Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2015, 06:16   #1

Boat: Morgan, 30-1
Sailing Knife or Multi-Tool

I always carry a pocket knife but my wife wants to buy me a sailing knife for my birthday. I'd love some recommendations.

Is a multi-tool more useful than a sailing knife?
allanbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Sailing Knife or Multi-Tool

Although I do carry a mini-multi-tool (as a landlubber), I find that they don’t do any of their many functions very well. I'd opt for a quality rigging knife.

Some knife reviews:
Sailing knives
robots= author=
Safety in Hand | Sailing World

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:40   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I have been carrying this Riggers with Marlin Spike | Ceramic Knife.org for over a year, it has quickly become my favorite knife ever. The ceramic blade stays sharp, and the Marlin spike solves the major weakness of ceramic knives, that you can't use them to pry at anything. It is also incredibly well made.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:04   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Find a model of Spyderco that you really like, & then have her get you two. Plus a real Marlingspike, with a shackle key (AKA slot) built into it's handle.
Then make yourself a lanyard for the knife, a sheath for the spike, & strap both onto the waist belt of your inflatble PFD.

I hate to be a wet blanket about the ceramic knife idea but;
- What happens when, not if, you drop it?
- Brion Toss & Co. were quite impressed when my carbon steel knife out cut their oh so fragile ceramic, by 3-4:1, over the course of 3 days of non stop splicing (sans re-sharpening).
It cost me $20, & cut every exotic line we spliced like butter, as compared to the ceramic. Which needed 2 minutes of sawing back & forth on a line laid atop a special cutting station for each cut. Quite literally.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:33   #5

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I carry both, as well as a flashlight. It's not like they're big and bulky. And having a sharp blade, instantly, with one hand, beats having to open a folder while hanging on to the boat.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:35   #6

Have one of these: Amazon.com : Spyderco Atlantic Salt Rust Free Serrated Edge Knife, Yellow : Hunting Folding Knives : Sports & Outdoors

Love it!

But I also carry a Gerber multi-tool.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:38   #7
cruiser

We have several Cutco outdoorsman Drop Point Hunting knives onboard with the saw type blades. Super sharp sheath knives that will cut through lines in an instant. Buy the ones with the bright orange handle.

Important to be able to deploy the knife with one hand... when your other hand is stuck or grasping onto something. The Cutco K-Bar is also nice and doubles as a weapon.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:50   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
. . .And having a sharp blade, instantly, with one hand, beats having to open a folder while hanging on to the boat.
Ditto. I have both folding and straight rigging knives from Myerchin (presents from my father). The folding one goes in your pocket, but when you really need a knife NOW, a folded knife, buried in your pocket, is not the thing.

It seems like a PITA to wear a sheath, but you get used to it.

Now if I were only better about sharpening it regularly . . .
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:59   #9

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I have a scuba knife fastened to the underside of the dodger. Most dive knives are designed specifically to cut through lines in emergency situations and are all designed for salt water. Too bulky to wear all the time but perfect for a cockpit knife.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:10   #10

Boat: Hunter 33.6

I carry a Spyderco H1 for over 20 years. It will cut through 3/4" line in one try. But keep in sharp.I have cut two people free in those 20 years.
Captain Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:27   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I had carried a marlin spike knife for years. Found a Gerber multie tool to be far more practical.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:29   #12

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

When I am working on the boat, I have a limited run (for WM) SOG multi-tool on my belt (includes a marlinspike) that I use the pliers on constantly, and the marlinspike occasionally. I also always carry an Opinel Inox [/URL]" for everything: cardboard, plastic, small lines, apples, chicken & steak. I try not to use it for glue or goo. It folds, locks shut and open, and while I expected it to feel bulky in the pocket I hardly notice it. I wipe it off or wash it from time to time. I have a dive knife on my inflatable. I like the idea of a dive knife in the cockpit, I'm going to do that. The rest are in a drawer.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:34   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

When I went south to Annapolis to buy a Hunter Legend, I took a toolbox full of tools, and an SOG multitool (which can be opened with one hand). I fully decommissioned the boat and prepped for trucking, using only the SOG. The toolbox never left the car. The seller had a Leatherman multitool that took two hands to open...it was useless.

When I bought a boat in Toronto, and sailed it home, I brought lots of canned foods for the trip...but forgot a can opener. Luckily, I had a cheap canadian tire multitool (it was a free gift with purchase) that had a manual, old style can opener on it. Saved my supper!

Having said that, my preference is for a rigging knife with blade, spike, and that little thing for grabbing shackle pins to open tight shackles. Stainless steel with a nice lanyard you make yourself.

The marlin spike will come in handy in case of a zombie apocalypse.

I don't usually like to carry a knife, so I located knives around the boat, where they might be needed. Also, I don't bring any sharp knives in my cutlery drawer...if you want to cut carrots or slice a steak you've got to pull out your pocket knife. Sure, you can wipe it on your pants first. And after.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:50   #14

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

I have a decent SS hunting knife in a leather sheath strapped to the base of both masts.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:35   #15

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

My favorite (because my daughter got it for me in Italy) is a locking folding FOX knife with belt sheath. The single blade is serrated near the handle and straight edge toward the tip. I've also had good luck with a (small) Leatherman Juice Tool which has both straight and serrated blades as well as pliers, awl and scissors... and a (larger) Buck Tool. Last but not least, I buy myself and family members the amazingly handy 2 1/4" Victorinox as a stocking stuffer every few years... It's always in my pocket.

Tags
sailing, sail