Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-09-2015, 20:21   #16

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: T-Mobile Expands International Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I think I saw on their website that maximum speeds would be 128kbps.

Mark
Its a technology not a speed. I used to do network testing for Verizon and AT&T... they say 128 but you will often find that 2G will go to 250ish and that 3G is capped at 250ish. Especially if the tower is not busy.

Its all about how they configure the switch at each tower. You could have two towers right next to each other and one tower could be using a switch from one manufacturer and work at 128 and the one next to it using a different switch or set differently and it could be providing 64, and so on.

In any case, 128 Kpbs is fine for facebook and surfing and emailing because overall speed is a result of several factors, the other one being latency. You could have a 3G 400 Kbps high-latency connection and get worse service than a 128 kpbs connection at a very low latency. This is why you can find good service using 2G in places.

BTW - instead of taking my word for it... download this app and give it a try. You can see if the user experience is worth it or not.

http://www.charlesproxy.com/document...ng/throttling/

Old 19-09-2015, 20:25   #17

Boat: Westsail 32

I dropped T-Mobile in the US with disgust after 5 months. They said they'd charge me $30 per month and the bill was $42. Be careful.

Old 19-09-2015, 20:45   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch

Uhm always interesting when it comes to mobile experiences. I have experienced holes in t-mobile coverage. However I do travel most of Florida most of the west coast, Miami, ft. Lauderdale, Daytona, and Gainesville with no problems. A lot has to do with a particular area. Was an at&t customer for decades. However, in Englewood or Venice very bad coverage. The at&t dropped calls in NYC are legendary. My company traded 40 phones from at&t to Verizon because we just couldn't do business (at&t actual was very honest with us).

I travel a lot throughout the NE, south thru Texas, and the west coast. I keep 4GLTE without a problem.

I do agree that when T-mobile started out they were the "cheap" carrier. However over the last two years they have strived to become known as the global carrier while understanding that the days of expensive service and roaming charges are going away thanks to IP phones and Walmart.

Having said that, if it doesn't work in your area then don't use it (like any carrier). I hear legitimate complaints about all of the carriers.

If you travel or make and receive a ton of international calls then give it a try.

They do need to improve but I have been seeing them implement these improvements.

One other point. I have seen that the support from the retail stores is not good. Hold over from the old days.

I am surprised by criticisms on the tech support line.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-09-2015, 20:46   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

BTW, I am typing this using 4g from a little town called Huanren, China.

Old 17-11-2015, 12:22   #20

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

From their site:

"Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network."

Matt[/QUOTE]

Can you tell me how to find this? We were planning to switch and the salesgirl says that isn't true anymore but...
Old 17-11-2015, 14:57   #21

Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolagal View Post
From their site:

"Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network."

Matt
Can you tell me how to find this? We were planning to switch and the salesgirl says that isn't true anymore but...[/QUOTE]

It's in the disclaimer at the bottom of there page for international plans. Here's the total small print:

"
Limited time offer; subject to change. Additional charges apply in excluded destinations; included destinations subject to change at T-Mobile’s discretion. Qualifying postpaid Simple Choice plan and capable device required. Taxes additional; usage taxed in some countries. Voice and text features for direct communications between 2 people. Communications with premium-rate (e.g., 900, entertainment, high-rate helpline) numbers not included and may incur additional charges. Calls over Wi-Fi are $.20/min (no charge for Wi-Fi calls to U.S.). Coverage not available in some areas; we are not responsible for the performance of our roaming partners’ networks. Standard speeds approx. 128 Kbps. No tethering. Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network. Device must register on our U.S. network before international use. Service may be terminated or restricted for excessive roaming or misuse"

Matt
Old 18-11-2015, 07:07   #22

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Thanks Matt, I've called Tech Support and they also say that no longer applies and that the website hadn't been totally updated.

We don't head back to the boat in Grenada until after the holidays. Think I'll wait and see.
nolagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 08:47   #23

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Also, it seems to only be 2G and not tetherable.

I could be wrong on those points - their info is sparse and confusing.

Mark
The TMobile deal sounds attractive but the 2g data is mostly useless for web surfing or tethering.

The vast majority of web sites are so bloated with javascript and ad data tracking to be unreachable on anything less than a strong 3g signal.

We had a little more luck using operamax vpn and updating apps like evernote.

The deals TMobile does in each country is where the issue lies. In Australia that is Vodaphone who have a dreadful service on 3g and 4g.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-11-2015, 03:39   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As I mentioned I have extensive worldwide experience with T-Mobile for almost two years. This includes Europe and APAC. I have yet to get any other than a 3g connection. I sometimes have to call tech support (eg China where the problem was China Mobile so they switched me to China Unicom). The support has been great. My wife has had the same experience.

Have not used it in the Caribbean.

Old 19-11-2015, 09:46   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We used it for a bit in the Bahamas and it does connect to 3G/HSPA+, but limits throughput to 128kbps.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 19:41   #26

Boat: Fountain Pajot Orana 44

Surprised no one has mentioned Google Fi project. You get the best of T-Mobile and Verizon coverage, great international rates and an awesomely low price. My Nexus 6 has been the best cell phone I've had in years.

Tags
mob

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: