Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2013, 04:44   #1

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now
Ted Williams 7hp Outboard

7hp 2 stroke Ted Williams

Saw this ad, dude still has the outboard, but I dont know much about these motors. They have been branded by many names. eska, gamefisher, sears, etc. Any yall had or can give some insight to these motors? Before jumpin on the harley and taking a putt to Atoka, though I would ask hear first. It would be a backup motor for my dink.

The 2hp mariner I got is a great little motor, thanks Rocketman, but I thought having an inexpensive back up would be a good thing, and if this is all it needs to fix, then its a steal. but thats a pretty big IF.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 04:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Ted Williams 7hp Outboard

outside of the states you will have great difficulty getting spares for it,yammy,mariner or tohatsu are the way to go
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 04:55   #3

I had a Wizard outboard once. It was a great motor, right up to the day it needed to be fixed, and I couldn't find anybody who could find parts for it.

It's kind of neat to have some stuff that's kind of rare. Outboards aren't on that list.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 05:34   #4

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

It's probably too heavy for your dink to be honest.
And, you can do better regarding makes of motors.
I'd pass this up and keep looking regardless if its a good deal or not.
In my opinion.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 06:28   #5

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

yeah yall probably right....then there is the hassle of getting it to KW. I will keep lookin.

EOTR...do you know a guy name Vincent at our marina? Had a friend tell me to contact him when I get back to my boat.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 06:47   #6

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Max Wawrzyniak is an old outboard guru, and he discusses Eskas a bit here:

A Primer on Old Outboards

"...
Eska pretty much took over the wholesale end of the outboard business after the Gale division of OMC ceased producing outboards in 1964 and evolved into OMC’s sterndrive division. Most of the Sears Gamefisher and Ted Williams outboards are Eskas, but not all. I owned quite a few of these engines early in my antique outboarding career, but quickly disposed of them when I became aware of the stigma that some members of the antique outboard clan attach to them. Of course, the same stigma used to be attached to the Sears “Water Witch” outboards of the 1930’s, and some of the Water Witches are much sought after now. Parts availability for the air-cooled Clintons and Eskas is hit-and-miss, but the engines generally sell very cheap, usually less than what an OMC 20 years their elder will sell for. By the way, although “air-cooled,” many of the Clintons and Eskas were fitted with water pumps which cooled the motor’s “leg” and the bottom of the engine block. Some early versions had a scoop behind the prop. for providing this cooling water. I suspect that many of these pump-equipped engines are running with bad impellers and their owners are unaware of it. It is my understanding that Eska claimed it’s engines could be run with bad impellers if the oil ratio was increased. Eska also produced a few fully-water-cooled 9.9’s and 15’s that I would avoid because there are very few of these larger models seen, parts are bound to be very difficult or expensive to buy, and since these are relatively new engines, their owners generally want too much money for them."
--------------

Max's book "Cheap Outboards" is a very handy reference for which old motor to buy (often at yard-sale prices), and how to get it running and keep it running.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 06:47   #7

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
yeah yall probably right....then there is the hassle of getting it to KW. I will keep lookin.

EOTR...do you know a guy name Vincent at our marina? Had a friend tell me to contact him when I get back to my boat.
maybe, not sure.
your likely to get a good deal advertised on craigslist and for sale in marathon, maybe by a snowbird, honest retiree. I have seen some great deals lately on fresh water hardly used, in like new condition.
But here in key west everything is used and abused just like the inhabitants.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard