Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-08-2015, 00:04   #31

Re: SF is Unbelievably Lame!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I've noticed that it's (still) not easy for me to find stuff on Svendsen's shelves and then a lot of their supply (like bus bars and noise barrier material for the engine room) is in a warehouse across the way so you have to ask for it. They might also be out, but haven't restocked it from the warehouse. You can also try Coast and Industrial Supply on Jefferson Street, the only chandlery in SF that I'm aware of. They probably have the best price on flares with lots of other stuff there in the back for the salty fishermen types. I've also found Pagano's (their new, larger shop is awesome!) to be quite good. There's always Harbor Freight (don't groan, the purists among you) and an industrial plumbing supply place in SF that also has a lot of useful stuff. It does take time to find these gems, which is understandably frustrating for someone who's just passing through. First world problem
Thanks for spelling bus bar correctly.

Old 20-08-2015, 00:23   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I'm sure the 5 or 6 other rigging shops in the Bay area would not agree with you.
Butler rigging in berkely at Berkely marine.Also Whale point in Richmond is a great place.Run by an actual human and not a corporate entity.Prices are good.Coast Marine near aquatic park in SF used to be pretty good.I have not been there in awhile.

Old 20-08-2015, 06:48   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I have to confess that Harbor Freight is the store I frequent more than I probably should. For one reason or the other tools whether there expensive or cheap seem to fall in the water, or get rusty anyways. I'm going with the philosophy of if I'm going to lose them one way or the other, they might as well be cheap. And also allows me to have a better stock of tools on board then perhaps otherwise. Nothing worse than looking for that one wrench that you need and you don't have it because an oddball size.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Maybe you shouldn't be working on the boat after 5:00. You would have a better grip on your tools.

Obviously I don't object to cheap tools in some applications but some things just require the good stuff. Screwdrivers in particular but also sockets and wrenches I don't compromise. The cheap ones break, don't fit well and ream out the screw heads or round off the bolt heads. Just buy spares for the 3/8, 1/2 and 9/16 which seem to cover 90% of the nuts and bolts on my boat.

One cool tool I got at H F was a wire tracer. Don't use it every day but while rewiring the boat it saved me huge time. Instead of trying to track a wire in the middle of large bundle that feeds through lockers, behind bulkheads and under the floor just hook up a signal generator to one end of the wire and follow it with a hand held detector.
Old 20-08-2015, 08:41   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Maybe you shouldn't be working on the boat after 5:00. You would have a better grip on your tools.
It doesn't help that Harbor Freight is only about a mile from my condo in the Tampa area. Worse yet, I have to drive past it when I go grocery shopping.

But seeing that I won't be back there till December, and where I am now the closest grocery store is a 35 mile drive, that bad habit has temporary been put on hold.

Of course if I really get bad withdrawal shakes, I can always dash in to the Canadian Tire store that is just a block away from the grocery store in town.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-08-2015, 09:10   #35

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I left the Bay Area many years ago after a relatively short stay... Went back for a visit a few years ago and could not get out of town fast enough! I was driving a 65 foot Sea Ranger for a couple and needed some basic stuff like swivels(anchor), some replacement bulbs for running lights and a couple of other really basic items. Could not find anything in a West Marine store on the east shore and tried a couple of other shops to no avail.
Ended up canniblizing running light replacement bulbs from other fixtures aboard and left for San Diego where I found everything I needed in one stop on Shelter Island.
Besides the rudeness and poor service, the town has gone to sh*t in every other way as well! Dirty, rude people, homeless everywhere, sure glad I left 30 years ago!
Old 20-08-2015, 09:16   #36
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Even outside of this limited SF lake called the Bay, and SF sailing, SF as an area suks in general. It all around suks. Don't move here.
Old 20-08-2015, 09:30   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Even outside of this limited SF lake called the Bay, and SF sailing, SF as an area suks in general. It all around suks. Don't move here.
That's the spirit, Monkey! Really, NO ONE should EVER come here. It's too crowded, too dirty, liberals all over the place. Armageddon, I say! Why anyone would want to live or sail here is beyond me. Thousands of people regularly come down from Seattle on their way to Mexico and heap nothing but well-deserved blame on rotten service and lousy stock in stores. The weather is horrible - no f-ing rain in YEARS!!! Marine stores and boat repair yards are almost non-existent. fstbttms is right, 20,000 (or even 10,000 ) boats are falling apart before our very eyes because there is no proper service. sailorchic's boat is slowly disintegrating because she can't find the right pink high heat ultra paint for her engine. Rope? Don't get me started - all Home Depot has is that yellow plastic crap. LEDs? They haven't found their way to SF yet. Bottom paint? Only fstbttms knows where they keep it.

Oh, wait, I get it - we're "maintaining" our boats, not rebuilding them. Thank the stars for that, I have enough work maintaining my boat, I'd hate to have to rebuild it.

But when I do, I'll be sure to go to Seattle or San Diego.

And then post something saying what rotten places they are. Sure to garner a lot of helpful replies...

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 09:31   #38
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

come south. all the san fran stuff being shipped here.
i had it rerouted so i can find stuff....
it isnt hard to find stuff to use down here--- surprisingly easy, i am finding..and wood-- so many kinds of hard wood at such easy pricing...3 usd a board foot....
i am having a mizzen boom made for my boat....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 09:50   #39

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

It would appear the vastness of Fisheries Supply in Seattle and the relative concentration of marine services in San Diego have spoiled folks when it comes to the ease of finding the bits and pieces of marine hardware you need. You can chalk the difficulties in finding what you need in the immediate San Francisco Bay Area to a very gentle introduction of what you might expect should you find yourself in many, if not most, cruising areas. It can be quite frustrating, not to mention time consuming, hunting for what might not be there in the first place. Be thankful that you do have reliable methods of ordering on-line with a high degree of certainty that what you ordered will make it to your boat in a timely fashion. If real estate weren't so bloody high in the area, I suspect someone would have already opened a well stocked chandlery to address this obvious niche market. Too bad Svendsen's isn't kept better stocked.
Old 20-08-2015, 10:09   #40
cruiser

No SF just sukz. Entitled sukki libi-dibi's. TOo $$$$. Overcrowded and nuthing works. This is NOT a sailing town. Don't believe it. Don;t believe all those Whoel Food fok who think owning a boat on a lake and wearing a plastic capt hat from Amazon is sailin ha ha aha. Go NW. GO E. GO NE. Go SW. GO SE. They all work.

zeezee is sailin!
Old 20-08-2015, 10:21   #41

Boat: Hans Christian 33

We did a one year refit in Berkeley after living in tacoma before leaving for Mexico. As long as you have a shipping address you can use fisheriessupply.com ship free as long as its not hazmat if your over $100. $100 is not hard to do especially if you batch your orders together. If its hazmat do all your hazmat orders together and get charged the flat $35 fee. The free shipping takes 2 days to get the the bay area. Plus you are saving on sales tax. If you need a quick part bite the bullet and go to kkmi or Berkeley marine centers chandlery. Whale point in richmond is my favorite for a quick part and the prices are of this world. I would say the lamest part of SF bay is the dirty water that I get ear infections from when I try to go swimming in clipper cove.

Cheers,

Jon
Old 20-08-2015, 10:30   #42

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
No SF just sukz. Entitled sukki libi-dibi's. TOo $$$$. Overcrowded and nuthing works. This is NOT a sailing town. Don't believe it. Don;t believe all those Whoel Food fok who think owning a boat on a lake and wearing a plastic capt hat from Amazon is sailin ha ha aha. Go NW. GO E. GO NE. Go SW. GO SE. They all work.

zeezee is sailin!
What did you put in your coffee today

Completely agree with you tho. SF is only for the hardiest. There's no desire to make it too easy on too many people or else we'd look like LA. Climate change has already turned August into a super warm and sunny month. Ooops; no, that was not a political segue, but if it sux any less here, I'm going to have to move!
Old 20-08-2015, 10:36   #43
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Neely View Post
I would say the lamest part of SF bay is the dirty water that I get ear infections from when I try to go swimming in clipper cove.
21 years and 25,000 dives in the Bay Area. Have never had any problems, ear infections or otherwise.
Old 20-08-2015, 10:45   #44

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
21 years and 25,000 dives in the Bay Area. Have never had any problems, ear infections or otherwise.
you sir have ears or 316l steel, I guess mine or made more or zink.....

I don't know why it is but swimming in the bay generally results in ear pains for the next couple days. I now do a quick douche of hydrogen peroxide and all is well.
Do you suffer from surfer ear because of the cold water? I have a few avid divers down in Catalina on dive boats that have symptoms now that they have been diver for 20+ years.

Cheers,

Jon
Old 20-08-2015, 10:45   #45
cruiser

Quote:
What did you put in your coffee today
Sukki Starbukks.

Quote:
Completely agree with you tho. SF is only for the hardiest. There's no desire to make it too easy on too many people or else we'd look like LA. Climate change has already turned August into a super warm and sunny month. Ooops; no, that was not a political segue, but if it sux any less here, I'm going to have to move!
Sukki weather cauzes brush fire which almost burned down my apartment complex. That's OK. Housing shortages around here make renting impossible and $$$$$. Commute is 1.5 hours one way. Bart is always down which makes it closer to 2. Sukz u know. The unsukki people have all moved away. mexxiko

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: