Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-09-2012, 08:12   #1

Boat: Sabre 42
Tacktick depth/speed and multi display

I know there are several people who don't care for Tacktick systems, and there are some issues in regards to reliability and connectivity. But, I just discovered a huge plus, atleast for me.

One caveat, I don't have the manual, so this might be a well known feature... regardless it's assured me on my decision.

I have the mn 100-2 display... it's the wireless, solar powered display, and it's linked to a triducer giving me depth, speed and temp. A killer feature of this system is the ability to demount the display with a push of a tab, and take it where you want. I have it's brain wired to my instruments breaker on the boat, so I naturally assumed with the breaker off, the sensors wouldn't function. Not true!

While anchored last night, I wanted to monitor the depth, but I only have one 80amp hour battery, so I'm cautious about my power usage. I turned off my instruments, and turned on this display, and took it to my vbirth... and it showed me the depth the whole night! I had the light on setting one... so I could wake up and glance at it and know where I was... and there was a depth alarm set too.

It didn't even dent its internal battery, and had no effect on my house battery. This gave me a huge piece of mind, without a repeater unit, and without using the house battery!

Old 27-09-2012, 08:19   #2

Boat: Niagara 35
Nice! My internal battery on the sender only lasts about half an hour. Must be getting older.

Old 27-09-2012, 09:17   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.
Re: Tacktick depth/speed and multi display

Depth senders use very little power anyway (about 0.1A) but the power is never for "free". If the sender is running on an internal battery it will require this power to be replaced when the breaker is eventually turned on.

The net power usage will always be more to allow for the inefficiencies discharging and recharging the internal battery, although its possible this could be done on shore power or with the engine running if it was timed just right.
Old 27-09-2012, 09:53   #4

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Tacktick depth/speed and multi display

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Depth senders use very little power anyway (about 0.1A) but the power is never for "free". If the sender is running on an internal battery it will require this power to be replaced when the breaker is eventually turned on.

The net power usage will always be more to allow for the inefficiencies discharging and recharging the internal battery, although its possible this could be done on shore power or with the engine running if it was timed just right.
True enough. In my case, though, the "sailing instruments" breaker turns on a lot more than the TackTick depth, so I lose a great deal more than 0.1A.
Old 27-09-2012, 15:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham

True enough. In my case, though, the "sailing instruments" breaker turns on a lot more than the TackTick depth, so I lose a great deal more than 0.1A.
Exactly. I understand it's a small number of amps we are talking about, especially relative to someone watching tv, using their blender, or getting ice out of their ice maker... it is just kinda nice knowing it has this ability without really costing anything.

I felt more comfortable sleeping that night, which makes a huge difference to me. And it's something I wasn't expecting it could do.

Also, if you have the wind instrument, and you tie the two together, it doesn't just repeat the wing display, it's tied separately to the wind transmitter, so your wind display doesn't need to be on. You can also set a wind speed alarm. So now you have alarms in your birth at night for both depth and wind... incase you're a heavy sleeper, or you finished that second bottle of wine.
Old 27-09-2012, 15:45   #6

Umm... Berth... not birth.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: