Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-04-2014, 14:22   #1

Boat: Valiant 50
Torqeedo 1003

We bought this to use with our tender.

The lack of power and limited range, although disappointing was not a surprise because we were aware of it and could accept it.

First the positives:
Very Clever design.
Lightweight.
Easy to use.

The Negatives
Fragile
Flimsy
Shoddily Made.
Vastly overpriced. BMW price for a Great Wall product.
Essentially this is an expensive toy at best.
No one carries spares except the importer.
Recharging is very slow.

So what went wrong in 2 months use?
The skeg broke while we had it in a cockpit locker.
The safety shut off key fob broke and discharged the magnet into the sea - this disabled us for 10 days until a replacement could be found.
Other bits have fallen off due to glue failures.
The fairing of the leg is twisted. Not sure how that happened as we treat it with kid gloves.

My advice is to buy any other brand gas outboard - it will outlive this toy.

Old 15-05-2014, 12:01   #2

Re: Torqeedo 1003

I've bought the TT1003s recently, and agree with all your pros and some cons. I would not say it is flimsy and shoddily made, it is lightweight and some fit could be improved.

In addition, it has some of the prototype, or early model, characteristics ... the electric cables and plastic inserts/locks could be improved with built in connectors and locks.

I was surprised how quickly the battery was charged ... expected something like 16-18 hours based on marketing info. It did charge from 10% to 100% in 12 hours using regular/slow charger. The rapid charger is about to be released which should cut the charging time by half.

How did you manage to break off the skeg while in storage, rough weather? Luckily, the skeg is a service item and is easy to replace. There are multiple resellers of Torqeedo units and parts in USA and Canada.

What really makes me wonder ... how did you manage to break the magnetic key. It's a flat round magnet enclosed in an flexible plastic. Have you driven a tank over it?

Old 15-05-2014, 12:48   #3

Boat: Valiant 50

Glad you asked..

Skeg broke while in storage in cockpit locker. I did try to be careful as to how it was packed but clearly, not careful enough.

The magnetic key is of the of the old type - made of two bits of plastic glued together. The line that goes through it got caught up in the tiller and the glue let go, resulting in two halves flipping into the water.

The "new" version is a one piece moulded rubber one. Indicating that I am not Robinson Crusoe on the island of broken magnetic keys.

I stand by my comments - at half the price, a 2HP Honda aircooled outboard is by far a better choice in every respect.

The Torqeedo is an overpriced fragile, plastic toy.
Old 15-05-2014, 12:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
I stand by my comments - at half the price, a 2HP Honda aircooled outboard is by far a better choice in every respect.
I am sure it is in many respects ...
Old 15-05-2014, 17:48   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

2 hp Honda needs to be stored on one side only, otherwise problems. The on/off switch is very susceptible to damage. Your fuel needs to be absolutely clean otherwise you'll notice first that it won't idle properley and later it won't run unless the choke is all the way out and finally it'll die. The sight glass on the side of the motor to check the oil fill is not accurate unless the engine is mounted 100% vertically. Any amount of sunlight and it is very hard to see.

Nothing seems to be perfect for all applications. The Torqeedo is still an experiment in my mind. Our club has two of them and we're still experimenting and repairing as we go. They won't take awful abuse but stand up much better over the years than the MinnKota electric.
Old 15-05-2014, 17:50   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Oh, and definitely it is overpriced. But then again its still a prototype. I remember when hand calculator with just very basic functions were over $100.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: