Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2012, 09:58   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Toughest Laptop

"No, your statement is *not* true - there *are* *no* *viruses* for the Mac - *only* a few Trojans have appeared over the years"
ROFLMAO over symantics. Anyone who has used Macs for 20-30 years and been a poweruser not just one of the monkeys pressing the shiny buttons (the main Mac audience) knows better. CERT and other computer security agencies routinely issue alerts for all OSes including UNIX and the Mac is know simpy one more UNIX machine, vulnerable to UNIX malware as well as what attacks the Mac layers in addition. Whatever type of attack, whatever you technically want to call it, the big difference is that other vendors openly if somewhat reluctantly discuss secruity matters while Apple's official policy is "no comment, ignore the main behind the curtain, stay numb" and then they quietly push out OS upgrades, as they have many times in the past, which "also address security issues".

Then there's the fact that Mac has always been such a poor target, given perhaps a 5% market chare and that being almost entirely personal, so it simply isn't worth anyone's time to hack into Macs, leaving fewer attacks on them. That's been reported changing lately as well.

Yeah, Macs are golden, their used electrons don't stink, they're a superior way to computer...and that's why they still have such a tiny market share after all these years. Don't let logic and published statistics from the experts dissuade you from "pretty pretty, shiny shiny".

EVERY OS GETS ATTACKED. Those who can't grasp that, and prepare for it, as simply called "juicy victims".
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 10:07   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"No, your statement is *not* true - there *are* *no* *viruses* for the Mac - *only* a few Trojans have appeared over the years"
ROFLMAO over symantics. Anyone who has used Macs for 20-30 years and been a poweruser not just one of the monkeys pressing the shiny buttons (the main Mac audience) knows better. CERT and other computer security agencies routinely issue alerts for all OSes including UNIX and the Mac is know simpy one more UNIX machine, vulnerable to UNIX malware as well as what attacks the Mac layers in addition. Whatever type of attack, whatever you technically want to call it, the big difference is that other vendors openly if somewhat reluctantly discuss secruity matters while Apple's official policy is "no comment, ignore the main behind the curtain, stay numb" and then they quietly push out OS upgrades, as they have many times in the past, which "also address security issues".

Then there's the fact that Mac has always been such a poor target, given perhaps a 5% market chare and that being almost entirely personal, so it simply isn't worth anyone's time to hack into Macs, leaving fewer attacks on them. That's been reported changing lately as well.

Yeah, Macs are golden, their used electrons don't stink, they're a superior way to computer...and that's why they still have such a tiny market share after all these years. Don't let logic and published statistics from the experts dissuade you from "pretty pretty, shiny shiny".

EVERY OS GETS ATTACKED. Those who can't grasp that, and prepare for it, as simply called "juicy victims".

I've been waiting for one of these attacks.

Seems every time there is a thread about Mac and Apple, there's always someone who comes out like this - refusing to acknowledge what reality is and attacks anyone daring to not be a Windows Fanatic.

The truth is out there for anyone *wanting* to find it, to read it but it takes a little to accept that the golden goose one has believed in for many years is actually falling apart by hidden rust.

That's all I'm going to write about this.

Except I expected a little more civility from this forum.

Sad.

Christer
Christerart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 10:32   #33
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Christer, it is even sadder that you deign to call my post an ATTACK when it is very clear that all I said was EVERY OS gets attacked, and the Mac is no different from any other in that aspect. I didn't attack the Mac OS, I didn't endorse the Windows OSes. I said they all suffer from the same problem.

While you're looking for civility, try reading what has been posted and comprehending it, rather than misreading it to suit your own illusions.

I'll just wait for your apology, for calling my post an attack when it so obviously wasn't. Meanwhile, if you see an uncivil post of any kind, do try to read the forum instructions and report it to a moderator, rather than making uncivil comments in the thread and to the other members. That's against the forum rules, too.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 10:55   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Just a reminder to everyone, we do have a few rules in this forum. Here's one to remember:

We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.

[Typed on my Linux Laptop, which has its own peculiar aversion to participating in viral infections ]
Old 17-10-2012, 12:32   #35

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
To say macs don't get virus issues is not exactly true. To say they get so few, many mac users never get one is fair to say.
A fair statement would be operating systems get virus's not the CPU. Back in the day my then wife bought a Mac Performa. It was a real peice, but I know they have changed a lot. I've been PC ever since and stuck in my ways. I'm not interested in turning this into a Apple vs. PC talk. Personally only interested in PC hardware durability. So far I like the Toshiba and Dell.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 17:36   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

I used the Toughbook. Given the price ticket, I'd rather buy multiple cheaper machines and clone my software.

If a cheap laptop dies and you have another, you go on.

If you have only one, very tough laptop and it dies ...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 18:32   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
A fair statement would be operating systems get virus's not the CPU. Back in the day my then wife bought a Mac Performa. It was a real peice, but I know they have changed a lot. I've been PC ever since and stuck in my ways. I'm not interested in turning this into a Apple vs. PC talk. Personally only interested in PC hardware durability. So far I like the Toshiba and Dell.
you do know that the Macs can run windows, right? Again, the macbook air is in a league all by itself. It's true that it's more expensive than most PC's but not as bad as a toughbook for example.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 18:58   #38

Boat: A Dream (+OPB)

Netbooks and tablets are a great lower power option. (just choose, keyboard or touchscreen) If a true laptop is what you're after, power for price I like Acer. Not the fancy, pretty ones but there more basic line. Less look, more power. Toshiba has some decent units in there mid-line but have some durability issues in the bargain units. Any way you go the hard drive is the weakest link. (most tablets are solid state) Get a solid state drive, keep them dry, and run for years. (full disclosure I repair laptops mainly Toshibas for a living)
JamesBSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 19:41   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBSailing View Post
Netbooks and tablets are a great lower power option. (just choose, keyboard or touchscreen) If a true laptop is what you're after, power for price I like Acer. Not the fancy, pretty ones but there more basic line. Less look, more power. Toshiba has some decent units in there mid-line but have some durability issues in the bargain units. Any way you go the hard drive is the weakest link. (most tablets are solid state) Get a solid state drive, keep them dry, and run for years. (full disclosure I repair laptops mainly Toshibas for a living)
Thank you for chiming in. I'm really going to look at the features of Netbooks/tablets. Is there a difference between Netbooks and Tablets? I like the idea of a solidstae drive. Do they do wireless?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 17-10-2012, 21:52   #40

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor
Thank you for chiming in. I'm really going to look at the features of Netbooks/tablets. Is there a difference between Netbooks and Tablets? I like the idea of a solidstae drive. Do they do wireless?
Yes they do wireless.

You can get tablets in several configurations. Seperate keyboard if you wish. If your marina has WiFi, you have all the internet on your tablet. Tablets can also be purchased to get on the internet over 3g and 4g cell towers. Upcoming tablets will have in built in cellphones. Apps like skype let you video chat right now.

Like a tablet in your pocket? 5" screen, cellphone, maps, charts, weather, pizza delivery, Google LG Intuitive.

Saw a used iPhone 2 32gb on craigslist yesterday for $195. Still had the warranty.
Old 18-10-2012, 14:48   #41

I just bought a T-mobile Jet 2.0 stick for the laptop I have now. So it's good to hear that tablets have the same capability. Last night I was thinking about how quickly technology changes now. I thought it might be a matter of time until the tablet and laptop features are the same...solid state drives etc.
Old 18-10-2012, 15:50   #42

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I have 2 MacBook Air 13inch, they are SSD and low draw, I have a shallow drawer at the nav station that was for sextant and nav instruments, it fits the two perfectly with a thin sheet of closed cell foam under the bottom one and between the two, in the same drawer is a 4-5 oz can of desiccant which once every 6 months or so spends 3 hours on low in the oven recharging. I have never had a problem with the Mac Book Air in 3 4 years and the second redundant one gets used just to keep it happy
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 06:13   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

For those of you thinking of getting a tablet my experience may help.

I purchased one about 12 months ago after every single cruiser I met said "you have to get an iPad".

I was skeptical, and felt I would use it for 10% of of my time on the computer and laptop the other 90%.
In practice It is the other way around. I use the iPad 90% of the time. (If I could find I computer store and get some toys so I can play movies from my iPad (which I think is possible) it would be 98% iPad.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 06:40   #44
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
For those of you thinking of getting a tablet my experience may help.

I purchased one about 12 months ago after every single cruiser I met said "you have to get an iPad".

I was skeptical, and felt I would use it for 10% of of my time on the computer and laptop the other 90%.
In practice It is the other way around. I use the iPad 90% of the time. (If I could find I computer store and get some toys so I can play movies from my iPad (which I think is possible) it would be 98% iPad.
Sameish here, just got nexus 7, Cheaper and smaller Boots up instantly which is a big one for being used a lot. Loads manuals on there already.
Just need opencpn to get sorted for android
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 06:44   #45

Boat: 48' Hi Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
I keep seeing these Itronix gobook 3 computers on ebay. They are rugged military spec computers that were $5000. new. They are outdated but have updated software and built in gps receivers. $125. !!! GENERAL DYNAMICS ITRONIX GOBOOK XR-1 LAPTOP - 2.0 GHz T2500 2GB 160GB IX-250 3 | eBay.

If anyone has experience with these please let us know. (I am thinking of getting one)
Sorry, I'm a little late to the party. We are on a motor vessel. We have three of these Itronix gobook 3's on our boat. I'm on one right now. We have had no problems with any of them. We got ours through eBay from a vendor in Florida. They may have slightly different software/features depending on the vendor, so double-check that. The one I'm on right now has the GPS/Microsoft Streets & Trips software. I had the Microsoft Office suite uploaded. Some might come with that software already loaded. Once again, check to see what's on the computer you plan go get.

We also got the mounting tray/brackets (found on eBay). We have one on the lower helm and one on the flybridge to mount the computers while in use and also save on battery usage. It make it handy to use ActiveCaptsain or other navigation software at the helm, providing you have a WiFi hotspot/Air card.

They are not the prettiest laptops, and they are heavy, but for what we want, they are great. I haven't done it yet, but one of the reasons we got these is to be able to put them in the dinghy and go ashore to an internet cafe if needed to get on the Net. They are supposed to be able to withstand getting wet, getting dropped (within reason) and temperature extremes. I think they are definitely worth the cost for a refurbished computer. We have had ours for at least three years. We got the first one and were so impressed we got two more within a few months. We also got extra memory for one of them. I can't remember now how many GB, but that was an option.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Tags
laptop