Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2015, 14:36   #16
Moderator
 
sailorchic34's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: Islander 34
Posts: 4,815
Re: SF is Unbelievably Lame!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I'm sure the 5 or 6 other rigging shops in the Bay area would not agree with you.
I'm thinking from a DIY standpoint. KKMI also has a rigging shop. But I would get my Parts from Svendson. THere are riggers too, but poor sailor that I am, I don't go there.
__________________

__________________
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 16:05   #17
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: SF is Unbelievably Lame!!!!

Svendson's seems to be the main chandlery for the Bay Area, but it's so far to drive from the lower Delta and one has to pay that $5 troll (sp) fee at every north bound bridge crossing on the river.

Thanks Stu, but I got the last of what I need today at Svendsen's. I guess I'm spoiled from Seattle. But when I lived in San Diego back in the early 80's it was a builders cashe. I should do fine there, but the boat is nearly complete. The rest is all maintenance.
__________________

__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 16:07   #18
Registered User
 
gamayun's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Boat: Freedom 38
Posts: 1,231
Re: SF is Unbelievably Lame!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I'm surprised you couldn't find the West Epoxy 207 hardener. Every West Marine store I've been to, even the small ones, had all the epoxies on the shelf.

Regardless, I feel no sympathy. I live in Florida and have to drive two hours just to get to a West Marine or any kind of marine store at all. If they don't sell it at Home Depot or Ace Hardware I have to order it. The UPS guy knows me well. I've ordered so much from Defender they're going to put my photo up on the wall.

Even if you're having trouble getting boat stuff, SF is a very cool town. You could broke down in some third world rat hole looking for parts and not even have a nice place to go out to dinner.
I've noticed that it's (still) not easy for me to find stuff on Svendsen's shelves and then a lot of their supply (like bus bars and noise barrier material for the engine room) is in a warehouse across the way so you have to ask for it. They might also be out, but haven't restocked it from the warehouse. You can also try Coast and Industrial Supply on Jefferson Street, the only chandlery in SF that I'm aware of. They probably have the best price on flares with lots of other stuff there in the back for the salty fishermen types. I've also found Pagano's (their new, larger shop is awesome!) to be quite good. There's always Harbor Freight (don't groan, the purists among you) and an industrial plumbing supply place in SF that also has a lot of useful stuff. It does take time to find these gems, which is understandably frustrating for someone who's just passing through. First world problem
__________________
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 16:10   #19
Registered User
 
gamayun's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Boat: Freedom 38
Posts: 1,231
Re: SF is Unbelievably Lame!!!!

OHHH, you're in the Delta. Well, that's it then. You are out in the boonies
__________________
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 16:33   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nevada City. CA
Boat: Sceptre 41
Posts: 3,745
Images: 9
Re: SF is Unbelievably Lame!!!!

San Diego Marine Exchange and its hub of stores on Shelter Island is one of the best places I have found when you need to refit a boat. If they don't have it they will send you to a place that does or order it in for you. There is also that big West Marine superstore all within walking or biking distance. I have my boat in point Richmond and for the most part make a list of what I need and order it off of the internet although Whale Point has a pretty good supply of things.
__________________
Fair Winds,

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 16:37   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: So Cal
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 943
Re: SF is Unbelievably Lame!!!!

It's all part of the internet age. Products that don't move quickly/in quantity are not carried in stix and brix stores. Inventory costs money. Look at what Home Depot carries.

Here in SoCal, I've pretty much got a tiny west marine and what I get off the net. I'll order it if I can.
__________________
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 19:47   #22
Marine Service Provider
 
fstbttms's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Posts: 3,594
Re: SF is Unbelievably Lame!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
For rigging you have to go to Svendsons rigging shop across the lane from the store. Only place in town for rigging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I'm sure the 5 or 6 other rigging shops in the Bay area would not agree with you.
There are at least three other brick and mortar rigging shops in Alameda alone. Hell, one is even in the Alameda Marina, practically alongside Svendsen's rig shop.
__________________
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 19:58   #23
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 6,389
Re: SF is Unbelievably Lame!!!!

Sven died a few years ago.

Bean counters now there.

Too bad.

We all suffer.

But unless you have some really, really esoteric things to do, there's no way you can't find the materials.

Sorry, again, that you have.

Wish we could have helped earlier.
__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 20:08   #24
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: SF is Unbelievably Lame!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I'm surprised you couldn't find the West Epoxy 207 hardener. Every West Marine store I've been to, even the small ones, had all the epoxies on the shelf.

Regardless, I feel no sympathy. I live in Florida and have to drive two hours just to get to a West Marine or any kind of marine store at all. If they don't sell it at Home Depot or Ace Hardware I have to order it. The UPS guy knows me well. I've ordered so much from Defender they're going to put my photo up on the wall.

Even if you're having trouble getting boat stuff, SF is a very cool town. You could broke down in some third world rat hole looking for parts and not even have a nice place to go out to dinner.
Gee, you live in the middle of the State and complain?

Yeah, it sucks. The WM in Tarpon Springs may as well be a clothing store. They had ONE bow roller in stock, and pictures of the other two sizes they carry. Fortunately, it was the one I needed. Although there are lots of places on the Pinellas peninsula, so I shouldn't complain.
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 20:36   #25
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,387
Re: SF is Unbelievably Lame!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Gee, you live in the middle of the State and complain?

Yeah, it sucks. The WM in Tarpon Springs may as well be a clothing store. They had ONE bow roller in stock, and pictures of the other two sizes they carry. Fortunately, it was the one I needed. Although there are lots of places on the Pinellas peninsula, so I shouldn't complain.
Yes I know, it is my fault for picking the wrong place in FL to live. Almost the furthest you can be from salt water (in any direction) before you cross the GA line.

Most of the time it isn't too bad, especially if I plan ahead for the projects. But start a job and get to a place that needs something you can't get a hardware store, something as simple as a tube of caulk, then I'm shut down for a week until I can get some shipped in.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 20:45   #26
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,387
Re: SF is Unbelievably Lame!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I've noticed that it's (still) not easy for me to find stuff on Svendsen's shelves and then a lot of their supply (like bus bars and noise barrier material for the engine room) is in a warehouse across the way so you have to ask for it. They might also be out, but haven't restocked it from the warehouse. You can also try Coast and Industrial Supply on Jefferson Street, the only chandlery in SF that I'm aware of. They probably have the best price on flares with lots of other stuff there in the back for the salty fishermen types. I've also found Pagano's (their new, larger shop is awesome!) to be quite good. There's always Harbor Freight (don't groan, the purists among you) and an industrial plumbing supply place in SF that also has a lot of useful stuff. It does take time to find these gems, which is understandably frustrating for someone who's just passing through. First world problem
I have to confess I'm a bit surprised at some of the comments in this thread. Would have guessed that decent chandleries would be as common as Starbucks around the Bay.

I do confess to buying a few things at Harbor Freight. Found their latex gloves to be better grade and cheaper than Home Depot. If I need a special tool for one job and never again I buy a cheap one at H F and if it makes it through the one job that's all I need. Also got a set of cheap wood chisels that I use for pealing caulk, prying stuff and similar nasty jobs. Then I hide the good chisels so they still have an edge when I need them.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 21:15   #27
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: SF is Unbelievably Lame!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I have to confess I'm a bit surprised at some of the comments in this thread. Would have guessed that decent chandleries would be as common as Starbucks around the Bay.

I do confess to buying a few things at Harbor Freight. Found their latex gloves to be better grade and cheaper than Home Depot. If I need a special tool for one job and never again I buy a cheap one at H F and if it makes it through the one job that's all I need. Also got a set of cheap wood chisels that I use for pealing caulk, prying stuff and similar nasty jobs. Then I hide the good chisels so they still have an edge when I need them.
I have to confess that Harbor Freight is the store I frequent more than I probably should. For one reason or the other tools whether there expensive or cheap seem to fall in the water, or get rusty anyways. I'm going with the philosophy of if I'm going to lose them one way or the other, they might as well be cheap. And also allows me to have a better stock of tools on board then perhaps otherwise. Nothing worse than looking for that one wrench that you need and you don't have it because an oddball size.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 22:06   #28
Marine Service Provider
 
fstbttms's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Posts: 3,594
Re: SF is Unbelievably Lame!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I have to confess I'm a bit surprised at some of the comments in this thread. Would have guessed that decent chandleries would be as common as Starbucks around the Bay.
Yes, and yet somehow, the owners of the 20,000 boats that live in marinas around the Bay Area manage to (for the most part) to maintain their vessels.
__________________
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 22:14   #29
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: SF is Unbelievably Lame!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Yes, and yet somehow, the owners of the 20,000 boats that live in marinas around the Bay Area manage to (for the most part) to maintain their vessels.
Maintenance, yes! Construction/restoration difficult!

There are only 2 boat builders in the Bay Area, which are wooden boat building. And they will not sell wood products.
__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 00:02   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,243
Re: SF is Unbelievably Lame!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Yes, and yet somehow, the owners of the 20,000 boats that live in marinas around the Bay Area manage to (for the most part) to maintain their vessels.
Particularly surprising that he had to order 207 hardener, given that there are two very large West Marine stores in Alameda. (well the second is technically in Oakland, but still....)

Anyway, I think the OP is right... San Francisco IS lame. Alameda, on the other hand, is great.
__________________

__________________
Bristol 31.1, SF Bay.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ARC -- Fun? Or Lame? Dockhead Atlantic & the Caribbean 11 20-01-2014 11:45



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:42.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.