Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2006, 11:10   #1

SailNet spam

I enjoyed SailNet.com when it first was starting up. But I dropped out of the community fairly early on, years ago. I'm still getting spammed.

I keep responding to their "click here to unsubscribe from our spam crap list". About a half-dozen times now, I think. I think they reuse their list every year, even though most of the addresses on it must be dead. Or maybe they only restart the people who have responded with the "leave me the fook alone."

Whatever the case, today's attempt to unsubscribe had a clear violation of both the anti-spam laws and any sense of ethics. When I made the annual e-mail response to the listserv requesting an *automated* removal, the listserv responded with a confirmation request, using a mail server which is blacklisted. (That means many mail clients will automatically discard the confirmation request, and so they won't be removed from the spam list.)

I'm generally very forgiving, giving the benefit of the doubt wherever possible, but SailNet has just passed my personal measures into the pariahic class. I support sailing-related industries and sites, but I would encourage everyone who asked to avoid SailNet as potentially dangerous to their personal privacy, and certainly both unethical and uncivil as a business. They're spammers.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2006, 11:29   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Having a mail server blacklisted is a pretty easy thing to do these days. Getting them off blacklists is getting tougher and tougher.

No doubt though they should be as diligent in sorting out an unsubscribe request as they are getting you on as many of their lists as they can.

I wonder if the number of times it has changed hands has anything to do with the issues.

I really love the ones that will subscribe you instantly but if you ask to be removed say it could take several business days. This isn't rocket science.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2006, 12:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Having a mail server blacklisted is a pretty easy thing to do these days. Getting them off blacklists is getting tougher and tougher.
Right. But the server they used to send the original spam wasn't blacklisted.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 10:22   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Sailnet, when the Boyles had it, was not only a great site, but a damn good place to purchase gear. Since they sold it, and then the subsequent bankruptcy, the new NEW owners have attempted to take it back to it's humble origins. In MY opinion it isn't working. I've gone through and viewed their offerings and haven't found anything that I wanted to purchase, that was significantly lower in price, than I can purchase locally. It is a shame.

On the "spam" issue - well, I'm on their list - I get something from them about once a month, and every so often someone on one of the lists that I'm on says something and I get the email. The spam guard on my email allows me to channel addresses to where ever I want, where I can do a wholesale delete really easy. They have an 800 number ... have you tried calling them? ::shrug::: I think that I'll go have a look at Defender - at least they have a few good deals left.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote