Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-09-2013, 11:23   #1

RYA Day Skipper Distance Learning

Greetings from the United States. I am a relatively novice sailor. I have my "competent crew" and I want to get my Day Skipper certification. I recently had an injury which is going to put me in an orthopedic boot for several months so I thought I would use the time to do one of the RYA Day Skipper theory classes by distance learning, either on-line, cd-rom, book, etc. and go to a center to take the test when I'm fully mobile again. does anybody have any experience with these course and can tell me what experiences you have had with them (good, bad or indifferent) as well as any recommended vendors. Thanks.

Marlo

Old 29-09-2013, 12:12   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS
Hi, I did my day skipper classroom based and my yacht master ( same stuff but more detailed ) online.
I was a complete novice at the time of the day skipper and I think I would have really struggled with the new concepts if alone without a teacher to hand... I was lucky in that I had an excellent teacher! If you have a basic understanding of navigation then you should do fine. A grip of tides, ep's, course to steer etc etc...
Once I had this I enjoyed the yacht master course online. I believe I would have got more from it in a class room but it was a lot cheaper and more convenient for time and it builds in a natural progression on what you already know.

Hope that helps!

Old 29-09-2013, 12:14   #3

Re: RYA Day Skipper Distance Learning

Thanks. What company/school did you use?
Old 29-09-2013, 14:44   #4
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Why would you bother with the theory only courses. The process is only useful if you do the actual practical exams.

Why not just get a book on navigation

This particularly applies to the YM theory course which in my opinion is mis-named as it does not in any way prepare for a YM

Taught courses have a benefit if you have access to a tutor who can take you through the process. Without that it leaves a lot to be desired

Dave
Old 29-09-2013, 15:27   #5

I actually have to do both eventually to get the day skipper certification. Usually, most school do a two week class with the first week in the classroom with the second on the boat.

As I indicated, I have an injury which keeps me from actually sailing for the foreseeable future and I was hoping to use the chair time wisely. I was thinking I could study with one of the interactive courses (some have real world support), and then go take the theory test right before the practical part of the day skipper course early next year. I already have a competent crew certificate and this is what it takes to do the next level. I am looking for someone who has experience with one of these courses and can tell me what works and wheat doesn't.

The course is actually much broader than just navigation.
Old 29-09-2013, 15:49   #6
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlojill View Post
I actually have to do both eventually to get the day skipper certification. Usually, most school do a two week class with the first week in the classroom with the second on the boat.

As I indicated, I have an injury which keeps me from actually sailing for the foreseeable future and I was hoping to use the chair time wisely. I was thinking I could study with one of the interactive courses (some have real world support), and then go take the theory test right before the practical part of the day skipper course early next year. I already have a competent crew certificate and this is what it takes to do the next level. I am looking for someone who has experience with one of these courses and can tell me what works and wheat doesn't.

The course is actually much broader than just navigation.
As an ex-instructor and I used to teach the YM shorebased. I'd put far more cred in doing the RYA day skipper as a complete practical course. Usually 5 days on board covering both theory and practical. Its a great ticket, probably the best of the bunch.

Not knocking what you propose , there are several UK based on line setups , first sail and sail train come to mind. Plus many others. Ensure you pick an accredited RYA course provider ( check the RYA site )

Ps I would skip the day skipper one and go straight to the coastal skipper/ YM shorebased one. Its not that much different and covers the subject(s) a bit more

Dave
Old 29-09-2013, 22:18   #7

Sorry Dave but you are not correct. The RYA Day Skipper course takes 10 days and is usually split with 5 days classroom and 5 days practical.
I dare say someone somewhere has condensed this a bit but that is the RYA syllabus. The YM theory builds on the Day Skipper but without this part of theory well learned it would be very difficult for a novice to understand.
When you say you can't understand why anyone would want to do the theory I wonder what you mean? I spent a full 5 days in a classroom learning navigation along with basic weather, VHF, safety and a bunch of other things which have all proved essential. The RYA course is excellent, well structured, relevant and in my case hugely worthwhile.
Old 29-09-2013, 23:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thames 4 Blood View Post
Sorry Dave but you are not correct. The RYA Day Skipper course takes 10 days and is usually split with 5 days classroom and 5 days practical.
The R.Y.A. Dayskipper is divided into 2 parts. The theory course and the practical course. Both of these courses are run over 5 days or 3 weekends. You do not need to have done the theory course to do the practical. However, in my experience (5 years as a Y.M.I. and now running my own charter/sailing school) doing the practical without having done any theory is extremely difficult.
The problem is we spend half our time teaching the basics ( course to steer, heights of tide, collision regs etc.) which gives less time to do the actual practical part of the syllabus.
Chris
Old 30-09-2013, 03:05   #9
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I dare say someone somewhere has condensed this a bit but that is the RYA syllabus. The YM theory builds on the Day Skipper but without this part of theory well learned it would be very difficult for a novice to understand.
When you say you can't understand why anyone would want to do the theory I wonder what you mean? I spent a full 5 days in a classroom learning navigation along with basic weather, VHF, safety and a bunch of other things which have all proved essential. The RYA course is excellent, well structured, relevant and in my case hugely worthwhile.
Sheesh http://www.rya.org.uk/coursestrainin...ayskipper.aspx

Read the minimum course duration. Day skipper is regularly done in 5 days flat. Yes it's challenging but can quite easily be done ( I did it that way , years ago. ) there certainly isn't 5+ 5 in it )

On water learning is always better.

YM shore based is better done then day skipper shore based. It covers the subject better, yet it designed for the neophyte

It's important to remember that YM shore based courses are not good prep for YM exams. The topics are different.

Ym tends to used ( abused) in the RYA as a marketing term.

The reason you get separate shore based classes in partially to give RYA schools a revenue as very few attendees of shore based go on to do the real practical exam I've even taught YM shore based to people that didnt even sail And want to while away a few winter evenings

The best learning is theory and direct application on the boat immediately.

Again the YM shore based course does not assume any prerequisites and its a better theory course then the day skipper.

If you want to use your time for study that's a better course and will give you enough theory to last u a lifetime

There's an awful lot of politics behind course segregation and naming !

Dave
Old 30-09-2013, 04:05   #10
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just in case some think Im arguing against theory courses. no I'm not.

Merely that I would recommend One theory course like the RYA YM shore based theory course ( which should really be called The RYA theory course) . This theory course will provide sufficient coverage of the theory for any RYA practical course certificate. Of course the theory on its own isbt sufficient.

Then having the theory done , you can choose the appropriate practical course/ exam that's suits your experience level. There is no need to assume that you must " progress" up the course chain . Experience is your progression

The Op could then decide that say coastal skipper is a better fit for his experience levels or jump to YM directly if so inclined

Dave
Old 30-09-2013, 23:38   #11

All I can say is that during my RYA YM course I did the full 10 days of theory, obviously in conjunction with the relevant practical courses.
I did them according to the RYA recommended syllabus of comp crew, day skipper theory, day skipper practical, YM theory alongside further practical training and mile building.
As a complete novice at the beginning of the syllabus I found every aspect of the training relevant, useful, interesting and valuable.

I hope that is of some help to the OP.
Old 30-09-2013, 23:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlojill View Post
Greetings from the United States. I am a relatively novice sailor. I have my "competent crew" and I want to get my Day Skipper certification. I recently had an injury which is going to put me in an orthopedic boot for several months so I thought I would use the time to do one of the RYA Day Skipper theory classes by distance learning, either on-line, cd-rom, book, etc. and go to a center to take the test when I'm fully mobile again. does anybody have any experience with these course and can tell me what experiences you have had with them (good, bad or indifferent) as well as any recommended vendors. Thanks.

Marlo
If you're in the United States I don't quite get why you wouldn't take the ASA courses. At least the buoyage will be the right way around. (important!)
Old 01-10-2013, 08:01   #13
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
All I can say is that during my RYA YM course I did the full 10 days of theory, obviously in conjunction with the relevant practical courses.
I did them according to the RYA recommended syllabus of comp crew, day skipper theory, day skipper practical, YM theory alongside further practical training and mile building.
As a complete novice at the beginning of the syllabus I found every aspect of the training relevant, useful, interesting and valuable.

I hope that is of some help to the OP.
There's no specific YM theory course. Even the one called " YM theory " is not the theory needed for the YM exam. Be very careful about RYA nomenclature , there's history to it.

If you like a good theory course then do the YM shore based navigation course. This can be done ( and frequently is) by complete newbies. It covers basic chart work , CTS , tides , secondary ports , safety , wind and weather forecasting , colregs , etc.

This is often done as evening classes over 14-16 evenings. Or as a distance learning module. There is excellent books and notes , typical exam questions etc available from the RYA.

This course is easily done by any sane person , with an interest and the 3Rs .

Then if you wish you can focus on the practical exams, which actually get you the relevant qualification , be that a one week practical day skipper , or the coastal or YM exams . A prep week is useful for the last two. ( no syllabus).

Simply doing theory for each step is unnecessary and duplicates work. Furthermore bear in mind that the shore based courses do not provide a direct theory syllabus for the YM exam , which is why a prep week is very useful immediately before the exam if possible.

Nor would I recommend simple progression of practical courses. Its not structured like ASA. I'd tend to recommend Day skipper then YM offshore. ( coastal is 80% so yiu might as well build the miles and do the YM)

Dave
Old 05-02-2015, 11:10   #14

Because the ASA courses don't allow you to get the ICC, which is required to charter in Europe and most anywhere else. If you want to get the ICC, you must do the RYA. That's why. : )
Old 05-02-2015, 11:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwareham View Post
Because the ASA courses don't allow you to get the ICC, which is required to charter in Europe and most anywhere else. If you want to get the ICC, you must do the RYA. That's why. : )

The ASA has a different opinion...

International Proficiency Certificate - American Sailing Association

Tags
learning, skipper

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: