Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2009, 14:23   #1

Spectra Watermaker 200T

I have done some research and I like what I am reading about this watermaker. I know what the people who make it and sell them have to say. I would like to hear from anyone who has one.
KharmaSeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 20:41   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Buy one.

In 15 years and 2 boats, I've owned a

PUR 35, a PUR 80 and a Spectra 180. There is NO comparison.

Steve B.
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 05:32   #3

Boat: Victory V35 - Beach Cruiser
We installed the 200T last year and it works great. During our winter in the Bahamas we averaged about 8 gph and the solar had no problem keeping up.

Barry
Beach Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 09:33   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Remember the 200T is designed for "Tropical" water applications, hence the "T" in 200T. Depending on KarmaSeas crusing locations the 200T may or may not be the right choice.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 10:55   #5

We've had a 200T for around 18 months now, use it all the time and it works great, highly recommended. What's more, if you have a problem with it Spectra are great to deal with - our pressure gauge failed for no apparent reason (within the warranty period), they sent a replacement to us here in Grenada, no charge for shipping or anything, and didn't require me to send the faulty one back to them.

If I ever need to buy another watermaker, it'll be a Spectra.
Dedzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 11:03   #6

Boat: Catalina 470
Spectra Watermaker....

KharmaSeas,
As Tellie pointed out the 200T is designed for "tropical waters"......and while I'm not a Spectra engineer, I suspect that it is a "souped-up" / warm water version of my Ventura MPC-5000.....

My usual advice on watermakers:
1) Decide whether you really need one.....since many that "want" one do not really need one.....it all depends on where and how you're going to be cruising / voyaging.....
2) If you've decided to install a watermaker because you want one, rather than "need" one (as most watermaker owners, myself included, do).....make sure you understand as much or more about them as the guy selling it to you.....since you'll be the one to live with it!!!!
3) Choose a model carefully.......and remember the most important aspect of your decision at this point is the fact that watermakes need to be used (and used often) in order to perform reliably.....

I have a Spectra Ventura MPC-5000, which has worked well for me for the 2.5 years and 10,000 miles+ that I've had it.....
I wrote a detailed article (with lots of photos) about my descision, installation and operation of my Ventura MPC-5000.....
Have a look at it here: Watermaker

The only hick-up was a faulty "salinity probe" which forced me to run the unit for a few minutes with the product water bypassed (manual valve) from the tanks, and then test the product water for purity/salinity manually......until I got a replacement salinity probe....
This took only a coiple of weeks, and didn't adversely impact my making of water.....

I hope my personal experiences, article, and thoughts here have helped...

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 19:55   #7

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Ka4wja, that is a great report. Additionally, thanks for all the reports on your solar setup.

I did have the pleasure of using a Spectra Cape Horn Extreme in Mexico on a friends vessel. It performed perfectly. I should buy one.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:36   #8

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
I should buy one.
Yep.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:44   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Yep.

Did your parts arrive?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:48   #10

Boat: Farrier f27
I'm curious what the difference is between the 200T and the 150. what is it about the 200T that makes it work effectively in >50F and not in colder water. Is it aquestion for a spectra engineer?
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:40   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I'm curious what the difference is between the 200T and the 150. what is it about the 200T that makes it work effectively in >50F and not in colder water. Is it aquestion for a spectra engineer?

About $500 more.

All watermaker production is based on several things. Pressure, flow, temperature and salinity of the water. Knowing that the temperature effect across the membrane is important to determine its flow, warmer water will flow easier than colder water will. For those that have cruised from tropical climes to the colder climes and have used their watermakers in both, they will see a drop in production as they travel to colder water. So basically the 200T is designed with increased flow from the pumps which then increases production. If a 200T is operated in cold water the pressure will increase with diminished flow, risking possible damage to the membrane. Were the Ventura150 will basically self adjust to varying temperatures the 200T is specifically designed for warmer water applications.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:41   #12

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Did your parts arrive?

Still sorting which specific ones I need.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 19:37   #13
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
I make my living servicing & installing watermakers in the South Pacific, mainly land based but a lot of yacht work too and the one thing I try to drill into anyone looking to buy a unit is SIMPLICITY. There is absolutely no need to have PLC programmes, computerised widgits, solenoid valve thingies, even (god forbid) salinity meters. Crank it up, divert to drain until the water tastes good then run to tank. Most (all??) abrupt membrane failures occur on start up or sailing across river mouths and therefore it is usually safe to do away with all the fancy bits. This season I have seen one vessel with a membrane replacement necessary but numerous (mainly spectra unfortunately, seems a weak point) salinity probes and meters replaced, energy recovery pump overhauls, printed circuit card meltdowns etc.
My own watermaker has a big clunky on/off switch and it never lets me down.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watermaker