Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2018, 16:21   #1

solar panel question

Newbie here, glad I found your site. I purchased 2 100 watt Renogy solar panels with a Victron MPPT 110/20 bluetooth charge controller. I added 20 feet of 10 gauge wire, all MC4 connectors. In the noon sunshine here in California I max out about 100 watts (iPhone blue tooth connection) and 6.0 amps? Should I be getting closer to 10 or 12 amps? Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated! I also tried a HQST 30 PVM charge controller with same results..... Maybe I am expecting too much, not really sure.
fordtrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 16:44   #2

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Re: solar panel question

Most panels rate their wattage at 17.5 volts which would be 5.7 amps for 100w- No clouds, shadows, small angle of sun. I've also found most companies are a little bit conservative which equals out wire resistance. So I would be surprised if you got less than 11 amps. Mppt controllers will give you more when your battery voltage is low
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 16:46   #3

First question:

When you look at the output of the controller on your app, is it in "Bulk" charge at a voltage significantly below the absorbtion voltage?

If not, the batteries are the limiting factor.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 16:47   #4

Thanks sparrowhawk1 for the reply. So would 2 100 watt panels give me 10 or 11 amps?
Old 19-10-2018, 16:50   #5

Hey billknny. The led is amber which I believe is the absorbtion stage.
Old 19-10-2018, 16:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrbo View Post
If you are in absorption charge phase, then you can not expect full output from the panels. They are outputting all the batteries can take, and are limited because of the acceptance rate of the batteries.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 16:56   #7

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Quote:
Thanks sparrowhawk1 for the reply. So would 2 100 watt panels give me 10 or 11 amps?
11.4 at the panels and I forgot some companies rate panels closed circuit but I found with the panels I've owned when I hook them directly to the battery they would produce at least the rating. my mppt controller definitely puts out a lot more maybe 25% more when my batteries are low. Which I try not to let happen too often. So I would start by putting an amp meter between your positive and negative of your solar panel, with them disconnected from your controller. just one word of caution never hook your solar panels up to a controller without it being connected to the battery first. Edit I just read the previous post and yes if you're in absorption your amperage is going to start dropping to keep it at the absorption voltage. Mine is set for 14.8 that's what Trojan recommends. [emoji106]billknny
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 16:58   #8

Thanks Bilknny. Are you familiar with the Victron 110/20 series? I have regular deep cycle lead acid batteries and I did not see them mentioned. Should I manually set it for bulk rate? The instruction book is not very informative.
Old 19-10-2018, 17:58   #9

Thanks guys, but what should I expect in ideal conditions? I would think more than 5.6 amps....right?
Old 19-10-2018, 18:38   #10
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

200W in decent conditions, maybe 75AH per day into the bank, assuming it is depleted.

Ideal conditions are rarer than blue moons.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 08:31   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

In full sun load the panels ( turn on lights and any other power hogs you have on the boat)
this will have the panels putting out to cover the loads . The other way to do the panel output test is to ensure you are charging a depleted battery when checking panel output.)
I usually turn on all the lights , the refer, and I have a Peltier plate cooler that draws right at 5 amps.
Old 20-10-2018, 08:59   #12

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Is it blinking fast, slow, or lit continuously?

Fast Blink = Bulk

Slow blink = Absorption

Lit = Float
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 09:00   #13

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Thanks Bilknny. Are you familiar with the Victron 110/20 series? I have regular deep cycle lead acid batteries and I did not see them mentioned. Should I manually set it for bulk rate? The instruction book is not very informative.
Go to the Victron Site for more info and you'll have to search around a bit after you get there
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 09:26   #14
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Full manuals there to dl
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 09:50   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

A good test of a solar panel system is that is should deliver close to its rated output under ideal conditions. Even in excess of the rated output in exceptional conditions could sometimes be seen.

The ideal conditions will come along infrequently, but if you cruise in a sunny climate you should be seeing peak production, at least briefly, at the rated output of your panels. This is a useful test that the components are performing as they should.

So you should be seeing 200w, or close to this, occasionally.

The high output will only occur when the batteries are depleted, or the loads are high enough. If you place a load on the house greater than the output of the panels as a test, it will show what the panels are capable of producing irrespective of the controllers state (bulk, absorption or float).
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar