Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 22:20   #61

Boat: Valiant 50
re: SpeedSeals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Edgecomb View Post
I was just getting ready to buy one. The results of the posts show that this company does not have good customer service. I will just leave my pump as is. I keep at least three spares on hand.
This is your first and only post. So you joined The Cruisers Forum especially to share this information?
Old 09-09-2011, 05:30   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Nick E.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 15:17   #63
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

I thought Bashing was verboten
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 16:26   #64

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Using it on our second boat now and love it. They have been great to work with, prompt and always answer my questions. They even sent me a set of O rings at no charge when I ask about replacements AFTER I bought the unit. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 17:19   #65

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Yep, great to work with. Spoke to them on the phone and they answered my questions. Have used it for two seasons now and works perfectly. Just as advertised. A good product.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:45   #66

Boat: Newport 30 111

Thankyou for the positive posts. I did not see them before making my statement of speedseal negative service. All I saw were several negative posts and based my desision on that before purchasing. I wii give them a try now. I
Nick Edgecomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 18:29   #67

Re: SpeedSeal Recommended

There is a post titled SpeedSeal not recommended. I would like to change that to Speed Seal recommended! I've had my Gallant 53 in the Caribbean for over 17 years. The Perkins 4.236 is mounted very low and forward in the hull. Access is difficult. The water pump">Raw water pump is below the injector pump and is large and gear driven and is very difficult to remove. To remove the cover plate on the pump is an exercise in slight of hand... mainly feel and maybe a mirror. Imagine those tiny slotted screws in a seaway..and when they come loose, they head for the bilge unless you can set up a catchment system to prevent that...if they do drop down, of course their are nonferrous so no retrieval with a magnet.

We started out doing term charters and are now daysailing out of St Thomas.
When something breaks we lose money. The Speedseal has made it easier to check the impeller for preventative maintenance. If during a charter, if needed, I can change it in minutes rather than an hour +. I like The companies recommendation to put together a kit next to the pump that includes a new impeller, a zip tie to bend the blades in the right direction, the lube for the impeller and cover, a new o-ring, and the impellor removal tool that they provide with a new unit. I rate Speedseal a 10!
Alaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:38   #68

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I just wanted to report that I have used the SpeedSeal for another season (three total so far) with absolutely no issues. Works as advertised, holds up well (no signs of wear), makes it easier to change the impellor. I like it.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:19   #69

I installed a Speed Seal on my Westerbeke 27 diesel which on my boat had the waterpump in a really BAD location that made changing the impeller a real bear. So it probably did not get done as much as it should have:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: Lessons learned: The raw water impeller.
So I bought a Speed Seal cover. One note of caution I had to buy a new water pump because the original 1986 pump on the Westerbeke diesel would not work with the Speed Seal cover. So you really need to check if your model pump is compatible with the Speed Seal. I never did get to actually try it in practice as I sold the engine because I converted to electric propulsion. Which eliminated any impeller changes for me. But, it seems like a great idea especially if your water pump was as hard to get at as mine was.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:42   #70

DIY
Solder pennies into the slots of the screws, hylomar/rtv the gasket to the cover and a thin smear of grease on the mating face of the gasket.
If you have really bad access then drill holes in the pennies and tie a piece of cord or a cable tie through the hole to use as a lanyard.

Cost 4/6p and 1/2 an hour of your time.
Artif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:02   #71

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artif View Post
DIY
Solder pennies into the slots of the screws, hylomar/rtv the gasket to the cover and a thin smear of grease on the mating face of the gasket.
If you have really bad access then drill holes in the pennies and tie a piece of cord or a cable tie through the hole to use as a lanyard.

Cost 4/6p and 1/2 an hour of your time.

Necessity may be the mother of invention--but desperation is often the father.
Old 25-09-2012, 10:40   #72

SpeedSeal Not Recommended

I read this post and (sorry poster) assumed that when someone writes that a company "refused" to send something the problem is a failure to understand the product. Not with this company. I have been trying to get this company to send me the right part to the right address for two months. They don't send parts using any tracking. When they make mistakes, they talk about how they are behaving "properly". They don't seem to understand the element of time and how much it costs when they delay.

I would not recommend speedseal as a company.

The product looks like it provides a marginal advantage over screws for some engines. I have decided this advantage is not worth dealing with their company.
rtrowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 10:44   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
This is your first and only post. So you joined The Cruisers Forum especially to share this information?
No, their customer service is really that bad. I rarely post anywhere unless I have something that I really feel others should know.

People really should know that although this product looks like a great idea, all the advantages will get sucked up by dealing with the company.
rtrowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:57   #74

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: SpeedSeals

My Westerbeke W21 Engine original raw water pump #24143 is fitted for 10-24 x 3/8" cover plate screws (unmodified). The cover is 2 7/8" diameter.

Speedseal Cover
As I understand it, Speedseal makes covers for both Johnson and Jabsco pumps.
Alex 800-675-1105
10-24 UNC Fasteners/Holes would intrude into O-ring groove, don't have 10-24 available. Alex says:
If it is a Jabsco use 8-32 UNC fasteners for cover plate
If it is a Johnson -Sweden use M4 fasteners for cover plate
Speedseal
Welcome to Speedseal Safety Covers
Speedseal Life
Welcome to Speedseal Safety Covers
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...als-32766.html

I have found and Westerbeke has confirmed that the 24143 pump is intended for 10-24 UNC x 3/8" cover screws. I have been using Speedseal Thumbscrews which appear to be a little loose, but seem to work. I do not know what the size and thread is. I have been told by Speedseal that the ones I have are either M4 or 8-32 (which does not seem right because the threads do not appear to be 8-32). I will check this further. Speedseal cannot make 10-24 unc because the holes in the cover have to be made bigger and that interferes with the o-ring groove.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:07   #75

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: SpeedSeals

This is a bit confusing, I just found Torrenson Speedseals webpage with 10-24UNC thumbscrews

Speed Seals Sailboat Supplies, Engine Parts and Boat Parts

I may have to try modifying my cover to fit these screws, but not disturb the groove for the seal by careful use of a file in each of the 4 holes of the cover.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote