Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2016, 23:08   #1

Boat: Leopard 48
SD60

anyone out there had issues with Yanmar's SD60, prop shaft worn in under 500 hrs
Boof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 02:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: SD60

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Boof.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 07:27   #3

I am at 400 on both (catamaran) with no issues yet. Can you share more on what is happening?
rtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 07:37   #4

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I'm at about 500 hours and no problems (yet?). Please provide more details.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 17:05   #5

the engines are both at around the 520 hrs, 440 of which was in the delivery. both sail drives had to have the shaft seals replaced and one shaft has had to be sleeved, the other is showing signs of wear but not to the extent it needed repairing.
Old 24-10-2016, 18:30   #6

That's disappointing. I was hoping the SD60 would be more reliable than the SD50. What RPM do you typically run at and what type is boat?
rtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 19:02   #7

Boat: Lagoon 450

1150hrs on both our SD60's and they've been champs. Changed the prop shaft seals last month and no signs of any wear.

Have you photos of the worn shaft?
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 21:26   #8

The engines have never been run above 2000rpm as the yanmar as the 4JH57 engine were overheating above 2000rpm, which has now been rectified.

no pictures of the shaft, the repairer just rang me and a stainless sleeve was put on.
Old 24-10-2016, 21:27   #9

The boat is a leopard 48
Old 24-10-2016, 22:04   #10

Boat: currently boatless

Hello all,
I was going to post at a later date but as a thread has been started on the SD 60 I will add what we have been experiencing recently and what I have placed on another forum. Just for those that are not aware the SD 60 has plate clutches not cones as per the SD 50.
" Hello everyone, Just some information sharing. We had new Yanmar 40 HP motors and new Yanmar SD 60 saildrives fitted to Sunshine last June (2015) We are just starting to experience some issues with the sail drives. We have just turned over 400 hrs on each motor and then we started to experience a time lag between putting the gear from forward to reverse. It would be 2 to 3 seconds or more before the gear would engage. This then occured when we went to put the motor back to forward gear.
There is a technical bulletin that was sent out to Yanmar dealers in July 2015 advising of a very similar situation to one we are experiencing at the moment. It is worth researching foe Yanmar technical bulletin YATB2015-010-M SD60. Definatley worth a read if you have SD 60 sail drives. "
We had a whoops moment coming into a marina pen when the motor would not go into gear at a critical time and we bumped the pen. Luckily no damage.
Since posting the above and having one scary moment we had the saildrives examined by a Yanmar licenced mechanic who carried the mods as per the technical note but the fault would not repeat itself and we hoped this had solved the issue.
Unfortunately the fault returned within a couple of days. We are currenltly sitting on the hard on the Gold Coast in Australia. The local Yanma dealer/mechanic has inspected the saildrives and also done a examination and found that gear lever tolerance that is required between the gear lever and gear cable is way out and cannot be compensated by any adjustment. Our sail drive have sequential serial numbers so I believe they came off the assembly line one after the other.
The previous mechanic had reported the problem as a warranty issue and this has been accepted by Yanmar. I recieved a phone call from Yanmar head office service manager who advised that I was not the only person experiencing the issue here in Austalia. I was advised that a "fix" had been identified but parts were required to come from Amsterdam and would take a week or two to arrive.
To undertake the repair the motors have to be disconnectd from the engine mounts and slid forward prior gaining access to the saildrive gearbox. This can be undertaken on the hard or on the water and should be done in a day or two of reciept of the spare parts.
Its definately inconvenient as we are trying to make our way south to home but the people from Yanmar have been very helpful and keeping us informed as things progress.
When coming out of the water we had our worst experience yet and nearly collided with some seriously expensive boats when the SD 60's failed to engage in gear at a crucial time while manouvering.
I will update on CF as things progress.

Greg H
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 15:51   #11

Hello all,
just an update on whats occurring with the warranty work on our Yanmar 60 sail drives. Due to the delay we were forced to fly home to meet scheduled medical appintments which could not be delayed. The boat was left on a wet berth at the marina where the work is being carried out.
Its now been five weeks since we reported the issue to the local Yanmar Mechanic. We recieved good news last week that the parts we had been waiting for had finally arrived and arrangements were being made for the mechanic to do the work.
I have not heard anythng since and sent off an email today to get an update as we will need to arrange flights and crew to return the boat to her home port. Instead of a nice leirsurely trip down the coast to home we will now be doing a straight run home.
Yesterday I spoke with another catamaran owner who had SD 60's only installed four weeks ago and is already experiencing the same issues. I am hoping for him it is only a case of the gear cables not being adjusted correctly.

Greg H
SV Sunshine
Old 03-01-2017, 23:46   #12

Hello all,
I thought I would just do an update on the upgrade to our Yanmar SD 60 sail drives. Ulitmately the work was completed under warranty at Boatworks at Coomera on the Gold Coast in Queensland Australia. While the work took far longer than we expected (or wanted) it was completed late November 2016. It was explained to me that a new upgraded "fix" was required with the dealy partly due to the parts being shipped from overseas.
Both clutch units in each saildrive were totally replaced. I was informed by the mechanic that the new mechinism to engage the clutch (internal) has been made longer to engage the clutch more positively. Three days after the completioin of the work we left Boatworks to head back to our home port of Lake Macquarie. Since that time we have not experienced any issues and my confidence in the saildrives has returned. Time will tell how they perform.
Since having the work completed I have now spoken to two other catamaran owners who had new SD 60 saildrives fitted and are having the same issue for being a month to having 300 odd hours of use.

Greg H
Old 23-03-2021, 18:34   #13

Hi Ozsailer, we have experienced the same issue on our SD60's. We're about to haul out at boatworks next month. Can I ask who did yo9u go through for your mechanical? Cheers, Matt.
mattykb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 03:06   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Matt.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 11:54   #15

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

mattykb, This is a known issue with early SD60s and also the subject of another thread. Mine were purchased in summer of 2015 and failed in august of 2017. The saildrives were repaired under a program to deal with these early releases of the SD60. In my case the units were 2 months out of warranty and they still repaired them. My understanding is that the repair process varies from country to country. In the US Yanmar chose to send out re-manufactured upper units and completed the repairs at a central facility. Other countries decided to send parts and complete the whole process in the field. The issue is known as the "Ramp Angle Problem". Apparently the part that locks the clutches was ground at the wrong angle in some units and did not completely engage the clutches causing slippage and premature failure of the clutch disks. Yanmar actually paid for my haulout and all labor associated with the repair here in the US. Nothing sold after summer of 2017 should have the issue.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote