Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 10:24   #1

Sextant Review ?

I'm a young boy who has sailed every summer for as far back as I can remember. I'm the first person to enjoy sailing for as far back through my family tree as I can trace. We are more of a military family and I seem to be quite the odd one out. At this particular moment in time my father is stationed in Stuttgart Germany and its a real shame that I can't go sailing in this landlocked country. Last week I ordered a sextant from red Sky trader (or something) online through amazon and it just came in and it seems my mirrors aren't quite lined up at all. And my telescope doesn't seem to be lined up either. Any ideas? Comments? Anything would be useful thank you.
Joeviana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:00   #2

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: Sextant review?

I'm stationed in Germany now. Not a lot of sailing but where I'm at, there is a marina that has some smaller sailboats that sail in a small harbor along the river. I haven't seen them along the actual river, too much commercial barges, I think.
Good luck in finding your answer.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:05   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
It's good to have you here.
You didn't mention what kind of sextant you purchased but I'll give you a reference that explains how to adjust your mirrors and scope so you can sort it out.
See if your military library can get a copy of The American Practical Navigator by Bowditch. It has a chapter on sextant adjustment that will help you a great deal. The other option might be to see through a search on the internet for that particular book and see if you can get to the section 1610, 1611, 1612 which are pages 278, 279 and 280 of my copy.
I learned to sail on Chiemsee in Germany while I was stationed in Stuttgart but that's a very long drive. Also there is a small lake where sailing regattas are held in Stuttgart near what used to be called Robinson Barracks. I remember finding it while hiking and biking down the hill through the Garden Plots with my young daughter back in the early 70s. See if you can locate that lake on a map of Stuttgart (maybe a mapquest of google search).
Good luck.
kind regards,
Old 07-11-2011, 11:15   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Welcome to the forum, Joeviana.

Chances are good that if you let us know what model sextant you've purchased, there's someone on this forum with expertise with that particular instrument. As a general rule, the better the information someone on this forum puts into a question, the better the information they will get in the answer.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:38   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeviana View Post
I'm a young boy who has sailed every summer for as far back as I can remember. I'm the first person to enjoy sailing for as far back through my family tree as I can trace. We are more of a military family and I seem to be quite the odd one out. At this particular moment in time my father is stationed in Stuttgart Germany and its a real shame that I can't go sailing in this landlocked country. Last week I ordered a sextant from red Sky trader (or something) online through amazon and it just came in and it seems my mirrors aren't quite lined up at all. And my telescope doesn't seem to be lined up either. Any ideas? Comments? Anything would be useful thank you.
Most any book on astro navigation will tell you how to check and adjust some of sextant elements. If you are very careful in following the instructions, you can remove most of the errors/problems.

A pity you cannot sail there. Maybe there is a lake or a river where you could sail a dinghy? I stared sailing on a dinghy and loved it. I still love it!

BTW In the winter, if there is a lake, they may have ice-boats there. Try it out, I bet you will love the speed and the adrenaline.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:56   #6

Thank you all or input I actually was a little worried so I went and checked the order and they had sent me the wrong sextant and the reason it didn't work is it was a simple display sextant. So I am sending it back and getting the one I ordered the first time (hopefully) and thank you all very much yes it is a shame and there are a few places I can sail a dingy which I love, but I just feel confined by being in a lake without to many waves or anything and I long to be out on the ocean again. But thanks all.
Joeviana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 13:05   #7

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Welcome to CF, Joeviana.
You can download "The American Practical Navigator" for free from there: Maritime Safety Information

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 05:48   #8
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432
Re: Sextant Review ?

Regarding sextants: The Davis models are good for learning and cheap. I have a Cassens and Plath which is unbelievably sweet. Very clear optics and easy to use - second to none in my opinion. I also have a Tamaya which is disappointing compared to my C and P. I am getting ready to send it in for service as it just isn't very clear through the index mirror with a 7 x 35 telescope. Both illuminate well. The C and P is just top notch throughout.
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews, sextant