Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-08-2009, 21:21   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Wouldn't it be nice if new fuel can designs were field tested by the general public?

We had to throw out the EPA approved fuel tanks at work because they ended up being dangerous. People who used them got so frustrated with them that they would end up unscrewing the caps and would pour the gas directly from the can into the tank...with no spout at all which inevitably would get gasoline everywhere.

I am interested as well where to find inexpensive gas cans with an ordinary vent and spout that seals completely. The kind with the spout that goes inside and then flips around when you want to pour it is not very useful either.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 00:51   #47

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
What you are describing sounds like a sophisticated version of what was shown me by a delivery captain.
He used a 5 ft length of 1 1/4 inch hose inserted to the bottom of the jug(through the pourer hole till it touches the bottom), other end into the tank (on which the jug was sitting). He then wrapped and pressed a rag around the hose where it entered the jug, leaving a small gap to blow into, starting the siphon.
That big hose would drain the 25 liter jugs in seconds. Helps if there is not much airspace in the jug when starting this process.
I also use this method but I only use a length of ordinary garden hose. It takes a bit longer but it is easy to store. I love not having to worry about spillage with this method.

Kiwikat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: