Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2009, 15:25   #1

Boat: Tashiba 36
Teak Cleaner?

We are in the process of repairing and eventually varnishing our bowsprit. Today I finished the sanding and we applied some teak cleaner and brightner in preparation for varnishing. The cleaner and brightner we used did not seem to improve the look that much and that caused us to remember fondly a product we used years ago. I believe it was called 27 seconds, 37 seconds, or some similar name. We bought a bottle and the instructions were to spray it on (similar to windex bottle) wait the required seconds and hose it off. It worked fabulously. However, the next year we could not find it again.

Anyone remember this product and know why it disappeared from the market? Possibly too toxic?
sparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 15:39   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I've not heard of it, but Oxalic acid works great to get rid of the old dead wood surface.
It should be available at a chandlery and probably a hardware store.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 18:44   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I've not heard of it, but Oxalic acid works great to get rid of the old dead wood surface.
A cheap product called Bar Keepers Friend is a mild version of this. I get it at the "dollar Store for about a dollar and a half. It also works on stainless steel and fiberglass too. You really don't need the high powered works in 30 seconds products. Wood can stain and it can go deep. A mild cleaner and some very light sanding will do about all you can expect. The red color of teak comes from the natural oils in the wood. Most modern teak has less than the real Asian Teak (they only real teak). Using stronger chemicals will just bleach out the oils and turn the wood silver and then lose all the preservative powers of the teak oil.

For real teak, a light sand paper should yield blood red dust easily. The outer layer turns silver but the red oil impregnated wood will lie below a very very thin layer. The modern sustainable forest "Honey Teak" used today is not really teak at all and lacks about 2/3rds the oil content of the real Asian Teak.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 20:31   #4

Boat: 1995 Beneteau Oceanis 281
I use an Aurora product and I LOVE it. It is a two part that comes with a brush. Apply and scrub a little. The first one turns the old gray wood black, and the second one turns it back to a beatiful brown.
Good Luck
Waterborn is offline   Reply With Quote