohol ect.

Not bad for a first attempt. We gained the experience and expertise and are ready to paint the name on the (crossing fingers) next boat this summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stern on in the well.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	80284  
Old 30-04-2014, 06:56   #24

Of course now when asked who did it, we've been asked to do 3 other hull names from people at the yard.
Old 30-04-2014, 07:05   #25

Not that I'm a big advocate for painting, but with vinyl you still have the "ghosts letters" left in the gelcoat/ paint. Caused by the UV damage done to the rest of the gel coat that the vinyl is shading. Probably though the same would apply to painted names soo... nevermind!
Old 30-04-2014, 07:24   #26
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

The same applies to painted names as far as UV induced issues. Have seen enough boats in the harbor with names that had been painted then stripped after years and the resulting "ghost" looks to the be same. Not sure how to avoid that actually.

As for vinyl versus paint, seem quite a few DIY paint jobs that look good. Seen enough that look bad too. Seen the cheap individual letters bought from HD to know that I would not personally do it that way. A plot cutter that leaves the backing together, along with someone who is fluent in applying vinyl and it can look great!
Old 23-06-2014, 15:49   #27

Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Oh, I agree with both of you. Vinyl is much more practical, especially for a boat in high use. But hand lettering sure is classy. Personally, I know a master of the art well (what's the female version of master?), but I went with vinyl anyhow. Much as I'd like to go the other route.
Minaret, Pray tell - you is this Mistress of the Art of hand lettering, and where does she practice her art?

If anyone can recommend a letterer in South Florida (West Palm Beach northward), I'd appreciate the name.

Thanks.
Old 23-06-2014, 20:03   #28
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllesBelles View Post
Minaret, Pray tell - you is this Mistress of the Art of hand lettering, and where does she practice her art?

If anyone can recommend a letterer in South Florida (West Palm Beach northward), I'd appreciate the name.

Thanks.

Seattle is pretty far from Florida, I don't know that I can help you with that. Good luck!

Old 23-06-2014, 20:19   #29

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcpk View Post
Hi All,

Purchased a new boat and hoping for some insights in regards to name lettering. I spoke to my local sign guy and was quoted a price of a $3-400 to re-letter the boat by hand with paint (seems fair, I'm in greater NYC area). After spending the better part of an afternoon removing 20+yrs of old paint I thought I would explore vinyl. Question is...I was quoted basically the same price for vinyl as hand lettering, do this sound right? Any insights/experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!
I think we paid less than 50 for two sets of 2-color laser cut vinyl lettering. Expect to replace as the sun fades the colors. - about 5 years in the north. Kinkos or other such place. Stay away from 'marine ***** graphics' etc. type stores. Find a sign shop.
Old 23-06-2014, 20:31   #30

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
Here was our first attempt at DIY hand painting the stern. A quart of catalized auto paint from a local paint store a few brushes and a thinner was about $80. I wanted gold color and most the vinyls I looked at didn't quiet have the look I was going for.

We went to an online font shop and picked a font that looked good for us the printed it out with a grid over top. Then we laid that out on the hull with some paint pens/ pecil/ grease markers. Then we mixed and painted inside the lines, let it cure. Then wiped away the lines with some mineral spirits/ alcohol ect.

Not bad for a first attempt. We gained the experience and expertise and are ready to paint the name on the (crossing fingers) next boat this summer.
I recognize the launch well. The sun has just about had its way with our transom vinyl. Look us up this fall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6250005.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	83644   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4692.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	83645  

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: