Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2014, 05:26   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Thoughts on Starbrite Tropical Teak Oil

After spending days with a heat gun and scraper I have finally removed the last of the Bristol finish, what an expensive disaster. After completely stripping and refinishing the boats teak four times in nine years I have come to the conclusion that I never want a hard finish on the boat again, however I am not willing to let the teak go grey. A couple of the members here have lauded the benefits of Starbrite Tropical Teak Oil claiming years of service between coatings, no sanding on recoats, finish gently wears away, etc, etc. I have drank this "Coolaid" before only to get burnt.

Last September I applied TTO dark color to the pulpit platform as a little test before I buy the whole enchilada. It has held up well so far but 8 mos is no test of the products durability. On of the things I have noticed with the product is that it doesn't handle any abrasion well, my shore power cord has rubbed through the finish in a small area, I am assuming repair of this spot should be fairly easy.

I have a friend who has done his Cape Dory's woodwork with the product and it didn't last a year, he is in the process of redoing all over with the same product. Members here have had varying results, some have gotten years of use, others not so much.

I would love to hear real world experience on the Tropical Teak Oil as well as other types of products that will give a decent color with very low maintenance, no sanding or scraping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bristol Removed May 2014.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	80795  
Old 09-05-2014, 05:49   #2

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Thoughts on Starbrite Tropical Teak Oil

It's easy to apply...that' all I can really say positive.

Our applications last about 4 months then start to look bad and needs a recoat. This doesn't take long at all, but it's not the years of service some get.

I think the wear has to do with it getting wet and washing off. It's worn more in areas like the bow, and around scuppers then the stern which sees little water. At least it doesn't get water under it and peel off like varnish.

I'll keep it on just because it's quick and easy to apply, not because of looks or longevity.

Matt
Old 09-05-2014, 05:49   #3

Boat: 1983 Aloha 34

We just bought our boat in feb and one of the first things I wanted to do was to get that wood looking good. It was grey and weathered. We did lots of research we decided on cetol. I am in love with the results! We applied two coats of marine cetol and two coats of cetol gloss. It will supposedly be low maintenance (I'm hoping to re-apply gloss coat every two yrs and be done with it)

When we purchased the boat, it came with the cleaner/brightener/oil. I did a test patch on the boat and it looked really good. But within a month or two time it almost blended right back into the weathered grey look.

I will post pics of before and after cetol Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1399639580.640339.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	80797Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1399639602.472870.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	80798Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1399639615.866833.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	80799
Old 09-05-2014, 05:58   #4

We did cetol at first, but water got under it and it lifted off after a year. I'm sure it was an application issue, as we were in indoor storage in winter and couldn't prep well before we applied it.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:08   #5

Out of curiosity after it lifted off did you have to sand it down or did the color wear off naturally? And what are you doing now?
Old 09-05-2014, 06:10   #6

Oh just kidding I see you are using the oil. Yea that's our backup plan if we get tired of fooling with it.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:54   #7

We were cruising down the Potomac after visiting D.C., and I was on deck with the heat gun stripping Cetol off while enjoying the scenery. It does come off easy with heat.

Matt
Old 09-05-2014, 10:39   #8
mcm

we gave up on teak oil for our aft cockpit, 12ft x 6 ft..going with natural and soft scrub and soap to keep it clean...the oil attracts dirt over the winter and it's a pita to keep back to clean wood. 20 yrs and no more oils, or coatings, the beauty of teakwood is it's ability to last with minimal care, adding coatings just adds work and wear to remove.
My 2c...ymmv
mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:58   #9

teak bright work
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:30   #10

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
It's easy to apply...that' all I can really say positive.

Our applications last about 4 months then start to look bad and needs a recoat. This doesn't take long at all, but it's not the years of service some get.

I think the wear has to do with it getting wet and washing off. It's worn more in areas like the bow, and around scuppers then the stern which sees little water. At least it doesn't get water under it and peel off like varnish.

I'll keep it on just because it's quick and easy to apply, not because of looks or longevity.

Matt
The areas that I have done with the Tropical Teak Oil are going on eight months and still look very good, two coats minimum. If I had to recoat the boat every four months I wouldn't consider the product, boat has a lot of detail work and a good portion of the application is done balancing in the dink.
Old 09-05-2014, 13:14   #11

Wait until you're out of cold north. It's not bad-since it's so easy to apply- but 4 months and we start seeing gray. We do two coats as well.

Also, yours is one of the only Westsails I have seen that looks like it hasn't been ridden hard and put away wet....maybe Cetol would be a better choice. Gloss would look great on your boat.

Matt

Tags
cal, oil