Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 07:55   #1

Boat: One-off Baron von Hoevell, 29ft steel classic
Super navik (and navik windvanes in general)

Hi there,

So, here's the story. I've been looking out for a second hand windvane for a while now, and they seem few and far between in the "budget" section. My initial idea was to go for a Hydrovane, but that seems completely unrealistic now. The budget is 1000€ and I'm located in Belguim (can drive to France/UK/...).

Anyway, I bumped into a super navik windvane that's for sale nearby. The price isn't too horrible, and supposedly it's a supersized version of the classic navik vane. A few questions come to mind, none of which the owner could answer for me:

1. Is there any possible disadvantage to using such a robust windvane on a smaller boat? My boat will be about 6,5 metric tonnes in full cruising attire and is 8,7m long.

2. I understand navik vanes are pretty decent quality, but since they aren't made anymore, can they still be relied upon for long crossings? Are parts still readily available? Will Plastimo stand by your side when **** hits the fan?

3. Can anybody comment on the general preformance of navik vanes (or better yet, the super navik in particular)? What are their weaknesses? Is mounting them to a reverser transom any hard?

Thanks guys!
Orchidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:12   #2

Boat: One-off Baron von Hoevell, 29ft steel classic
Re: Super navik (and navik windvanes in general)

No naviks out there...?
Orchidius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windvane