Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2018, 07:55   #1

Sherwood Filters not fit for purpose

I bought two Sherwood water filters, Model 18005-SHW. The purpose was to filter water coming from the galley sink to catch any solid debris so that it did not get into the grey water tank. One filter was installed to do that and the other was intended to be installed to filter seawater being pumped through the water cooled fridge compressor.
What I have found is that these filters, which are marked "Not for use with alcohol" might just as well be marked not for use with water. The problem is that the opaque body of the filter is made from plastic (nylon?) which swells up in water! The screw on clear bowl is either acrylic or polycarbonate and does not swell. The result is that it becomes very difficult to unscrew the bowl to clear the filter, and absolutely impossible to screw it back on again because the body diameter has expanded by nearly 3mm and takes two days drying in the sun before it returns to its original diameter.

I tried contacting Sherwood via the contact page on their website. I had replies but nobody took any responsibility, finally referring me back to the same contact page I used originally. A product and a company to avoid. I bought them in Turkey, so there is no recourse to the seller, who now no longer stock them.

Any of our US readers who have contact with Sherwood please feel free to show them this.
Norman_E is offline   Reply With Quote