Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-06-2013, 11:32   #1

South Atlantic WindVane

Hi Purchased a South Atlantic windvane 2.5 months ago, on the proviso that the thing was shipped to Panama by DHL worldwide express, It wasnt and cost me my canal transit and 400$ for someone to look for it ...He sent it DHL Deush Post no tracking number once it left Europe and then handed over to Panama Post 5 weeks waiting originally told 8 dys thats why i paid for it before i left Australia on the condition that it would be sent the correct way "it wasnt" Colon post office is not a pleasant place believe me.Ive had no opology from the "team" at South Atlantic... The team also didnt respond to my pleas of help when the intial euporia experienced when it finally arrived were replaced by frustration and anger the mounting bracket only sat flush with the transom on one side as the two legs of cast crap werent at 90 degrees on the otherside and so all the tension was/is being point loaded on the corner bit that is on the transom.The backyard manufacturers of this unit werent interested the sand mouldings casts are done in Argentina in some shed then shipped to Germany where they have a south atlantic German stamp on them i can send photos of the quality if anybodies interested with holes and pits throuout the units mouldings they also use hard plastic bushings which Dont fit properly so alot of movement and play which they overcome by putting black silicon underneath this on mine has already pealed away. I only wish i would have bought the Monitor two years old i could have got from a fellow cruiser complete with wheel adaptor , pullies, thelot for 2,000 instead of paying these jerks 3,000 for this piece of crap iam currently in Ecuador trying to fix it as it has a stainless bolt thats bent and the rudder stays at 25 degrees oneway the South Atlantic team are unavailable and the Manual is as good as useless as its been translated from German and Norwegian as these guys speak very bad English O and i left out the part that the wheel adaptor didnt fit my wheel so i had to modify that as well, Jesus do yourself a favour and dont buy one of these things Nightmare. if anybody has one and knows if the bolt at the bottom of the pushrod is supposed to be bent please let me know .

Old 13-06-2013, 00:18   #2

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Re: South Atlantic WindVane

Yikes! Just curious how much has this contraption cost you so far? Why didnt you go mainstream with scanmar/cape horn/ fleming? I know on multiple accounts of cruisers getting parts flown into super remote locations from scanmar... My boat came with an original fleming. Built like a tank but needs to be rebuilt to get it purring again.

Hope all works out for you!

~Prism

Old 09-11-2013, 05:13   #3

Would you considere to sale the windvane?
If it is rubbish may be you would like to sale it?
I spoke with the company and they offer me asistance if I need it.
Old 10-11-2013, 19:35   #4

Sure but unfortunately its in Fiji so i don't know where you are i had the thing of the boat again in samoa and made a brand new servo rod out of S/S and repaired the original underbulit piece of junk (again) but haven't used it since if you did buy it you need to get an engineer to put a proper Gear on the bottom to turn the pendulum rudder instead of the stupid useless bent stainless bolt they currently use my advice would be to but a second hand Monitor or something thats engineered for sailors who go offshore and need a reliable piece of equipment, if you want to go for a toodle down the coast for a day the south atlentic may be ok for that, i wouldnt count on any backup from the owners od said company although if you speak German you may get some sense out of them .
Old 16-11-2013, 06:43   #5

Hi,
There are a few sailors that I follow that have that brand on board.
They are currently doing a circumnavigation, I think I would like to take the risk.
If you like, send me a PM and let me know what you ask for it
Old 05-07-2014, 10:54   #6

Better than words.
The youtube link bellow show the cape horn passage of the first Brazilian woman sailing around the world, non stop.
After a know down near Cape Horn, the only piece of equipment that continued working was her South Atlantic windvane.
Check it by your self:
Old 07-07-2014, 21:57   #7

Nepo i dont know who you are or WORK for, what you are posting about the South Atlantic windvane is rubbish and people will discover that for themselves Buyer Beware and dont give ANY money until you have inspected the unit as its manufactured in two different places primarily in Argentina with sand moulds in somebodies back shed and then sent to Germany for a drunk there to put the rest of it together,using cheap ill fitting materials, do not put this windvane on an Oceangoing yacht you risk personnel injury, and if single handed the loss of your yacht if your a serious sailor get one that has gears or you will end up slitting your own throat through frustration and anger.
Old 18-11-2014, 00:52   #8

Question: I donīt know who you are or WORK for... The video spoke by it self. Izabel Pimentel is a solo sailor, perhaps the most well know Brazilian solo sailor. The video footage : Cape Horn... what I can say about. For me it looks god enough.
Videos better than words:

Tags
windvane

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: