Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2016, 06:42   #1

Boat: Beneteau OC 41
Rope Hot Knife & Fabric Finisher

Any favorites for rope burners/fabric edge finishing tools in the under-$150 price range?
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:49   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Rope Hot Knife & Fabric Finisher

Rope cutter get a Weller 200W soldering gun and a rope cutting tip Probably $60-$70. I assume it would also work with fabric.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:36   #3

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I have a Sailrite model. Works great and has a good case. Came with a both a regular arc-shaped cutter and a "raised" on for cutting fabric without burning the surface underneath. Haven't tried that part yet.

You could also try: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...knife&_sacat=0

I buy a lot of stuff on ebay and have had excellent experiences.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:38   #4

Boat: Bristol 29.9

I also have the Sailrite model and love it. They have 10% off sales periodically.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:57   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

With two recommendations I had to look at the Sailrite Edge. Other than a different shaped handle how is this different from a plain old soldering gun? The cutting tip looks almost identical to the tip on the Weller soldering gun, with perhaps a slightly different curve to it.

Specs say it's only 60 Watts. For half the price you can buy the Weller dual power, 200 Watt soldering gun kit that comes with a rope/fabric cutting tip. If you like the Sailrite cutting tip better it looks like it would fit the Weller and is available from Sailrite for $19.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:38   #6

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
With two recommendations I had to look at the Sailrite Edge. Other than a different shaped handle how is this different from a plain old soldering gun? The cutting tip looks almost identical to the tip on the Weller soldering gun, with perhaps a slightly different curve to it.

Specs say it's only 60 Watts. For half the price you can buy the Weller dual power, 200 Watt soldering gun kit that comes with a rope/fabric cutting tip. If you like the Sailrite cutting tip better it looks like it would fit the Weller and is available from Sailrite for $19.
The soldering gun may be the better deal IDK. My experience with the Sailrite is that it heats up very fast and cuts through rope like butter in just a few seconds. It comes with a case and the fabric cutter attachment. I almost never solder, and have a small soldering pencil for when I do for something small and a small butane torch for anything heavier duty. The Weller is obviously a lot less money.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:50   #7

A Weller trigger type soldering iron with the hot knife blade is great. Here's the cheaper version: http://www.handsontools.com/Weller-T...pwKhoCKvnw_wcB

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:33   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
The soldering gun may be the better deal IDK. My experience with the Sailrite is that it heats up very fast and cuts through rope like butter in just a few seconds.
I have the Weller for bigger jobs that take a lot of hear. To be honest, I haven't even tried the rope cutter tip but the heavy soldering tip will heat up a PL259 and melt solder in 4-5 seconds. Based on those results I'll bet it would cut rope just as fast. Based on the specs, the Sailrite is rated at 60 Watts vs the Weller at 100/200 (two power settings), the Weller gun should be at least as fast.

The Weller is fairly large and not light so if you do a lot of rope or fabric work a lighter tool might be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
It comes with a case and the fabric cutter attachment. I almost never solder, and have a small soldering pencil for when I do for something small and a small butane torch for anything heavier duty. The Weller is obviously a lot less money.
The Weller comes in a case and includes spare tips.

I do have a couple of small pencil irons for small jobs like electronics, circuit boards and such and a butane for portability. The big Weller gun is mainly for PL 259 connectors that need a lot of heat fast so you get a good joint but don't get the connector so hot that it melts the insulation on the coax. I have kind of forgotten about the rope cutter tip and need to give that a try. I guess it would work for copper pipe if anyone still solders plumbing stuff.
Old 06-05-2016, 13:11   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

The Weller may be the route to go, as it certainly looks like it will work for rope, but I'm not sure it will work as smoothly for finishing fabric edges. I'm tempted by the Pearson because it's a table-top model, leaving (I think) two hands for handling the fabric (maybe).
Old 06-05-2016, 13:41   #10
cruiser

Heißschneider!

Hot Knife and Blade, Cutting and Sewing ToolsÂ*| Sailmaker's Supply

a little higher than your price, but well worth it
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 13:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD28 View Post
Heißschneider!

Hot Knife and Blade, Cutting and Sewing ToolsÂ*| Sailmaker's Supply

a little higher than your price, but well worth it
This does make it complicated!
Old 06-05-2016, 13:56   #12

Ditto on the Sailrite. It is sold by other folks for same price. Glows bright red in 4 seconds. Worth the money. I wonder if the Weller heats up red? kev
VirginiaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fabric, rope