Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2015, 16:36   #31

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Sailing Knife or Multi-Tool

Guys, if/when you're looking for knives, this place usually has real good prices.
www.KnifeCenter.com
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 16:39   #32

Boat: Ranger 33'

The bottom line is, every knife gets dull, do you know how to sharpen the knife? The point, is whether you want a glass blade or a metal blade. No tool does all of our jobs, nice to have a good sharp blade that will stand by to do all blade type duties. That is what is on my belt.
roygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 18:12   #33

Boat: Beneteau 393

We have a several different knives and multitools on the boat (Gerber, Leatherman, Victorinox, Navy Bosun knife, etc). The one I carry on my person when offshore is the Buck Bones, tethered to me just in case:

Bones™ Knife - Buck® Knives OFFICIAL SITE

I like it a lot, light, simple action, part-serrated, and fun.
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 00:00   #34

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I have been carrying this Riggers with Marlin Spike | Ceramic Knife.org for over a year, it has quickly become my favorite knife ever. The ceramic blade stays sharp, and the Marlin spike solves the major weakness of ceramic knives, that you can't use them to pry at anything. It is also incredibly well made.
This is what I carry - on a lanyard. It goes with me everywhere. We also have two SS fishing knives on the boat - one on the vang and one by the helm. I sharpen these regualrly and wipe them down with winch grease - no rust problems - they cost abot 5 bucks each so if they do go bad - toss 'em and buy another.

I also carry an small LED flashlight when night sailing and we have an LED headlight in the cockpit bag by the helm.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:37   #35

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I know for sure I'll never buy another Leatherman product. Three of them failed in one year.
This is interesting.
I am using Leatherman tools for over 20 years. Have about 5 units at any given time.
There were units that failed - 2 that I remember).
Both failed units were replaced at no cost by a local dealer, no questions asked, even though the units were well used and several years old.
So, my experience being different than yours, I will happily continue to use and purchase their products.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:52   #36

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanbranch View Post
Is a multi-tool more useful than a sailing knife?

In my experience, I'd say "differently" useful instead of "more" useful.

Pliers are useful, but that doesn't solve the screwdriver. Lot's o 'tools are great, but getting the blade (or any other) out one-handed is often impossible.

So...

I've found the best combination -- for me -- is cargo shorts with a honkin' big Swiss Army knife on the belt, a Leatherman in the knife pocket, and a real knife -- either straight blade on a belt or a folder clipped inside a pocket.

Sometimes I think I can do about 90% of my boat maintenance with a combination of only the Swiss and the Leatherman; an exaggeration, of course, but at least they often save rummaging in one of the tool boxes.

It's a bit more hardware to tote, but after 40 years or so... I'm used to it.

-Chris
Old 05-11-2015, 05:50   #37

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
This is interesting.
I am using Leatherman tools for over 20 years. Have about 5 units at any given time.
There were units that failed - 2 that I remember).
Both failed units were replaced at no cost by a local dealer, no questions asked, even though the units were well used and several years old.
So, my experience being different than yours, I will happily continue to use and purchase their products.
I have a leatherman, one of their very early models. I don't use it much because the blades do not lock in an open position. I almost cut my fingers off once when the knife blade closed when I appplied a lot of pressure.

I have it on the boat - but it is in my toolbox somewhere.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:13   #38

Boat: Endeavour 43

I love my SOG PowerAssist. Both straight and serrated blades are instantly accessible without opening the tool, all tools lock into position and are replaceable/interchangeable, the pliers work great, and everything just plain works.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:17   #39

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I cannot live without a knife, I carry one every day. I have become dependent upon a knife- I cannot cut tape, open boxes, remove clothing threads, cut coupons, or any such thing without a knife. Without a knife they would find my staved skeleton holding a box of food.

As such, I have knives everywhere.

I keep a Myerchin rigging knife Myerchin Folding Rigging Knife Lightknife Sierra 2-1/2" Serrated Blade and Red LED Light - KnifeCenter - MCLH377Son a lanyard. I like it because it has a light, and I do sail/ work on the boat at night. It also has a belt clip so I can find it readily rather than searching pockets. I don't carry it regularly, I clip it on when I'm going to be rig work, such as during races, and beginning and end of season.

For my everyday knife I carry a Kershaw Scallion Shop Kershaw A/O Scallion Framelock Knife it has a belt clip, and is spring assisted so I can open with one hand. It has both straight and serrated, which makes it very versatile. It's the third one in 20 years after wearing out the other two.

In the cockpit I have an old, cheap medium size Gerber lockblade with a quick disconnect lanyard. Sadly, they don't make it anymore. It's bigger than my Kershaw so more capable for bigger jobs such as cutting a sheet. And since it's always on the binnacle, and easily disconnected, it has come in very handy. I don't know what I'll replace it with when it's dead, as there is nothing on the market as handy.

No matter what you get, make sure it LOCKs. I like liner lockers because they can be opened and closed with one hand.

Remember, a sailing/ rigging knife is a tool, not a showpiece. That means it should be used, and there is a good chance you will break or lose it overboard. That's life- and that is what they are for. So make sure she gets you something you WILL carry, and you will use.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:40   #40

Knifes are tools, all have specific purposes, anything that fits all will not be good at any one thing! If you plan to keep it long term you will need to sharpen it, have you ever sharpened a serrated blade? The factory angle will be good for awhile but once dull it will be difficult and time consuming to duplicate at that point you will need to put YOUR edge on it once that is achieved only a few passes over the stone will give you that razor edge again, part of owning a good knife is a good stone.Another thread could be started on sharpening
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing, sail