Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2008, 22:58   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
The New-Style Fuel Cans

Last year I had emptied the fuel tanks of what I thought might be 5-7 year old diesel from my fuel tanks and cleaned them. I decided to fill them up since the marina I am in was going to raise the fuel price .50 cents a gallon in 2 days. Since I need 100 gallons it represented a good savings doing it now. Unfortunately the harbor here is silted in terribly and unless you can get in at high tide, you will go aground. The tides did not co-operate with the times the pump was open and decided to jerry-can 100 gallons of diesel via 5 of these new 5 gallon "environmentally sound" (Blitz manufactured) jerry cans.
The use a slip nozzel which when depressed by inserting it in the fuel fill allows the flow of fuel and also sucking air back in through the nozzel.
All I can say is "what a useless piece of s#@!. They leaked all over my deck, were extremely slow and one of them had not been moulded correctly in the handle area which also leaked. There is a tiny plastic lip on the slip part of the nozzel which when pushed against the side of the fuel fill allows the valve to open and allow fuel flow. After one attempt of allow the 50 lbs. of the full containerto depree the nozzel, it was mushed beyond recognition. After that tiny lip is gone, there would be no way to slip the nozzel back. After my first attempt with these cans, I resorted to a large funnel and removing the nozzel and free pouring. Much faster and no spills.
I'm not sure which whizz-kid designed these but he should go back to school. Oddly these are made in the U.S...shamefull!!! I expect this type of junk from overseas.
Anyone else frustrated by this?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 23:13   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I got so frustrated with one of those new fuel can spouts that I unscrewed the whole damn thing and ended up spilling more fuel and putting more vapors into the atmosphere than if I had the old style spout.

What retards think of this stuff? Do they actually go out and test it in real world situations? Obviously not.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 04:38   #3
cruiser

I was complaining about these about 1.5 -2 yrs ago on here. Yes, they claim to be "environmentally sound" when in reality they are responsible for more spills than using a friggin twistie straw would have been!

Seriously, they do have another revision of them out now which does work. Look for the ones with the little tiny cap that comes off (a small cap the size of a thimble that is in the shape of a top-hat from the old days).

These ones actually *do* work. They are just a hard version of our old flexy spouts with a cap on the end of the spout.

Blitz got a lot of angry notes (mine included) about how their new design was ruining the environment and how I spilled more fuel into the water than I had in my entire life using their design just one time.

In their defense, a law was passed that required them to make that initial change. Their 2nd revision (with the little tophat cap) actually works. If you see one of those cans described above for sale, definitely don't even think about buying it. As he said... they don't work.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 04:44   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I have a couple of the original models. It took some trial and error (with spilled diesel and much cursing), but I finally was able to get them to work without spilling. The secret is to fill them to only 4-1/2 gallons or less. Something about having the air space available in the jug allows air to enter the jug as the fuel begins coming out, so that it comes out more smoothly, and not in big "burps"..
Old 27-04-2008, 07:23   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
It was the "Grating State of Kalifornia" I believe that pushed those horrible cans into existence. I used to have a small tractor business and it got to the point where I took the nozzles off and thru them away. Really pieces of crap even when standing on solid ground. A cap and a funnel sound much better.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 08:48   #6

Sully...I will check to see if I can find the revised nozzel. But if it is still a chinzy piece of plastic that will deform under the weight of 45 lbs. of diesel, I will continue to use a funnel or perhaps buy a laboratory container and use it instead. We can put a man in space, but we cannot make a decent fuel can.
Here's a funny story from WWII. The Brits had fuel cans that were much like these BLITZ cans. Meaning they leaked and a pain to pour. The Germans (Jerry's) had the 5 gallon upright can that we still see today [Originally called a Wehrmachtskanister]. When the Allied forces would over-run the Germans, they would be sure to grab all of the "Jerry" cans they could and use them. When they needed to fuel up, they would say "Hey, go grab me that Jerry can". And now you know the rest of the story!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 27-04-2008, 08:56   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Celestial...great story. I never knew that.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 09:52   #8

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
Those stupid nozzles are even worse for autos than for boats. Thanks to the fuel fill restrictor (flap door thing).

Even filling my tractor which does not have a restrictor is a pain. The thin ring that is supposed to make a seal to the tank and also push back the nozzle is just a tiny bit too small. So it goes into my filler neck and gets stuck. I have to try to offset and use one side of the thin plastic to push the nozzle open. Which then defeats the "fume" catching and when the fumes are not pushing into the can, it tends to blub slowly.

Short story.. I end up spilling, cussing, and hating that can.

The best can I have is my plastic can with a flexy nozzle. Not the one you remove the lid and pull a nozzle up tight (which still leaks) but the kind where you take the screw on ring off, remove a blocker cap, flip the nozzle over, and put the ring back on. Even has "o" rings. Never leaks a drop.

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
https://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 10:03   #9

Boat: 44 footer
They are terrible... Gets old holding 5 gallons off the fuel filler so it doesn't distort the tube.

Though out of my ten or so gas cans I prefer them over the thin round stamped steel style with the turned lip that dribbles onto your shoe no matter how you hold it, and toss a cup of gas everywhere but in the funnel if the vent cap isn't unscrewed enough... to much and the cap leaks. The best plastic ones have the hard plastic spout, and a replaceable internal screen. Don't even need a funnel, and the vent is at the highest point when pouring. (But then the spout is in the way, and only sort of seals so the gas evaporates... just can't win for losing!)

The old steel fire/explosion rated cans are pretty decent too, with the cam handle that opens the lid, but back to needing a funnel.

I wonder if the new ones use the same thread diameter and pitch for the water tanks...
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 10:40   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
We can put a man in space, but we cannot make a decent fuel can.

I'm not so sure we can do this either anymore. We cut many of the programs and seem to be "outsourcing" putting people in space to Russia!

What sad state of affairs for those heros in WWII that helped build this country. It was so great... wish we had it back.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 11:12   #11

Everytime I buy a new fuel can, it has some new dispensing gizmo that doesn't work! I think you can do better with a 10 gallon bucket and a funnel!! (show up with that at the fuel dock and see what they say!!). I usually try to knock out or drill out the innerds of those spouts to make them old fashioned (i.e. useful!!!!)
cslascro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 09:12   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Celestial,

Speaking of fuel, are you fueling up your body over at the Mexican restaurant on the north end of the San Leandro Marina parking lot? Loved doing Sunday brunch there!!!!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 12:31   #13

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene :^) View Post

The best can I have is my plastic can with a flexy nozzle. Not the one you remove the lid and pull a nozzle up tight (which still leaks) but the kind where you take the screw on ring off, remove a blocker cap, flip the nozzle over, and put the ring back on. Even has "o" rings. Never leaks a drop.
My favorite too........if it has a filter screen!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 20:56   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
The best cans I have used are made by Sceptre from Canada, available in the US from a variety of retailers - ours were bought @ Boaters World. They are NOT perfect. I use the oil/petrol absorbent squares whenever I dispense fuel and ususally find I have to wipe up a few drops.

I got one of the new Blitz cans with the little yellow cap. It works way better than their previous models, but you must use a funnel (and that can create its OWN issues!). Sceptre is still the best in my (limited) experience.
Old 29-04-2008, 21:18   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Celestial,

Speaking of fuel, are you fueling up your body over at the Mexican restaurant on the north end of the San Leandro Marina parking lot? Loved doing Sunday brunch there!!!!
Sorry...That place is way to fancy for me...I go up the street to the Sea Food Marina Mexican joint and chow down a vedgie Burrito for $6. I can eat in San Leandro cheaper than Mexico now-a-days...

Tags
fuel